Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Eastbourne cyclists warned over deadly traps
  • brooess
    Free Member

Is that anywhere near SDW?

dlr

Near the end of it but the sdw doesn’t go through it. First case I have heard of there and a serious one. Sabotage on a couple of trails in the nearby Friston has been going on for a while, mentioned in the article

Paceman
    Free Member

I doubt they’d do this on the South Downs Way as it’s used by at least as many walkers and horse riders as it is mountain bikers. It’s awful though and only a matter of time before someone is injured 👿

rewski
    Free Member

Paradise MTB is a small dedicated area at the bottom of the old SDW route. Not actually on the SDW. This area is well signposted with ends of runs fenced off to slow riders down. I was over Friston at the weekend and a few berms have been kicked in and made structurally unsafe, a wooden ramp jump totally destroyed, the usual logs and big flint boulders left in the middle of trails. I hope this doesn’t end badly.

richardthird

Very sad, I’m local too. Will keep an eye and let others know.

There is big anti-cycling venom from the coffin dodgers angry that cyclists are [at last] being allowed to cycle along parts of the prom, instead of being squished by holiday traffic on the busy road.

Apart from this, it’s an absolutely fantastic area to ride bikes, on or off the road.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

This is crazy, what are these people hoping to achieve?!

I ride through Friston now and then, don’t see it on the main fireroads but remember a while ago finding logs and branches across some of the routes in the woods, never see anyone doing this sort of thing but guess you’d have to be lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

Some of those routes throuh the forest are graded for family use so you get parents with their kids riding around. There are some strange people around these days!

Legoman
    Free Member

Story picked up by the Beeb too.
    Hope they catch someone and make an example of them
    Click me

Junkyard
    Free Member

we had a guy oop north burying nails embedded in planks just under the mud – clearly more dangerous for walkers than riders as it was a footpath

Seems to just make do with rebuilding a wall – never high enough to stop you and someone built a nice kicker to help you hop over it

jambalaya
    Free Member

We should organize a big ride there with lots of press coverage. Sends a clear message MTB-ers are not going to be intimidated and show the culprits that their behaviour is having an effect opposite of that which they intended.

mrcoley
    Free Member

more wire has been found today on the same trails could of been from left from sunday but they are unsure

rewski
    Free Member

All clear on Sunday, some trails and jumps have been repaired, so hats off to the locals. It was very busy, a Muddyarse club ride apparently, must of been some 40+ riders in Butchershole car park. It was a great day to ride 🙂

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Muddyarse club ride

Yep, 44 of us we think 🙂 Separate groups, mind. Glorious, glorious day.

IMG_3604 by Rich_F_, on Flickr

No good trails here. no Siree 🙂

TM

crawf44
    Free Member

good to see the police taking it serious – police incident tape and incident posters still up in the area – no evidence of any further sabotage since, just lots of litter from the youth that use it as a party zone after dark!

crawf44
    Free Member

good to see the police taking it serious – police incident tape and incident posters still up in the area – no evidence of any further sabotage since, just lots of litter from the youth that use it as a party zone after dark!

takisawa2

I stealthily watched an old lady drag a log almost her size across a main mixed use trail in Hopwas Woods, nr Lichfield. I rode up just as she was walking off, & dragged the thing well out the way as she watched. When I asked why she had done it she maintained it wasn’t her.
    Silly cow.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Eastbourne cyclists warned over deadly traps’ is closed to new replies.