Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • East Lothian routes?
  • franco
    Free Member

Anyone got any suggestions for rides/routes in East Lothian? Around the Gifford/Bolton area. Nothing too technical as the wife will be with me. Some nice long singletrack/bridleways would be nice (to encourage her that riding a mtb is actually fun!!)

Anyone with local knowledge care to impart some wisdom?

Thanks in advance.

tjagain

John muir way? I know a really nice circular route from edinburgh – pencaitland railway path, woodland paths to haddington, old railway to longnidry, back along the foreshore

south of Gifford there is a lot of tracks for the grouse shooting estates which are rideable but the hills are fairly steep suych as Longyester up onto lammer law and down again to stobsheil the range of hills just north of Haddington the Garelton hills is a nice path along the top of the ridge but IIRC gets a bit faint at the west end.

We don’t have bridleways in scotland 🙂

jamiep
    Free Member

Pencaitland railway path for quiet and very gentle. Look at the East Lothian Rough Stuff audax, which uses it for part of the route. Not rough, suitable for a gravel bike

tjagain

If you use the pencaitland railway path there is a side loop at ormiston that goes north and east towards new winton then south again back to the railway at Winton house thru a strip of woodland that is very nice – again easy stuff but very pleasant. there are also MTB trails in Saltoun woods but its a few years since I have been there

Interested in any of these I can mark up a map for you. Can’t do gpx or owt tho

epicyclo

There’s a 50km offroad audax on Sunday. Did it last year, Dalkeith heading east and looping back.

Easy path riding and nice scenery.

We’re doing it again (on road bikes) but a simple mtb would be the best set up. (No need for suspension)

Even if you don’t do it, you can copy the route and pick out bits you like.

stanfree
    Free Member

Round here there are some great trails from Gifford . Also look on the map for Butterdean wood , Saltoun wood or Carberry if you want little downhill trails. Do you live locally. ?

tomd
    Free Member

I used to live near there. If your looking for easy + maximum enjoyment how about exploring the JMW mixed with coastal from Longniddry towards N Berwick? There are some nice bits of singletrack and spectacular beaches. N Berwick is a lovely place to finish up. You can use the train to do it one way. It was always my favourite ride in that area. Around Gifford there some easy tracks but once you head into the hills there are some very tough climbs onto a bleak landscape!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Stanfree is never at work, he’ll show you round.

franco
    Free Member

Big thanks. I live in the Lakes, just up for a couple of days for the wifes birthday (trying to persuade her that biking is a fantastic passtime! 😉 )

I’ll check these suggestions out on Viewranger and see what i can come up with.

Sounds like a great place to ride though.

epicyclo

East Lothian scenery on Sunday’s offroad Audax. 🙂

That was the best photo I managed to get. Biblical rain and mud, and often visibility was in yards.

But it is a great set of local trails.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘East Lothian routes?’ is closed to new replies.