Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 135 total)
  • East Lothian Rideout, 24.10.10. Autumn delight…
  • ton

tis very satisfying, organising a ride and meeting all the people off here.
    the stw northern chapter rides have been some of the best rides i have ever done….. 8)

yodagoat
    Free Member

we’ll sort a wee run around saltoun woods or something and have a couple of pints at the end.

stanfree
    Free Member

Yoda , Saltoun and Humbie woods , Glenkinchie , Pencitland , round Woodhall , Pencaitland via Winton house , New Winton woods then onto Butterdean then back to Saltoun .
    Though thinking about It better started In pencaitland then you could get a beer in the wee boozer there and folk can park there cars.

Diane
    Free Member

Thanks Bruce – will keep an eye out – would be nice to meet some new folk – will see if i can drag Hels along some time too

GW
    Free Member

stanfree – I have a loop that takes in all that ^^ and more.

starting from mine (not far from ‘kinchie)..

fancy it?

stanfree
    Free Member

Aye GW sounds goods thats sort of my local little loop but starting from Tranent , Though Its probably to short for a STW ride out . Im on hols this week so will probably be out about on the bike.

GW
    Free Member

the route I was thinking is 20miles, add on a wee jaunt from ormiston to Carberry and it’d be over 30. prob less than a mile of it on road. just not sure I’d have enough fitness to guide at the front all the way round.

druidh
    Free Member

Todays ride was a massive 27km…..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

some of us did 25km before the start
    *smug*

stanfree
    Free Member

Could make for a great night ride GW , Only Butterdean and the Kinchie trail suffer from waterlogging the rest stay pretty dry .

GW
    Free Member

some of us did 25km before the start
    *smug*

I rode 7 miles or so too (about the same since I only have one pair of legs?) 😉

GW
    Free Member

aye, Stan..

I’d be up for some nightriding, can’t ever do Wednesdays or Fridays but should be able to manage any other night fine.

MussEd
    Free Member

That looks a good day. Wished I’d come now, too shy though. Bit stupid really…

coastkid
    Free Member

GW and stanfree, happy to lead after a recce…
    need to reopen humbie kirk riverside back to saltoun…there from Costertoun mains (near windy mains) to Humbie mains is a nice loop…
    theres are loads and loads of options 😮
    then theres the lammys from gifford, garvald or stenton, + up blackcastle from Oldhamstocks… loads of recce rides this winter 😮

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

YOu should have come along MussEd – no one bites – not even me

sharki
    Free Member

Brads wibbly wheel in action here.

Sorry for lack of quality from the vid and it’s length.
    No way of editing it on this wee notebook thing, also i was holding the camera in my hand to film it.
    Brads wheel.

GW
    Free Member

coastkid – here’s a couple of links to a rough route I’ve created on OSexplore (sorry, ’bout as tech as I get with computers/GPS etc 😳 ).. wouldn’t really need recce’d but I’d gladly show you round most of it sometime.

http://explore.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/os_routes/show/20070
    +
    http://explore.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/os_routes/show/20071

cynic-al
    Free Member

R0011010

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GW – I know some of the second route – some really nice riding to be had round there

coastkid
    Free Member

i know most of that area GW so proberly ridden the trails so just need to get a loop sorted,maybe get out a sunday with stanfree and Mike for a recce… 😮

yodagoat
    Free Member

sounds good to me.

coastkid
    Free Member

a couple of films,2 cameras mounted on 2 bikes,

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bIw6SNBOFU[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z2LlKr_H10[/video]

househusband

need to reopen humbie kirk riverside back to saltoun…

We started on that a few years ago!

yodagoat
    Free Member

Whats the song on the 2nd video?

coastkid
    Free Member

songs on film 2 are rifles then stop by Black Rebal Motorcycle Club 😮

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

What a freak show,all those bikes and only Sharki is on a proper one 😉
    Nice vids again CK.

GW
    Free Member

Been out lastnight and ridden the first half of the local loop (first one I linked to earlier). I started from the Pub in Pencaitland rather than at mine and it took about 2hrs to get round to mine. – Basically start in local woods follow the tyne east, cross it by bridge , follow it on the other bank a bit further out to a wee farm and loop round to Saltoun Hall, ride through grounds and out past the Western coach house, freewheel down the road to Saltoun big wood for a lap of that taking in some of the nicer singletrack, head along past “the ducks” to the railway track, do one nice fast wooded singletrack blast then cut across a field to mine.
    thinking we’d do the first half, stop for half time refreshments at mine before continuing on with the second leg (Woodhall/Wolfstarwoods/ormiston/Winton/wintonhill) another 1-2hrs depending on exact route – has a lot less gates and isn’t as tight or technical and end with a few pints in the pub.

The good – it’s mainly nice fun singletrack, only has 2 very short road sections and even with the recent rain there was only one (40sec tops) steep single track climb in Saltoun woods I couldn’t do (with a baldy minion on the back)

The bad – 19 stile/fence/gates (although a few are openable). a lot of the riverside single track is fairly technical and I’d say too tight for a tandem (alternate routes round could be done but IMO you’d be missing out big time TJ&MrsTJ).

What do you think to doing this sometime next month?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have no issue with going over gates – or no more so than I would on a solo

Depends just how tight and tricky. Its not so much we can’t ride it as if we are stopping and starting a lot we would be quicker walking it.

Don’t make us the people it depends on. Pick your route and we join in or not as appropriate

GW
    Free Member

Don’t flatter yourself 😛 simply being honest (as ever 😳 )

like I said, if it’s too tight, alternate routes are available 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How tight and tricky? were you taking dabs? just trying to guage how tricky. Step ups? tight turns? How did it compare to the one tricky bit on Bruces first east lothian ride?

coastkid
    Free Member

up for this sunday with paul and HH and maybe mike too GW…dont have a contact number so HH gonna text you my number etc…there is great trails around you for a day loop 😮
    hopefully see you at weekend…

GW
    Free Member

the worst section can be avoided entirely by going up a steep climb that we’d be passing the top of anyway.. this section is prob slightly more tricky than Bruces one. the rest will prob just be a quick dab/tripod/push over n get back on.
    tricky to say not being a Tandemeer myself 😉

GW
    Free Member

Cool Bruce! and Ta Andy!

(bloody hell, thought I might have had a few weeks to get a little fitter 😳 )

😉

GW
    Free Member

oh.. also tried to post up on’t other channel but it seems to be buggered

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmmmmm. the problem is geting on and off takes a bit of time so getting on and off means we are very slow rather than merely slowish.

Ta

GW
    Free Member

TJ – You wouldn’t really hold us up, group rides are a faff fest anyway, especially a big group riding anything with gates/stiles and we’d wait for you anyway.
    us local boys’ll do a recce/trial of the route this Sunday and let you know what we think to my suggestions for slight detours pour le tandem.
    😉

stanfree
    Free Member

GW I will find out tomorrow If Im working Sunday , If not Ill be up for a wee East Lothian blast . What time were you thinking ?.

GW
    Free Member

Been round the second half of the route last night. it’s around an hour and a half and was pretty much bone dry, even though it was raining, go figure? East Lothian rocks!! 😆

How about we meet at 11 at the pub? blast round the first half, cake n drinks at mine, second half and end at the pub.

coastkid
    Free Member

see you at the dragon cruiser 11am Sunday 😮

stanfree
    Free Member

Sorry not going to make It as Ive sold my soul to some Overtime , I couldn’t knock It back as Its few and far between and so close to Xmas. Still on holiday from next Saturday afternoon so no excuses for next week If there’s anything happening. Enjoy folks.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘East Lothian Rideout, 24.10.10. Autumn delight…’ is closed to new replies.