Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • East Leeds types – Does Temple Newsam have any riding?
  • igm

I’ve heard rumours there’s enough around Temple Newsam to make an after work night ride, but I can’t find it.
    Am I a) misinformed or b) looking in the wrong places?
    And if anyone knows better would they be willing to show a few of us round?

chilli
    Free Member

Hi,I’ve ridden in Tempsi for years there’s loads of nice singletrack in the woods,linking it all together is the difficult bit,tend to use the crappy official B/W(DOG SH*T ALLEY) to do this,but there’s easily enough for an hour and half night ride,I usually do one night a week in there,let me know if you want showing around. 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Just watch out for scroats

ajf
    Free Member

Chilli, you mind if I tag along next time you are out there?

IanMmmm
    Free Member

There’s a bit of riding there, yes. The official permissive bridleway down my the new A63 and the bottom of the golf course is OK when it’s dry. You’ve got a mini DH/4x style track in the woods near the running track which was built by Leeds MTB (there’s some talk on their forum of extending this at the moment I think) and there are some other tracks in the woods running down from Bullerthorpe Lane through Avenue Woods.

Some odd characters hang out in the woods sometimes, but I guess that’s a standard feature of semi-urban night riding right? Let me know when you’re heading up and I’ll join you if I’m not away working.

I

Smuzzy
    Free Member

A small crowd of us have a 15 mile route that we regularly ride from Micklefield woods, through Aberford/Parlington eatate, mainly bridleways with a couple of slightly more techy sections. Easy to add temple Newsham on to make it a 25 miler. Anyone is very welcome to join us, tend to Ride Wednesday and Friday eves, followed by a couple of beers.

firestarter
    Free Member

Never knew there were that many local im in ls14

chilli
    Free Member

Chilli, you mind if I tag along next time you are out there?

More the merrier,i’ll post up on here when we’re riding,probably be Wednesdeay night.

Broady
    Free Member

I sometimes have a potter around there, few nice little sections.

igm

Excellent and thanks for the offer of rides out – I’m out round Wakefield tomorrow night with some guys from work, and then I’m tied up until after the weekend but I’ll try to drop an email or two through and see what can be arranged.

Tuesday is the regular works ride out (which varies from 2 to 6 bodies for 10 to 20 or so miles depending whose along) but I’d happily either tag along on someone else’s ride if they’ll have me or bring the works guys out if that suits.

Sadly the one night I can’t do is Wednesday (seemingly everyone else’s favourite) as my wife is at yoga and I look after our little boy – Fridays sound very possible though.

firestarter
    Free Member

I could prob join in sometimes as I work shifts its hard to make regular club meets and a change of scenery is always nice

toxicsoks
    Free Member

S’ages since I’ve ridden in Tempsi – sign me up. *based in Roundhay*

anotherstan
    Free Member

Never knew there were that many local…

just what i was thinking.

i wouldn’t mind tagging along on a ride, but working nights all week so could only make the Friday.

CHB

Another from East Leeds here (well bottom of Bullerthorpe Lane).

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Friday is good for me too. Can’t do Wednesday as I’m working away.

richteabiscuit
    Free Member

Work at Normanton Industrial Estate so depending on meet up time could be up for a ride. Change of scenery would be good and haven’t been round this area for a while.. if you can accommodate another I’ll sort some lights out.

ajf
    Free Member

Can’t do tonight but can do future Wednesdays (broke my handlebar mount so waiting on a new one).

Can do any other night with a bit of notice.

toxicsoks you ride from Roundhay much on an evening? Give me a shout if you fancy a ride from home as I am Roundhay based as well.

ton

can i come too please…………i know this area very well.

soulrider
    Free Member

its a long time since I have ridden and lived that way, but near Garforth and Kippax there were always some good and interesting singletrack stuff!

pstokes99
    Free Member

I’d be up for a ride around there – been meaning to go and have a look around for ages but always end up going Adel/Meanwood instead (I’m in Alwoodley).

oblique
    Free Member

I work realy quite close to there. If there is an “official” STW ride orginised I might well be interested.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Tony, we need to ressurect the Micklefield night runs, do you still get out with Martin and Ian?

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Anyone fancy a weekend ride? Sat or sun morning. I’m at Methley (as is anotherstan) and also link up Garforth (fly line) Aberford, Parlington, Barwick, Scholes and Tempy. The bit arround golf course is good, plus we also go over the road towards canal where there is some interesting bits.
    Also into Rothwell country park where theres some nice loops.

I say weekend as my lights knakt at present.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Me and a couple of mates would be game for that, possibly not this weekend, but any other after that

anotherstan
    Free Member

…weekend ride? Sat or sun morning.

sounds good to me steve, either, or even both? 😉 early is best though.

igm

This is getting some momentum.

Steve – might be able to lend some lights for rides

Weekend rides are good – (very) early Saturday goes down best round here.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

OK, lets keep this going, if anyone is interested, drop me a mail with the times/days you can make it and where you are located, I’ll pull something together that suits most. Not promising the first ride will be the best, but if we can then pool our local knowledge, we should be able to come up with some good routes. Like IGM, I have a couple of sets of spare lights if anyone requires.

Mail in profile

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Right. Saturday morning ride.
    How about if me and anotherstan set off early from Methley. We could then meet up with others en-route?
    If we left at 8.00am (or 7.30 if you prefer Stan) we could be at Garforth/Micklefield etc. well before 9.00
    Alternatively we could arrange a start/meeting point for all.
    If all goes well we could then arrange for another ride next week. Thoughts….

igm

Like it – but not this weekend. I’ll be out the weekend after if anyone’s up for it then.

anotherstan
    Free Member

saturday morning = good, i’m in 😀

djglover
    Free Member

What out for the gypos

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

7.30 then Stan?
    Meet you outside my caravan 😉
    We will be doing dis rlway to Garforth, fly line to Aberford, BW to A64, BW to Parlington, Barwick, Scholes, BW to Manston, Temple Newsam, loop to canal, return to Methley.

anotherstan
    Free Member

steve, which tyres for …dis rlway to Garforth, fly line to Aberford, BW to A64, BW to Parlington, Barwick, Scholes, BW to Manston, Temple Newsam, loop to canal, return to Methley?

7:30 it is.

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

It’s gonna be fast mate, don’t bother with anything nobbly, slicks will do 😉
    If anyone else wants to join us we could meet up along the way, the route can be very flexible.

Stainypants

I grew up in east leeds just besides tempy. 20 years ago I used to ride my far to big Diamond Back Topanga around the woods I was the only person i knew with a proper mountain bike. I was happy blasting around never worrying about the size of my pack or if my no name tyres had the right tread. my biggest regret was chucking the bike in the tip a few years ago when drive train and brakes were nicked off it at work whilst i was stuck in hospital.

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Good ride today, Tempy was a bit gloopy in places but good fun.
    Post up IGM if you fancy a ride out next weekend – or midweek if a spare light is available….

igm

I’m back – why do people choose to live in London? Visit yes, but live – I couldn’t.

Yes – I have a spare light (one set Ay-Ups and one Spokelights), so mid-week is fine, or early Saturday is getting the thumbs up from the other end of the sofa.

Oggles
    Free Member

Bugger, I’ve been working in Seacroft for the last year but never explored any further east or south. I never thought about asking the STW massive! Back at Uni now though 🙁

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘East Leeds types – Does Temple Newsam have any riding?’ is closed to new replies.