Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • east highland way
  • robido

has anyone done it and is it any good. was thinking of doing it in june when up there for the downhill

matt_outandabout

Fort William is not east 😐

oliwb
    Free Member

That’ll be the WEST Highland Way then…

robido

east highland way is a new route fort bill to aviemore

matt_outandabout

Nope, it goes Fort William to Aviemore….

West Highland Way is still there…

br
    Free Member

I walked a version of it many years ago, very remote.

Kbrembo
    Free Member
    tomd
    Free Member

Anyone biked it recently? Sounds interesting,

DougD

Been thinking about this, could make for a good biking trip:

Whw – bit of biking in fort bill – ehw stopping in at laggan – on to aviemore for some natural stuff up there.

robido

looks ok on the web site so think ill give it a go in june then down to glentress on the way home

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m going to give it a whirl soon. A loop from Pitlochry, Loch Rannoch, Glen Lyon, Bridge of Orchy, WHW to Fort William, EHW to Loch Laggan, Culra Bothy, Dalwhinnie, Pitlochry.

fasthaggis

Sounds like a great loop that Mr McM .

skink2020

It most certainly does Mr McM.
    Just had a look on google earth.
    An epic trip.

matt_outandabout

McM – sounds teh awesomeness.

stabilizers

Interesting choice of name. More central highland way. Never the less it looks a good route. Done lots of it in bits.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It should be a good loop, I just need the days to be a bit longer before I tackle it.

robido

so has no one done it

robido

just got the route guide from amazon. it looks good plenty to see and goes past laggan wolftrax so will do a lap round there

mcmoonter
    Free Member

just got the route guide from amazon

+1, if the days would just be lighter a little longer I’d be out there. Camped out for twelve hours of darkness doesn’t appeal just now.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I did it in a day last year, albeit, it was a day with a relentless headwind, about 0 degrees and snowing in parts, so I used the road a bit to short cut some sections. Started out nicely, but I was being battered with hail/snow showers at regular intervals in the second half. A nice big day out with good scenery but no real interest in the riding – lots of firetrack etc. No doubt I’d have enjoyed it more in better conditions and with the usual prevailing south westerly.

I have the GPS plots below if they might be of interest, although I used a lot of road in the second half (I was cold, wet and thought I was running late for my train home, although ended up being rather early). The first half is fairly accurate to the route. There is a bit of a detour off Loch Laggan too I think, due to forestry work at the time.

Bear in mind that it is not signposted, so a Garmin 800 or similar might be useful unless you want to check a map periodically.

Let me know if you want any more info.

Section 1
    Section 2
    Section 3
    Section 4
    Section 5

scotroutes

TBH, I’m not convinced that it’s a very good route. When I did a Fort William – Moray Firth ride via Aviemore I knew I wanted to do the Corrieyairick as part of it and also to incorporate some of the old Wade Road East of the A9 so just made up my own route.

robido

thanx pixel nice pictures

flatfish
    Free Member

Found this last year but didn’t have time to do it. Might try it later this year.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘east highland way’ is closed to new replies.