Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • East Essex – Shoeburyness access etc..
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

As part of my “finding out whats east” trek I’m taking the CX’er from Canvey Island and riding to the end of Shoeburyness, the MOD range.
    I see there are restrictions, but there are bridleways and PROW’s all over it so thinking at least some of the little lanes would be good then planning a route on there then head back.
    Fancy taking in the Bird life too and really just an explorative trek. Done most bits of Canvey through Tilbury, but never been East.
    Doable?
    I ask as I’ve seen a lot of MTB tyre tracks in the places I’ve been so far so clearly a lot of guys use this area..

Just wondering.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Can I bump this for the wide awake crowd?

Ta

nickjb
    Free Member

Can’t really help with that area but but the next lump up, East of Rochford you can ride round a fair bit of it on the sea wall. Quite scenic. Not ridden it for ages so no idea of the current state. There’s work going on at Wallasea Island (RSPB sanctuary so good for birds and snakes) which may restrict it a bit. Worth an explore.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

GRRRRRRRR

I just typed out a blow by blow account then closed the window…..

Grrrrrrr

My old stomping ground more to follow if I can be arsed to do it all again

But you can do it all no worries apart from the last little bit at the end of Southend sea front (Uncle Toms) around to East Beach.

Oh and the little section between Old Leigh and Westcliff if it busy… walk it, it’s half a mile long and not worth detouring

Will have ago again later with tales of summer days and mis-spent youth

or please ask more questions

bikebouy
    Free Member

Oh cheers that’d be great. Really I’d love to know more.

Planned a route that now starts there, comes through Southend then up to Canvey and on to Tilbury.

Theres a whole day there what with stopping off Bird watching 8)

CHeers !!

cinnamon_girl

Not helpful at all but Wilko Johnson used to give guided tours on Canvey Island, there’s some brilliant Youtube vids of Dr Feelgood playing in Essex. There’s also a documentary of them featuring Canvey Island, extraordinary looking place! What a brilliant band. 8)

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Southend to Canvey … the prevailing wind is easterly … and if its blowing it will be in your grill the vast majority of the way and may make it a bit of a grind ??? If bird watching is the thing then maybe do it the original way with the wind blowing you along as you gaze at your feathered friends…. And if it’s OK that’s the way I pen it here.

So presuming you made your way on the Canvey and have got to the Lobster Smack Pub (featured in Dickens and Cin’ girl’s Dr Feelgood film, Oil City Confidential… find it on youtube) at Canvey’s western “shore” seems the wrong word … edge is probably better… get on the sea wall and ride east past the old oil refinery (my mum worked there 40 odd years ago) past Thorny Bay caravan park and the actual little pokey bay, past my first flat to the Labworth Café (designed by the same fella that did Sydney opera house !!… the lad did well, just I bit of a step up there from canvey sea front to Sydney harbour …lol )

The “Sea Front” is next and far too much time was spent in the arcades by me as a teenager and then it’s Concorde Beach… wasn’t called that when we’d go up there every day in the summer holidays after Wacaday finished !! Mud fights and crabbing when the tide was out and waiting to jump over the wash from the big container ships as they past when the tide was in… happy days … my kids do it now when they visit my mum and dad, they still live in the same home in a road that you’ll pass just after the Windjammer. After that, you pass the Jetty …. many a sunny afternoon was had jumping off of that … and past Park Lane, home of the might Gulls… Canvey Island FC…. It’s about here you’ll see RIP Sid graffitied on the Sea wall… :D?

Next up is the Point and it’s here the marsh starts as you round the eastern edge of Canvey to its northern side, just here you’ll find Smallgains Marina where the worlds first production catamaran was built… around Canvey Heights “country park” the sight of the old tip and where a pal torched his motor after he was involved in an accident 😯

Alone this northern edge you’ll be heading west pass the 4th Canvey Sea Scout compound… wish I’d stuck as scouts a bit longer, so I could have messed about on the water here more… onto the golf course and now you are coming off … “The Rock” as school pals used to call Canvey ( I went to school in Westcliff)

Now here you have a choice… immediately after going over the bridge take the little left road for more sea wall/marsh action and presumably more birds … ? (just carry on until you reach Two Tree Island and Leigh station from the opposite side of the railways lines to what follows below)

Or

Make your way to Benfleet rail station and head up the steep road around the back… this will take you up onto the “downs” … here, all paths east will lead to the Olympic MTB course… most of which you’ll be able to tear around on your CX. After that carry on to Hadleigh castle, head up the gravel track for views of pretty much all that you have ridden and all that you will, guess you are about half way here… down the hill on the left as you look out over the Estuary and onto Leigh-on-sea Rail station.

Take the road/bridge immediately to the left of the station and just as you pass over take the steps down on the left… this will bring you out on the little road between the railway line and the Cockle sheds. Make your way along here and stop off at Osbourne’s opposite the Crooked Billet for half a pint of cockles and winkles … now after you past through Old Leigh and the little beach there’s a tight walk way… (the one I mention in the first post)… this is the only part where you may have to walk.

Onto and past Chalkway Station and now you’re at Westcliff and the start on the cycle lane that runs the length of Southend seafront … (beware using it, peeps just step off the pavement onto it)… you’ll see Rossi’s Ice cream parlour (don’t choose chocolate, it was tasteless last Sunday) the Pier (natch) and Kersaal (one of the worlds first amusement parks) … then its Thorpe bay … if the tides is out see if you can see the Mulberry Habour (it’s a wreck that’s packed with explosives and too dangerous to do anything with )

And that’s pretty much it. The far eastern end of the sea front is knowns as Uncle Toms.. good for kitesurfing.. it’s here where you have to head inland past the Shorehouse pub and take a left down Campfield road to East Beach… wasn’t much there last time I visited but there was a pretty good bakers in the little parade of shops.

Have fun, again ask away if you need any more info

bikebouy
    Free Member

That’s utterly brilliant!

Cheers.

I’ll add those routes into my planned route and now have some great insights to the area (which is why I asked)

I know the Lobster Smack well(it’s where I tend to park when heading to the bird sanctuary just along the seawall heading towards the oil refinery) and then a swift half 😀

avdave2

I worked for 7 years at AWE on Foulness. Phone the pub in the village (if it’s still there, it’s been nearly 20 years since I last went) and tell them you’re coming up for a drink and give your name. Arrive at police gate at Great Wakering and tell them you are going to the pub. They will call the pub and confirm and let you through. That’s at least how it used to work.
    There were 2 pubs at one time, the second one run by a couple so elderly and infirm that the regulars just served themselves and put the money in the till.
    When the island flooded in 1957 some of those evacuated who were in their 70’s and 80’s had never left the island before, it truly is a strange place. I often used to enjoy a lunchtime ride on the Island as well as the commute.All the cyclists would be held at the AWE gate until the coaches had left on the way home, this led to us all riding together and some great bunch sprints at the Wakering gate. It’s also always good when every driver on the road knows that you know who they are 🙂

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Pleasure … I do it with you but not sure I’d keep up on a 26″ HT and the fact I havent ridden my bike in donkeys.

Make sure to you report back with what you saw/did

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘East Essex – Shoeburyness access etc..’ is closed to new replies.