Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Easily removeable Quicklink for a Bracelet. Do They Exist?
  • wombat

I’d linke to make a bracelet out of a length of cycle chain as a present for a friend (using new chain, not some that’s been on my bike for months).

I could take a section of chain of the required length and then join it round their wrist using a quick link but having it as an almost permanent installation is likely to be inconvenient. 😀

I’m therefore looking for a method of connecting the two ends of the chain together that can be easily undone so the bracelet can be put on and off easily without the need for tools.

Ideally I’d like it to look as much like a standard chain link as possible.

Do such things exist?

If not, does anyone have any bright ideas as to how I could make one?

everyone
    Free Member

Could you not solder something like this on? If you get one with a big enough loop I reckon it would fit through a hole in the inner plate.

wombat

I bought one of these with the intention of passing the roller pin of a chain through the rear hole in the picture and using the screw loop to pass through the hole in the chain where the pin would normally go.

It arrived this morning but is far too big unfortunately.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lemonysam
    Free Member

could careful filing loosen the connection to make it less permanent?

joshvegas
    Free Member

You could just file the slopt a bit. BUT

Quick links are strong I’d want something that will give if iits snagged on something

lemonysam
    Free Member

alternatively, a notched pin on a chain which replaces one of the link pins?

unovolo
    Free Member

A bit of google fu shows this.

The last one looks cleanest and most professional imo, you would probably need to be looking at straps or bracelets from a ladies watch to find a narrow clasp to fit a bike chain though.

CountZero

Could you not use one of the old style removable links like this:

It would be relatively easy to slide the retaining ‘plate’ off one-handed, instead of trying to remove a connector like this:

which requires the chain to be flexed sideways, and over time wear would probably make it even easier, and would only require the open ends to be closed up a bit with pliers if it gets too slack.
    A lobster-claw type bracelet fastener would have to be huge to fit a bike chain.

firestarter
    Free Member

Ive got an old one like the first pic count zero linked to. Very easy to remove

CountZero

That’s what I was thinking, used to have them on the chain on my first full-sized bike, a BSA with SA three-speed; could pretty much push the clip off with a thumbnail. Should do the job nicely, get a stainless chain, and a chrome-plated link, jobs a good ‘un. 😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

Don’t ride in it; friend of mine fell off wearing his when we were at school. Resulted in a huge scar as it was forced up his arm!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Easily removeable Quicklink for a Bracelet. Do They Exist?’ is closed to new replies.