Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • easiest way to unlock phone?
  • sadexpunk

googled, but no definite answer. all seems quite complicated or tailored to US phones.

basically ive got an HTC desire HD, using a giffgaff sim (02 network). ive now got a 3 sim that i want to use, but i cant get connected. it doesnt say different sim is required, but it just doesnt work.
    ive been in the APNs and chosen 3, ive selected 3 as my preferred network, but still no joy.

is my phone locked? how can i tell for definite? or are there any settings that ive missed changing?
    if it is locked, ive got my IMEI, whats the best way of unlocking? ive rooted phones before, so not scared of a bit of fiddling around 😀

thanks

jambalaya
    Free Member

Where did you get the phone from, was it originally part of a contract ? If it is locked you may need more than an IMEI code. Backstreet shops can do it but official is best

BTW I am £20 poorer and have been waiting 5 weeks for T-Mobile to unlock my iPhone, it should take 3 days 🙁 on the phone with them as I type

sadexpunk

it was bought from a mate, who was probably on an 02 contract. thats why giffgaff works. ive rooted the phone but thought it was unlocked too, im maybe wrong about that tho.
    any easy way of finding out?

ta

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andytherocketeer

the mate should have got it unlocked via o2 before he sold it. if he’d had it for the complete duration of that subsidized contract, then o2 have to unlock it for free.
    if he’s off contract now, and not on another subsidised phone, then get him to unlock it? (might need his sim back in it for a day or so to do that?)

sadexpunk

nah, think hes on vodafone now, ive had this for a few years on giffgaff :-/ ill have to see if i can find someone else on 02 then i reckon.

cheers

jambalaya
    Free Member

if he’d had it for the complete duration of that subsidized contract, then o2 have to unlock it for free.

@andy
    , t-mobile insisted I pay £20 even though I have had the phone for the full 2 years

@sadex – yes my understanding is that you have to have a sim from the original provider in the phone to unlock it fully. I tried to unlock an old out of contract iPhone 4 from vodafone but was told it was not possible without the vodafone sim. I was alsotold vodafone was the hardest to unlock by backstreet shops, O2 is doable but clearly will not be free.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘easiest way to unlock phone?’ is closed to new replies.