Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Earth's Temperature Timeline
  • bencooper
    Free Member

Very powerful stuff from XKCD:

theteaboy
    Free Member

That’s brilliant! (The infographic, not the trend…)

shermer75
    Free Member

Wow that’s good!

boxelder

Luckily desertification will provide more and more sand for people to stick their heads in….. 😥

legend
    Free Member

Load of crap, it’s 3 degree colder today than it was yesterday.

jekkyl

BCE = ?

perchypanther
    Free Member

BCE = ?

Before Common Era

It’s BC for atheists.

sbob
    Free Member

Which Volkswagen should I buy to help stop this?

thecaptain
    Free Member

(Before) common era is the new PC alternative to BC/AD. Yes it’s a nice graphic and the vertical representation is good but it could be criticised a bit on scientific grounds

eg https://twitter.com/thirstygecko/status/775386499852357633

JAG

So an infographic that explains temperature deviations over 22,100 years is considered statistically significant and a reliable predictor for a planet that is 4,500,000,000 years old??????

Hhmmmmm interesting take on Science someone has there 🙄

deadkenny
    Free Member

Blah blah blah “Hockey Stick! OMG!!! 😯 “

Yeah, same old, just in a social media trendy picture.

Let’s zoom out to millions/billions of years.

Not a denier though. We may be f’ked, but I’ll be dead way before then anyway. Just that it’s just one way of playing with statistics.

barkm
    Free Member

CE/BCE been around a very long time (pre 19th century?), has become more common in past two decades as it is now used by academic and science institutions, and government.

Atheists make up a very tiny fraction of the two thirds of the global population that are not Christian, it’s not an atheist thing.

Fun graphic, but that’s all it is, fun 🙂

AdamW
    Free Member

Get ready for the usual crowd of PhD climatologists and fluid dynamics geniuses.

Or, as the rest of us call them, the proof of the Dunning-Kreuger effect.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Yes, the use of BCE/Ce is the key thing to be concerned about from that diagram.

Is there even any evidence that BCE is a thing or did this Mr CD just decide it?

also I think we can all agree now Internet is destroying the world.

boxelder

For those pointing out temperature fluctuations over billions of years, humans have only been around for a little while, and change has never been so rapid. Surely worth trying to reverse the trend – even if just to prove how awesome we are?

BillOddie

Bollocks – Global warming is a massive conspiracy thought up by lefies! *

(* I jest, but many ‘Muricans believe this, incicdently they also believe in Creationism…)

shermer75
    Free Member

Yes it’s a nice graphic and the vertical representation is good but it could be criticised a bit on scientific grounds

*claims scientific higher ground* ? *uses twitter link as source* lolzzz 🙂

bartesque

Rubbish not even a mention of Pirates!

thecaptain
    Free Member

The twitter link is to a scientist who does this sort of thing for a living.

legend
    Free Member

I get paid to do stuff for a living – doesn’t mean I’m any good at it

mrmo
    Free Member

Bollocks – Global warming is a massive conspiracy thought up by lefies! *

(* I jest, but many ‘Muricans believe this, incicdently they also believe in Creationism…)

first error the earth is only 4500years old so how can the graph be right?

DrJ

Twitter link posted previously:
    The key point is
    10. Does any of this mean the planet isn’t warming rapidly because of anthropogenic GHGs? No, it definitely is.

tynemouthmatt
    Free Member

I found it is better to explain the carbon cycle to people who question the science deriving past climate variation.

As long as they accept increased carbon in the atmosphere causes warming then they come to the logical conclusion.

somafunk

Visualisation of the warmest August on record from those Nasa boffins

maccruiskeen

I jest, but many ‘Muricans believe this,

I think very few believe it, its just that for many its politically expedient to say they do. For republicans if you were to accept that climate change is
    a) happening
    and
    b) man-made
    then you have to also accept that its the job of government to do something about it

But for republicans a central tenet of republicanism is small-government. It would be un-republican to do anything about climate change so they have to resist the conclusion that its happening. And one of they way they resist this is by….

incicdently they also believe in Creationism

ridiculing scientists. Not least because ‘scientists’ also tend to liberals too.

ddmonkey

This year has been very very warm, every month. I get the feeling that in the future people will look back at 2016 as the year that global temperature rise feedback loop really kicked in… we will probably know for sure in 10 years time, and by then I am pretty sure it will be too late to do much about it.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I knew Nine Inch Nails had some hard core fans but I never knew they were pre-historic.

nickc

incicdently they also believe in Creationism

to be clear, creationism is a political construct to get Christianity taught in American public schools, under the guise of an alternate hypothesis to evolution. No one takes it seriously as a stand alone theory of how life developed (despite what some creationists will tell you)There’s belief in Christianity and along with that the creation myth as told in the bible. There’s little belief in “Creationism” as a science.

onehundredthidiot

Aaaaargh the Pirates graph hurts my brain. Non linearity and heading away from the origin.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Earth's Temperature Timeline’ is closed to new replies.