Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Earplugs for sleeping in – what's good?
  • thepurist

I’m a fairly light sleeper so camping can be a bit of a mare for me – flapping tents, other bevvied up campers singing songs, people pitching tents at 2am etc. all keep me awake. Last time I used some foam ear plugs that were a freebie from an airline and they helped a bit, but is there anything more effective?

DezB
    Free Member

Ones motorcyclists wear?

I found a multi-pack in Wickes. Do the job for me , they are a slightly less porous foam than the airline ones, so a bit better.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you email me yer address, I’ll send ye some, got loads here. Email in profile. The ones I use are called ‘laser lite’.

Greg.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I find the 3M ones to be most comfortable…

bigjim

boots foam ones, the flesh coloured cylinder ones, rather than the tapered ones you get from ppe suppliers. you get different batches of varying performance within the boots foam ones too, I’m a connoisseur…

rocketman
    Free Member

You want some of those gel earplugs. They’re slightly adhesive and after softening them between your fingers they fit in the outer ear. Comfortable and very effective if you don’t care for earplugs that go right inside your ears

Most chemists sell them

footflaps

I always sleep with earplugs, get such a better night’s sleep that way. Bought a box of 200 pairs of ‘Laser Lite’ ear plugs after they got a top review in ‘Ride’ magazine. Still only half way through the box after something like 10 years of daily use!

samuri
    Free Member

I use the Howard Leight Laser Lite ones. I too am a bit of a connoisseur, it’s the only way I can get any decent sleep.

The key with all these plugs though is rolling them up to a cone before inserting so they expand into your ear, block the hole up and stay in there.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

We used earlugs every night in our old flat. The foam ones are pretty limited. The boots wax ones are much much better.

samuri
    Free Member

With the added bonus that the Howard Leight box picture looks a bit like a knob.

bearGrease

Laser Lites here too. The best in 15 years of hotel dwelling.

onandon
    Free Member

I use them every night. much cheaper ordering from ebay.

footflaps

I find rolling them up and licking the ends works best for a clean insertion 😉

glenp
    Free Member

Compared to wax, foam earplugs are more or less useless. Quies are the best, in my experience. Boots not too bad, but huge (cut them in half). Quies all the way – get them from independent chemist. You’re only supposed to use them once – that’s carp – I just re-use them until they’re too disgusting.

Warning though – if you fit them really well they completely cut out ambient sound; so much so that it is a bit weird at first.

simon_g

I like Laser Lites, but they’re a very personal thing. Many of the earplug sellers on ebay have sample packs of a dozen or so different ones to try out. Effective enough to sleep through someone stealing things from our tent at Glastonbury 😐

Wax ones cut out everything. I’d want some kind of sound to come through, in case of some emergency.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I use Macks Sleep Sound. very light sleeper and spend a lot of time camping and staying in hotels.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Boots wax ones get my vote too. Buy them every time we go camping otherwise I’m awake with the birds too.

brokensoul
    Free Member

My company gave everyone the chance of custom fit plugs for work, through a firm called Intersafe.
    I decided to buy some to sleep in, too. They’re much more comfy than the foam plugs I used before.
    http://www.elacin.com/il/en/page/39/Elacin%20Relax

freddyg
    Free Member

As a motorcyclist and partner of a rediculously loud snorer, I’ve been using plugs for years and have settled on the Howard Leight “Max” jobbies.

I bought a mixed bag of loads of varieties from e-bay and found the above the best for me.

I’ve just finished my box of 200 pairs so am looking to top up. I haven’t tried the boots wax ones so may give them a go in bed – don’t fancy using them on the bike though.

Phil_H

I use E.A.R. Soft FX
    Reasonably comfortable & block out most things

technicallyinept
    Free Member

I always use these when I go camping.

They are very effective.

Boots soft silicone earplugs

I tried some cheaper ones (from Amazon) but they just aren’t very sticky compared to the Boots ones.

thepurist

Well Nobeerinthefridge is kindly sorting me out with some to try, and thanks to all the other suggestions – I’ll try a few (including those Quies if they’re as good as glenp says) and maybe get some kip next time.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Earplugs for sleeping in – what's good?’ is closed to new replies.