Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • earphones – recommendaations
  • M6TTF
    Free Member

The wires on my Shure ones have finally started cracking, so looking for replacements. Not looking too spend – The Soundmagic E10s look to be great VFM,but I remember people recommending others on here, buggered if I can find the post though, so asking again

ta

dannybgoode

In-ear or over ear and budget?

mrjmt
    Free Member

Which shure ones have you got?

are the cables not replaceable?

I went from E10s to Shure se215s. Keep the E10s in my drawer for when I forget my shures or I just want a laugh about how good the shures sound. Don’t go down to E10s if you’ve been using shures, it’ll be like you’ve got cotton wool in your ears!

M6TTF
    Free Member

Shures are E2c I think? A good 6 years old anyway. Cost around 50 quid I think, not looking to spend anymore

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Bought some a-jays 3 in dubai. Like them.

loddrik
    Free Member

Sennheiser MM70i

nach
    Free Member

I favour these, because **** branding aside, they’re well designed:
    https://www.urbanears.com/ue_gb_en/headphones/kransen

The cable loop works well, and being able to clip them together behind your neck is good. As an added incentive to keep them clean, if you don’t they become a lovely earwax display for anyone behind you.

M6TTF
    Free Member

they look smart mach, thanks, i’ll check them out

chomp
    Free Member

those kransen look nice – £7 postage is a bit of a buzzkill.

(amazon have them with prime though)

CountZero

These: http://www.amazon.co.uk/MEElectronics-Universal-Fit-Noise-Isolating-Musicians-Detachable/dp/B00SLVB71Q
    Exactly on your budget, styled/based on Shure/Westone IEM’s, replaceable cables with spare, wide range of ear tips, and the sound quality is very good; I’ve got the M6 Sports ‘phones, which have the same, or very similar innards, and I can’t fault them.
    Everything you could possibly want, worth double just for the fact that you get a spare cable with remote, which would cost you the same as these ‘phones if you bought the similar Shure SE215’s, and the Shure remote cable is rubbish, the outer just splits open all over the place.
    Fortunately I found some UE cables with remote that fitted my Shures, for £20, but I shouldn’t have had to.

unovolo
    Free Member

RHA earphones get decent reviews, got a couple of pairs of there headphones which I’m happy with the sound from them.
    http://www.rha-audio.com/uk/

CaptJon
    Free Member

I have these What HiFi award winners and they are fantastic: Soundmagic E10

z1ppy

RHA +1
    I might have kept there warrant ppl busy for 3 years (I use/kill headphones alot!) but at least they warrantied the earphones, unlike those useless tossers @ Sennheiser

BillOddie

Another very happy Soundmagic E10 user here. Better than £50+ Sennheisers.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

What about these?

http://woodbuds.com/

They’ll even hold a comedy beard in place.

razorrazoo

BillOddie – Member

Another very happy Soundmagic E10 user here. Better than £50+ Sennheisers.

Same here.

Had Shure (this was some years ago, the £80ish ones), Senheiser CX 300, Sony & Skullcandy earbuds and these wipe the floor with them all. Very pleased with them.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

from

Your astrological week ahead, with Psychic Bob

Leo (23 JUL-22 AUG)
    On Saturday you recreate the feeling of buying a pair of Dre Beats headphones by buying a decent £50 pair of headphones and giving the other £100 to an utter ****.

CountZero

While checking out those Mee Pro’s, Amazon showed these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UJTXBUS?refRID=YFV2TEC9E2NAZPN646XH&ref_=pd_rhf_eetyp_p_img_1
    Twin-drivers, replaceable cables, all for thirty quid. Got to be worth a punt at that price, reviews seem to be pretty positive.
    I’ll let the collective know after they arrive and I’ve had a chance to play with them. Replacement cables are £9, the connectors look like the Shure ones, although there’s no remote option as far as I can see, which is a shame.

porlus
    Free Member

Tell you what, I bought some in the ear ones the other day. Was on the lookout for some as the ones that came with my phone are dire, and my lass appears to have lost my Sennheiser cx200 ones. Had a budget of £40 or so. Saw the ones that I was going to get, then started looking at reviews on a headphone audiophile website (think its headfi.org)
    Long list, but one pair stood out from the norm, and get really good reviews all round. Its the Philips SHE 3590. Sweet, so went on google to see how much………………..£5.50 from amazon. Nice one. Ordered a pair and they are actually really good sounding. Think they are worth a punt.

BlobOnAStick

I have Shure 215’s and auditioned the RHA ones. Man they had some heavvvvy bass, even with the filters on that boosted the treble. If you like the ‘neutral’ Shure sound, I’d avoid the RHAs. Unless you’re looking for a different experience.

Edit:just realised you’ve got a £50 budget. Sorry the RHAs I tested were about £125. As you were…..

M6TTF
    Free Member

Count zero – be interested to see what you think of them – real shame there’s no remote

CountZero

Yeah, a remote would be ideal, still, if the sound quality is as good as some of the reviews suggest, and the connector is the one I think it might be, then there are alternative cables that have a remote, although they’re a bit more expensive, around £18-20. They’re UE900 cables, and use the same connectors as those on the Shure SE series, which is what these look like.
    We’ll see, looking forward to giving them a good workout and a comparison with my SE215’s and my UE TripleFi 10 Studios, which will be getting a custom re-shell in the near future. 😀

CountZero

Just been doing a bit of digging around and found these cables to fit Shure SE series ‘phones: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Net-Shield-With-Mic-Remote-Volume-Cable-For-Shure-se215-se315-se425-se535-Se846-/161731599551
    Look pretty good, and around half the price of the shonky Shure remote cables.

CountZero

Had another look at the UE900 cable I’m using with my SE215’s, and the price has gone up, just a bit, now showing at £30, which is up by a third! Used to be £20.
    Still, they’re a substantial improvement over the shoddy originals at £40+…
    http://support.logitech.com/parts
    Look under Cables and Wires>UE900 Communications Cable
    Or there’s a direct link to the US site: http://buy.logitech.com/store/logib2c/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryid.60213000?resid=UQ0xawoHAtQAAD0b77wAAAAF&rests=1360146749396&ClickID=a9tlykrs0orwoypt5v0prkw5o5yoy90ptsaa
    $29.90, but a lot depends on postage and getting shafted for duty/handling, etc. on top

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

RHA here too. I like that you can replace just the (incl inline controls) cable if it fails, as cables nearly always do. These are cord-like cables so (mostly) stand up to my arguably excessive packing/unpacking regimen. Their customer service has been excellent in this respect and honoured the 3 yr warranty. Lovely warm sound with nice detail just how I like it. Before these I had larger more expensive cans (Creative Live) but these are close in performance and much less wieldy. Notice they’re reduced from 50 to 29.95 at that there big river place. Bargainous IMO.

Cougar

Reckon the OP would struggle to get those in his ears, mind.

bruneep
    Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Reckon the OP would struggle to get those in his ears, mind.

😳

I point left when I say right, I read ‘headphones ‘ when it says ‘earphones’! (sees Father’s disapproving headshake appear in thought bubble)

As you were. Ahem.

M6TTF
    Free Member

picked up some Soundmagic E10S – initial thoughts… they’re pretty good. They don’t sound as crisp or clear as my ageing Shure E2c though. seem a little muffled in comparison, and more bass oriented. can’t complain for the price though. be interested to see what those twin driver ones mentioned above sound like..

mafiafish
    Free Member

another very happy Soundmagic E10 user here.

+1

Mine even survived a 50C wash when I left them in my pocket.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Well I’ve given them a day, and I’m underwhelmed. They don’t seem to have the volume of my old ones, so having to crank it up much higher to achieve the same – they’re going back.

Countzero – have you tested out those blue ones you ordered yet?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just wondered what you ended up with.. was after some new earphones for camping and was just gonna go with some Soundmagic E10s

M6TTF
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, they sounded good for the money, but thwack of volume was very disappointing. I was having to crank up the volume to almost max to get the equivalent of just over half on my old earphones. Im going to go for either those Meelectronics ones mentioned above, or the blue ones Countzero found – awaiting his comments on them first….

CountZero

You called?
    They’re pretty good, but they have their flaws. They are a proper dual-driver ‘phone, and a nice low-profile design.
    Sadly the cables don’t share a connector with the likes of Shure, but the connectors are solid and click into place nicely. Sound-wise, they’re pretty good, plenty of bass, which isn’t wooly and ill-defined like some cheap ‘phones, and top-end is detailed and not over-bright. Vocals can sound a bit ‘boxy’, if you know what I mean, but I’ve heard a lot worse; Klipsch being one.
    I guess the lack of a remote is the biggest flaw, they are ideal with an iPod, where you can use the click-wheel without looking at it.
    Personally, I’d go for the Mee M6 Pro ‘phones, they’re single driver, but, going by the M6 Sports, which I’ve used for some time, the sound has as much bass as you could wish for, the mid and top are clean and detailed without being harsh at all, and they come with two leads, both with remotes, and a really good selection of eartips.
    Mee are good for spares, as well.
    Just for the hell of it, I might get a pair as well, I can keep the Sonixx in my bag as a back-up pair along with the iPod.

CaptJon
    Free Member

M6TTF – Member
    Don’t get me wrong, they sounded good for the money, but thwack of volume was very disappointing. I was having to crank up the volume to almost max to get the equivalent of just over half on my old earphones. Im going to go for either those Meelectronics ones mentioned above, or the blue ones Countzero found – awaiting his comments on them first….

Really? Maybe you got a dodgy pair or they changed the design, i barely have to turn the volume down on my iPhone if i’m using my ones after any others.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

my soundmagic e10’s broke after two years and after looking around to see what was new and probably better, i went out and bought another set. dunno if the old pair were hammered or something but the new ones really did sound great.

M6TTF
    Free Member

well I received the M6 Pros that Counter recommended – infinity times better than the E10s, well for me anyway. Much stronger volume, on a par with the Shures they’re replacing. Crystal clear, and huge stage. very happy!

M6TTF
    Free Member

Countzero. Stupid autocorrect

allfankledup

Also a happy customer – had some M6 Pros since CountZero made the recommendation – great for drowning stuff out on the train, without annoying others around me by leaking music (usual annoyances still apply)

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘earphones – recommendaations’ is closed to new replies.