Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Earphone recommendations?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Getting a bit fed up with Apple earphones only lasting a few months – is there anything a bit more durable out there?

Must have microphone

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Errr, how are they breaking? I kept getting buzzing/tinny sounds with ear buds, eventually traced to hairs or metal shavings getting into the pods. What do you keep them in?

Or is the cable breaking?

edward2000
    Free Member

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M00S8ML/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use these, im my opinion an absolute steal. The gold coloured ones are twice the price. A really good sound quality too

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Various problems – the microphone stops working, one speaker stops working, crackling noises, etc.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Usually keep them in a case but not always

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

To answer your question: I would get whichever Sennheiser ‘phones you can afford.

I suspect, however, it’s the treatment that’s causing the problem. Maybe the cable is getting flexed/fatigued? If you ride with them plugged into your phone, and the phone is in your pocket, then you may be constantly flexing the cable. Maybe the other thing to do is to carefully consider the way you carry/use them.

davidr

I really like my RHA ones (https://www.rha-audio.com/uk). Metal bodies, UK company. I have one of the lower end sets (MA600i I think) but they seem pretty solid.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-ear-headphones/mdr-ex650ap

Over a year of daily use as a headset for work, and travelling around the world and still going strong. Excellent sound, too.

somafunk

Another RHA user T20i, 3 yr warranty on all their earbuds and the entire range get very good reviews

jimdubleyou

I’ve gone bluetooth…

http://amzn.eu/dRoNhiW

They isolate pretty well, sound ok (on the tube) and are cheap as chips

DougD

Soundmagic E10C

I’ve got the E10s (without the mic) and have found them to be brilliant over the past couple of years

Murray

I’ve had RHA, very good. Soundmagic E10C are my current ones, superb, on my second set as I lost the first after 18 months. Used extensively but not on bike – I use bluetooth for that,

z1ppy

RHA everytime, warranty service is excellent. After a number of Sennheiser failures & there frankly dire warranty, their a revelation

onandon
    Free Member

Wow, shocked RHA are getting suggested.
    I has three pairs of T20is fail on me. They didn’t sound particularly good but used them in the office.

As much as I hate Sony as a brand, their ear buds are pretty good.

Xylene
    Free Member

ze:ro dac in ear headphones

prawny

I’ve gone bluetooth as well

I had these at christmas and they’re good. Solid build and decent sound, not as good as the cheaper plastic ones.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Got the sennheiser cx 3.00 the now, decent enough for 30 ish quid. As much as I want to pay for a disposable item anyhow.

Guess you get ones with a mic.

I’ve switched from sony and they always break on me, even spending more on the brass ones and such. The sennheisers seem a bit sturdier, but time will tell.

DrJ

Just today had a pair of RHAs fail – probably damaged the cable near the plug. Plug looks chunky but it puts the cable at risk of over-flexing.

Cougar

As much as I want to pay for a disposable item anyhow.

Funny you say “disposable.” I’ll be starting a new thread soon as my in-ears have finally given up the ghost. They were Aiwa Pipe-Phones that I’ve had since college. Another couple of years and I would have had 30 years’ use out of them.

surfer
    Free Member

I have funny shaped ears and most dont stay in plus if I want to wear them for running then they dont stay in more than 2 minutes.
    Mrs Surfer bought me a pair of Bose Sound Sport ones and they are awesome 🙂

Bit pricey but worth it,

allfankledup

+1 for the taotronic bluetooth magnetic jobs.

Whilst the noise cancelling is not 100%, they sound pretty good and isolate most external noise.
    Use them on the turbo whilst zwifting…..good piece of kit

seosamh77
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    As much as I want to pay for a disposable item anyhow.
    Funny you say “disposable.” I’ll be starting a new thread soon as my in-ears have finally given up the ghost. They were Aiwa Pipe-Phones that I’ve had since college. Another couple of years and I would have had 30 years’ use out of them.

funny you say that, I’ve probably have 30 pairs in 30 years! 😆 (possibly even more!) It’s not just the earphones, I’m a big factor in this, whether abusing them or losing them!

I do essentially exist with a set of earphones hanging round my neck though, so they get plenty of use.

davidr

@ DrJ: I did a bit of a Sugru fix on mine as I saw the cable was at risk of going. I’ll admit to not thinking about the warranty if it did fail (probably don’t have the receipt now in any case).

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Aiwa Pipe-Phones that I’ve had since college

Man, that must have been a waxy nightmare.

mashiehood
    Free Member

These amazing best i have had.

Cougar

Man, that must have been a waxy nightmare.

They were the foam padded in-ear type rather than actually sitting in the ear canal. Plus my ears aren’t particularly waxy as I don’t keep sticking things in them.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Shure SE215’s are pretty awesome / good value, with replaceable cables. I just treat the cables as disposable as you can grab them on eBay for just a fee £’s. Great isolation too.

DrJ

funny you say that, I’ve probably have 30 pairs in 30 years!

I have approximately as many pairs of earphones as I’ve taken flights, since I routinely leave them on the hall table and need to buy new ones at the airport to use on the plane.

grantmccall63
    Free Member

Another for RHA I have these, a great buy

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/92329223941337881

seosamh77
    Free Member

mashiehood – Member
    These amazing best i have had.

I like the look of those and I really fancy having bluetooth earphones, only thing that puts me off is having to recharge my earphones, quite often sit in absolute bliss ignoring all around me in work all day then there’s travelling home. 7.5hours just wouldn’t cut it for me! So would probably need buy 2 pairs! Might revisit when you can get a week out a charge!

Mintman
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of these Alphas and really enjoy the sound from the neutral filters:

Rockjaw

somafunk

I has three pairs of T20is fail on me. They didn’t sound particularly good but used them in the office.

With these type of in ears it’s essential to get a good seal in the ear canal, a poor seal with the T20i gives a mediocre performance

Where did your t20i fail?

onandon
    Free Member

Their drivers failed. I have been a long time fan of ultimate ears but they stopped in ear monitors when they were sold. Well the did the UE900s but I didn’t like those either.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

House of Marley. I shit you not.

EDIT – assuming you’re just gonna break them anyway, that is….

onandon
    Free Member

Did you eat some string ?

wordnumb
    Free Member

No idea, I’m waiting for pizza. You’re probably putting the wrong music through them, headphones have feelings too.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Earphone recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.