Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Eagle success stories…
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Having read the thread about Eagle rear mech falling to bits and even taking wheels out, I’m considering eBaying off a complete new drivetrain that I haven’t even fitted yet.

Are there lots of success stories with Eagle with no failures around that might warrant I give it a go anyway?

Be good to know what proportion of people have had issues?

rOcKeTdOg

They are in the championship game

Eagle on our demo bike has been fine, seen lots of borked NX mechs, mostly due to impact damage making the pivots bind

slowbloke
    Free Member

3 lots of Eagle in our house (2 x GX and 1 x XX1) all working fine here! Perhaps We aren’t gnar enough of something.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mate has run his fine, like everything people only shout when it breaks

neilc1881
    Free Member

Mine’s been fine and gets ridden over the Beacons/Black Mountains/Welsh trail centres/BPW on a weekly basis, I did manage to bend a single tooth in the middle of the cassette, presumably from a rock strike, but it bent back and has been fine since.

russyh
    Free Member

One ride on for me, flawless. I await heartache and scorn when it inevitably breaks.

gilchrist222
    Free Member

Red Kites

tomhoward

Been using mine (XX1) since March. No issues, save for a fettle after the first 50 miles, once it had all settled

orangespyderman

Mine has been great. X01 with about 600kms on it now, including a week in the Alps. Bent a mech hanger a couple of months ago, swapped the hanger out, mech back on and it all just worked perfectly. Have tweeked the cable tension adjust but that’s it, it shifts brilliantly all the time. I’d have another with no hesitation whatsoever.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Friend has had nothing but grief with his – whole lot has been replaced twice now, save for the cranks & BB. It still doesn’t run as well as 11spd.

Partner has it on her bike & it’s been fussy from new needing regular tweaking.

So, not great compared to my 11spd XX1 which has just worked.

stumpy120
    Free Member

4000k, no problems

highpeakrider
    Free Member

Not had any issues on my T130

chilled76
    Free Member

How many of you folks are on GX Eagle and how many on X01/XX1?

strike
    Free Member

Full XX1 Eagle here and no issues in 4months of use (including some very wet/gritty rides). As with the XX1 11sp it replaced, it took some tweaking on the first few rides to get the shifting just right.

SirHC

400miles on X01 eagle, including a weeks uplifted riding in Italy. Not touched the mech screws or cable tension since fitment. No issues to date, other than the jockey wheels need regreasing, as the seals are a bit shit and the grease is non existent.

chilled76
    Free Member

I’m getting the feeling the issue lies with the GX mech?

alexpalacefan
    jdavidge
    Free Member

Eagle X01, 6 months and no issues for me! (beyond crashing and shifter coming loose – now tight and changing smooth again!)

vicksplace

Just fitted mine (with misgivings having also read the other thread) so happy to hear some success stories.

Will report back.

aazlad
    Free Member

Six weeks, ten Peak District rides in filthy grot…Eagle GX has been flawless.

vincienup
    Free Member

TBH, install problems wouldn’t shock me at least in some cases, even/especially from shops. SRAM tends to have quite specific installation requirements that catch people out if they’ve fitted enough ‘x’ in their time not to need instructions/know better than instructions.

There are comments elsewhere that make me think there’s possibly an element of chainline and general tolerances too which may accent problems introduced at point 1.

walleater

Not seen more issues than anything else on the gnarfields of Squamish BC including my own GX Beagle set up. We tend to check the pulley wheel bolts on a new bike but I’ve not seen any exploded Eagle rear derailleurs and we get loads through the shop. We also shorten the chain as much as possible by checking for chain growth with the shock unhooked from the frame. Someone on here even told me that my chain was too short when I posted a pic up….. So there’s some set-up issues that can be addressed and I bet many people / shops don’t go the extra mile to do that. It doesn’t surprise me that people are ripping derailleurs apart by pedalling downhill on rough sections in high gears if the chain is a link too long (which it normally is on a new bike). It’s also good practice to keep a good chainline on descents unless you HAVE to pedal. This also keeps the chain tighter and the rear derailleur better protected and the cage at a better angle (not pointing back). This is all stuff I did back in the 90’s so not Eagle specific, just common sense.

swoosh
    Free Member

Used my gx eagle set up for ~180miles and only cleaned the chain in that time, it’s been fine, including a very claggy mudfest ride last week.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Eagle success stories…’ is closed to new replies.