• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by GW.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • E.13 XCX alignment issues
  • warpcow
    Free Member

Hi. I'm in the process of changing to 1×9 just now and bought an XCX as chainguide. I'm running Middleburn RS7 cranks with their CD spider and a 36T ring, but even with an e-type BB the chainline is totally out (it's actually 50mm like normal, it's the guide that seems to require a 47/48mm chainline).

After having a little measure, it seems that the chainring sits about 3mm too far to the outside (it's mounted in the middle position and just touches the guard as it spins with no chain fitted). Because it's to the outside there's no way to use the BB spacers. So (finally) I was wondering if it's fine just to stick some washers between the spider and chainring to push it inboard about 3mm? I have some old longer steel chainring bolts I'd use. I figure this would bump my chainline down from 50mm to 47mm, would this cause any problems with the gears?

I guess the other option is to push the plastic guard of the XCX out 3mm from the plate, but that would involve a fair bit of filing a shaving I think.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Starting to wish I'd paid the extra £5 and bought a Paul's.

sillyoldman

I've got an MRP 1X. It comes with a spacer to space the cage from the mount for that very reason – can't you put a spacer in there?

Otherwise, a shorter BB – you should ideally be on 47.5mm chainline (standard pre HTII set-up). IIRC RS7s require a 107mm BB to achieve that.

warpcow
    Free Member

The e.13 only uses spacers around the bottom bracket, which effectively limits adjustment to almost nothing for me.

I've never quite understood different BB lengths (just use whatever the manufacturer advises). The driveside arm is sitting almost flush up against the frame with a 113mm axle. Would a shorter axle really move this inboard somehow?

Looks like I'll probably just have to modify the guide to adjust like the MRP. The XCX normally runs on a kind of rail on the back edge of the plate and bolts at the front. Taking it off the rail and inserting a washer on the bolt would probably do it, assuming it didn't get too loose.

warpcow
    Free Member

Ok, the XCX is the most ridiculously made chain-guide I've ever come across. There's absolutely no good way to modify it by simply adding washers. The whole thing is dependant on the rail thing, which means it's impossible to move the cage except for chainring size.

After much swearing and several rounded out chainring bolts, washers have now been placed between spider and chainring and I will forever be terrified of shearing them 50k from home. Stupid 1×9 👿

ma-maracas
    Free Member

I am thinking of running a 1×9 with an e.13 xcx, Hope Hollowtech bb and xtr crankset (rentall 34t ring (11/34t cassette)). Can anyone see any issues with that setup? and anyone know where i can get an xcx from? they are out of stock everywhere online?

Thanks,

Mark

warpcow
    Free Member

I got mine at ukbikestore.co.uk Can't help with whether it'll fit ok. I was using a sq-taper BB.

ma-maracas
    Free Member

Thanks – they are out of stock too at the mo – but looks like they are expecting after easter (so this week hopefully).

Thanks,

MArk

GW
    Free Member

just bend the back plate

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘E.13 XCX alignment issues’ is closed to new replies.