Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • e thirteen TRS+ keeps braking rear spokes!
  • bgascoyne
    Free Member

My rear wheel on my Capra, an e thirteen 27.5 trs+ which is only 1.5 years old and hasn’t been ridden outside of what it is designed for keeps snapping spokes. They all break off inside the nipple. Three spokes in as many weeks and its getting tiresome!!Five spokes in total. Has anyone else had issues with these wheels or am I just having bad luck?? I’m thinking of contacting them re a warranty replacement as its just getting ridiculous. I would expect the spokes to at least last several years before they start going.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I could have posted the same OP. Same bike as you, similar age and the E13 back wheel started pinging spokes a while ago. Multiple rides ruined. I gave up a couple of weeks ago and got some different wheels.

chrishc777
    Free Member

3 mates have had them, all had issues with spokes snapping and bearings failing until they finally got some proper wheels

bgascoyne
    Free Member

so I am not alone then. Crazy for a set of wheels that are over £500!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Just be thankful you didn’t get crank bros wheels then.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Let us know how the warranty claim goes OP. Ive never bothered trying as would expect to be told it was too late after 18 months or so of use. Could be wrong and hopefully am.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Your certainly not alone,mine are en route back to Silverfish for a 3rd time .They said they were going to have another go at replacing,rim,spokes and nipples to try to stop spokes from fatiguing and snapping .Fair play to them for trying.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

Update on progress – Customer service in Germany has been pretty good to be fair. They said I can post the wheel back to them and they will do their best to fix it….what exactly that means I’m not sure.Hopefully it means “give you a new one” or at least a full rebuild. Postage looks to only be around £15 so its worth a shot.

However after reading the last post I would rather send them back to Silverfish (ie within the UK).

Will update further with what I end up doing

bgascoyne
    Free Member

up date on this – after sending the wheel back to e13 in Germany in mid dec, I finally got a new rebuilt wheel back a few weeks ago. New rim, spokes, free hub – using my existing hub. Haven’t tried it yet but cross fingers its all good. There was a delay with rim stock, so I was told. Either way, I’m happy for now. Time will tell!

wwaswas

I think if I was the sort of rider who only had one bike I wouldn’t see 4 months as an acceptable warranty turnaround!

Hope your ‘new’ wheel holds up, anyway 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

Normally the most stressed part of a spoke is the elbow and barring mechanical damage that’s where they break. On gg’s wheels there’s a bit of an angle where the spoke exits the nipple – the threaded section of the spoke will be aligned with the nipple so there’ll be stress right at the end of the thread. Which is where they look to be breaking.

I hope your new wheel’s all good but unless your new rim seats the nipples differently or aligns the spokes better I’d be surprised if they lasted any longer without issues.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘e thirteen TRS+ keeps braking rear spokes!’ is closed to new replies.