Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • e-thirteen single ring chainbolts – how on earth do I remove them?
  • dharmstrong
    Free Member

Just trying to swap a chainring over as the current one is worn out. Had used e-thirteen single ring bolts, the front of the bolt has a torx head but the rear is just a round hole with two small recesses either side that aren’t deep enough to get a screwdriver in there. Any ideas??

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

There is a chainring bolt tool available. I will try and find link.

I have one, though it is not always required, however, when it is it is invaluable.

EDIT

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-peg-spanner-tlfc21/rp-prod27808?gs=1&gclid=CjwKEAiA9JW2BRDxtaq2ruDg22oSJACgtTxcPdCMWBZZLq1UZKx-QzvmrVnxqCaK0nz0JeNxOOM2hhoC9Djw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This type of thing. There are many out there.

dharmstrong
    Free Member

Cheers, it might become invaluable!!!

paulhaycraft
    dharmstrong
    Free Member

Thanks for the link, I appear to have one in my tool box. I now know what it is for!!!!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Ha, excellent.

That’s how I discovered their existence, a friend of mine bought an Ice Tools tool kit and had no idea what it was for.

deadkenny
    Free Member

All you need is a 20 pence coin 😉

Or a flat bladed screwdriver that will roughly fit.

It’s only to hold the rear in place while you undo the front with the torx (or for other brands, hex, etc).

dharmstrong
    Free Member

Hmmm, so the bolt sits too deep into the “nut” to let the shimano tool in. Its a round hole trying to fit a flat shaped bit on the tool. The recess in the nut isn’t deep enough for a coin/screwdriver to get enough purchase…….

scc999

Would this work?

Si

dharmstrong
    Free Member

Might do! Will give that a try, cheers

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I’m still watching this thread as I have the same E Thirteen single ring bolts on a bike I am changing the drive train on this weekend.

Do you have a vice to hand? Maybe hold the allen key in the vice, sit the chainset onto the allen key and try and drift the nut round with a screw driver and hammer. The screw driver shouldn’t need to sit fully in the groove (man) but just get enough purchase. New chainring nuts may be required afterwards mind.
    This does sound a bit like desperation, I hope you have some joy before these measures are required.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Seriously… a 20p coin. That’s it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘e-thirteen single ring chainbolts – how on earth do I remove them?’ is closed to new replies.