Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • E-Thirteen chain device fitting advice.
  • mikey74
    Free Member

This probably a stupid question, but should the top guide plate be rubbing on the chain?

It’s an SS+, if that helps.

geetee1972
    Free Member

No not really, but you try getting it set up so that it never ever does!

I guess you mean should it be rubbing against the side of the top guide rather than the top right?

Again, no this isn’t quite how it’s meant to be. You should havea pack of spacers that came with the device and you should be able to use these to shim the back plate either towards or away from the BB. In this case, you need to move the backplate towards the BB shell, so either remove some spacers or switch the thicker spacers for slimmer ones.

Of course if you’ve not got any spacers between the backplate and the BB shell your funked 😀

In this case you need to try and adjust the chainline of the cranks by adding removing any spacers you may have between the cranks and the BB cups.

Race Face cranks used to be good for this. It was about their only redeming feature!

mikey74
    Free Member

No spacers added, plus I have already added a 2.5mm spacer to the BB, as well as the BB adaptor for the chainguide.

I really can’t figure out how it is meant to fit.

Anyone want to buy a SS+ chain device? 😯

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wysiwyg
    Free Member

if youve had to put a BB ISCG adaptor on remember it can go two ways as it has a lip. Make sure the lip sits over the bb shell (so the totally flat part sits outboard).

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I assume you have the instructions? The SS+ doesn’t seem to have a BB adaptor? It just fits to the ISCG tabs?
    Any chance of a quick pic? Or can you swap the BB spacer and the adaptor over to shift across a bit?
    EDIT-hadn’t thought about an ISCG adaptor…

legend
    Free Member

Anyone want to buy a SS+ chain device?

please mtfu. it takes time and patience to get a new guide properly sorted. go play with all the various adjustments you’ve got until it’s sorted. and definitely follow the instructions!

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s not a case of mtfu: I am afraid I have to admit I f**ked up!! It’s the wrong one for my frame.

**Hangs head in shame**

To cut a long story short: I thought there were issues with using the ISCG 05 tabs on my frame (clearance of bolts etc), and therefore went with the one that fits via the BB. However, it appears that those “issues” only relate to the dual-ring chain-guides, and I should have gone with the ISCG-05 one after-all.

I does appear that the BB adaptor won’t work as it pushes the chain-guide out too far; hence why I am getting the clearance issues with the chain. I can’t turn the adaptor around either, as the ISCG tabs prevent this.

Sometimes one just has to MTFU and admit he f**ked up 🙄

5lab

can’t you just run a spacer between the bb adapter and the bb cup?

alternitively, isn’t the bb adapter just a device to give you iscg05 mounts? therefore just mount the dcd on the frame as normal? or did you buy the old iscg type bb mount and dcd?

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s the old ISCG mount that comes with the BB version.

I have put a spacer between the BB cup and the adaptor.

5lab

put another one in then? 🙂

eta – got a link to where you bought it? I’m not convinced they do one in old iscg? if you did manage to find one somewhere (the easy way to tell is the holes in the guide will be too close to the bb compared to your frame), you just need one of these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50535

mikey74
    Free Member

Just ordered one of those backplates.

The problem with putting another spacer on is that is starts to throw the chainline out significantly.

The one I’ve tried to fit is this one:
    daft mistake linky

5lab

hmm I thought it was an ss+ – if its the ss fs that backplate might fit, but I can’t be sure. I’m not too hot on the interoperability of the different bits these days

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve actually ordered a full SS+, plus a SS+ backplate. I’ll send back whichever one works best.

Looking at the E13 site, I get the impression that the SS is not compatible with the SS+, although CR seemed to think they were. The guides seem different on the SS+.

Anyway the SS I’ve got is made to take up to a 38t chainring, whereas I only use a 34 or 36t. The SS+ is made for up to 36t, so will probably be better for my purposes anyway.

Lesson for me to learn? Pay more attention when ordering stuff online late at night :mrgreen:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘E-Thirteen chain device fitting advice.’ is closed to new replies.