• This topic has 170 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 171 total)
  • E-petition for strict liability on drivers
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

don’t see many people moaning about that

Isn’t that exactly what craigxxl did moan about? You might not agree with his stance but it seems pretty clear to me.

zilog6128

I’m not sure I want to be held liable if some pillock cycles

this is exactly why it’s necessary. Cyclists are not regarded as human beings by most motorists, just “pillocks” who are delaying them/getting in their way/etc. IMO no amount of “education” is going to change this, only increased fear of financial/criminal liability.

D0NK

Car changes lane in front of you even though there isn’t space for it do so causing you to collide. Is it your fault?

as it happens my wife got stung in a pretty similar scenario, our insurance company rolled over and paid out, annoying to say the least but as I said exceptions.

So you are stating that car drivers on the flipside of that statement are homicidal maniacs?

of course not, but there are plenty of careless ones. Even those who aren’t “bad drivers” seem to have little idea of what safe passing distance is. Fact is there are **** all repercussions for drivers in an accident involving a cyclist so no great care is given by a significant portion. minor shunt = little to no damage to car but potentially significant damage to cyclist. Kill a cyclist chances are you’ll drive away form court.

See some shoddy behaviour from cyclists weaving in and out from the kerb to pass parked cars then pull straight back in to the gutter, bad practice yeah and it seems to come as a complete surprise to some following drivers (where did you think the cyclist was going to go?) I also see some truly shocking bahviour from car drivers, all anecdotal of course. Care to supply the stats KSI stats for cyclists caused by drivers vs ksi for driver caused by cyclists?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Nice sweeping statement. Funny enough I don’t have the same views as you state when I’m driving and I don’t know any one who drives with those opinions either.
    Being a cyclist and motorbike rider I look out for those people when I’m driving even when I used to drive an HGV. I also look out for people on the path who I think may not have seen me. Until they acknowledge me then I assume they haven’t.

craigxxl
    Free Member

of course not, but there are plenty of careless ones. Even those who aren’t “bad drivers”* seem to have little idea of what safe passing distance is. Fact is there are **** all repercussions for drivers in an accident involving a cyclist so no great car is given by a significant portion. minor shunt = little to no damage to car but potentially significant damage to cyclist. Kill a cyclist chances are you’ll drive away form court.

Agree with you but why make all drivers liable for the minority. It should be up to the facts to prove liability than merely assume it otherwise people go to prison for things they didn’t do. We’re not a backwards country so why act like one.

If a driver gives you plenty of space acknowledge them for doing so. Bet next time they come across another cyclist they’ll do the same again. Blame them for everything and you’ll get the opposite reaction.

D0NK

Isn’t that exactly what craigxxl did moan about? You might not agree with his stance but it seems pretty clear to me.

ok genuine question who wants rear driver presumed liablity in rear end shunts repealed? Despite our experiences I still reckon it’s a reasonable rule. If there’s no cctv or independent witnesses or evidence, all other things being equal which driver would you gamble on being at fault?

otherwise people go to prison for things they didn’t do.

pretty sure as mentioned earlier this is for civil stuff, you’re still presumed innocent for any criminal prosecutions

D0NK

If a driver gives you plenty of space acknowledge them for doing so.

I do BTW, I sometimes find it a bit galling that I’m thanking someone for the common courtesy of not endangering my life but hey ho I’ve got into the habit now.

molgrips
    Free Member

this is exactly why it’s necessary. Cyclists are not regarded as human beings by most motorists, just “pillocks” who are delaying them/getting in their way/etc

Wtf? Are you suggesting that I consider all cyclists to be pillocks? A pillock is a pillock regardless of transport, obviously. Put one on a bike he is just as likley to do pillocky things as he is in a car.

Pillocks on bikes DO exist. Of course they do. If one rides into me as I drive somewhere, I don’t want to be held at fault automatically. How is that fair?

It’s not quite the same as rear ending someone as one of your responsibilities as a driver is to be far enough away from the car in front to cope with anything. As the driver in front you cannot take any responsibility for what happens behind you so it can’t be your fault. As a cyclist, I CAN and MUST take responsibility for riding safely, just as I must as a driver. We are BOTH under obligation.

zilog6128

Pillocks on bikes DO exist. Of course they do. If one rides into me as I drive somewhere, I don’t want to be held at fault automatically. How is that fair?

wah wah. In case you haven’t noticed, life ain’t fair. Personally I couldn’t give a **** about you being slightly inconvenienced if the law also means another cyclist somewhere else avoids being hit and injured/killed.

If a driver gives you plenty of space acknowledge them for doing so. Bet next time they come across another cyclist they’ll do the same again. Blame them for everything and you’ll get the opposite reaction.

yeah, way to go. Reinforce the notion that cyclists are guests on the roads and only allowed there if they bow and scrape.

ratherbeintobago

If one rides into me as I drive somewhere, I don’t want to be held at fault automatically. How is that fair?

Provided you can prove they were riding like a pillock, then they will be liable, eg. someone rides througha red light and gets hit, has no lights on at night etc. etc.

All that is being asked for is a presumption that, where a more vulnerable road user is hit by a less vulnerable one, the liability will lie with the latter, and it will be up to the latter to prove the former was at fault. Why is this such a big problem in the UK, when it seems to work fine in much of the rest of Europe?

molgrips
    Free Member

wah wah. In case you haven’t noticed, life ain’t fair. Personally I couldn’t give a **** about you being slightly inconvenienced if the law also means another cyclist somewhere else avoids being hit and injured/killed.

Hang on – you want me to accept being indicted for something I haven’t done? Cos I’m not. Slightly inconvenienced? I could be bankrupted ffs. And if you think this is going to actually stop people from being knocked off their bikes you are living in dreamland.

it will be up to the latter to prove the former was at fault.

So how am I going to do that?

Reinforce the notion that cyclists are guests on the roads and only allowed there if they bow and scrape.

Well no, it’s courtesy. I thank shop assitants for serving me politely, I thank call centre workers for dealing with me politely. I don’t do this to try and get them to serve me, my money does that. I just do it because I’m nice. Likewise saying hi to walkers I pass.

D0NK

Woah zilog did you just ninja edit out a quote from me then?

yeah, way to go. Reinforce the notion that cyclists are guests on the roads and only allowed there if they bow and scrape

thats one way of looking at it, another would be positive reinforcement, like training a chimp 😉

compositepro
    Free Member

Hang on – you want me to accept being indicted for something I haven’t done? Cos I’m not. Slightly inconvenienced? I could be bankrupted ffs. And if you think this is going to actually stop people from being knocked off their bikes you are living in dreamland.

i can just see it now as the where theres a claim theres blame bottomfeeders are gonna be rich ,rich i tell you

just imagine once its assumed liability theres going to be a whole raft of morons riding into cars for a laugh

Are horseriders insured to ride their horses on roads?

D0NK

And if you think this is going to actually stop people from being knocked off their bikes you are living in dreamland

its not going to bring about road based peace and harmony but it should make atleast a few drivers think twice before doing stupid manoeuvres around vulnerable road users

compositepro
    Free Member

its not going to bring about road based peace and harmony but it should make atleast a few drivers think twice before doing stupid manoeuvres around vulnerable road users

A bit like pulling out of a t junction and taking out a motorcyclist? Is that the kind of stupid to which you refer? It happens

ratherbeintobago

Indicted? This is civil law, not criminal. For criminal cases beyond reasonable doubt would still apply. And I’m not sure how a 3rd party claim against your car insurance would bankrupt you.

just imagine once its assumed liability theres going to be a whole raft of morons riding into cars for a laugh

Evidence?

Are horseriders insured to ride their horses on roads?

As with cyclists, some will be, some won’t be. If they collide with a pedestrian on their horse, they will be liable under the proposed rules.

Again, can someone explain to me why this system works fine in France/Germany/Holland/Denmark/etc, but why it won’t work in the English-speaking EU countries?

sbob
    Free Member

Why is this such a big problem in the UK, when it seems to work fine in much of the rest of Europe?

Because this Country’s roads turn its users into utter bell-ends.
    Donk mentioned earlier that cyclists wouldn’t deliberately put themselves in danger, yet I do see road users doing this all the time; putting themselves in more danger just to prove a point.

Couple that with this little nugget of information from the Torygraph;

Whiplash now accounts for 78pc of all personal injury claims in the UK, compared with just 3pc in France.

and it wouldn’t surprise me if presumed liability led to people deliberately throwing themselves over the bonnets of unsuspecting motorists. 💡

sbob
    Free Member

Indicted? This is civil law, not criminal. For criminal cases beyond reasonable doubt would still apply.

Yes, for civil cases the burden of proof is much less.
    Another reason why this is a bad idea.

D0NK

hmm not sure if serious or trolling. If my front wheel is totalled and the side of molgrips car is dented i’m not sure the insurance co is going to go for it – unless of course he was pulling out of side street. The “raft” of manufactured rear end whiplash accidents were fairly safe for the scrote pulling the scam, low speed shunt fairly easy to act medical condition, easy money. Throwing yourself at cars with no tin box to protect you is a lot more risky, drastically reducing the number of people who are going to consider it.

(I would have thought – yes there’ll still be some I guess but I don’t think strict liability will bring it all about)
    Btw I’m talking about purposely causing a crash, the many many opportunist whiplash claims from unintended accidents are just insurance fraudsters, many otherwise law abiding people seem to consider this fair game, I don’t.

ratherbeintobago

Whiplash now accounts for 78pc of all personal injury claims in the UK, compared with just 3pc in France.

Again, German law has an answer:

In Germany the courts take the opposite approach. Insurers will not accept injury claims if evidence shows the collision between two vehicles occurred at speeds below 10kmh or 6.25mph.

Claimants in Germany also have to get two medical opinions to prove they have suffered whiplash.

There is, however, a big difference in risk of life-limiting injury between exaggerating musculoskeletal sprains sustained in a motor vehicle collision and deliberately getting run over, so I don’t feel whiplash and presumed liability are exactly comparable.

compositepro
    Free Member

Evidence?

theres the odd one or two that do it in cars iirc its what puts our premiums up every year this claim culture!!

in fact the new flash you out of a junction scam has just been cottoned onto by the insurers as opposed to the organised lets get someone to run into the back of me crew , which seems to have fallen out of favour

molgrips
    Free Member

Indicted? This is civil law, not criminal.

Yes, I mean indicted in the non-legal sense but I should have said sued I suppose. And it’s a fair point, I’m insured so I’ll only face a rise in premiums and possibly points, so not bankruptcy but still far from fair.

What’s to stop scrotes riding around quiet places looking for an unsuspecting driver to ride infront of and making a big claim against them? Could be a good living to be made there.

sbob
    Free Member

There is, however, a big difference in risk of life-limiting injury between exaggerating musculoskeletal sprains sustained in a motor vehicle collision and deliberately getting run over, so I don’t feel whiplash and presumed liability are exactly comparable.

Yet people are so stupid that they will deliberately put themselves in danger to make a point.
    Saw a motorist turn right from a minor to major in Cambridge the other day, in front of a cyclist.
    Now the cyclist could have slowed down, or could have overtaken the car as it slowed to turn left, but instead the cyclist went with the car into the junction, positioning himself in the ever decreasing gap between the car and the kerb, just so he could bang on the car and give the driver the finger.

compositepro
    Free Member

Because this Country’s roads turn its users into utter bell-ends.
    Donk mentioned earlier that cyclists wouldn’t deliberately put themselves in danger, yet I do see road users doing this all the time; putting themselves in more danger just to prove a point.

I dont think some cyclists new to it do see themselves in danger

I think and its only my opinion that a lot of the folks on here are seasoned in their use of the roads both as cyclists and drivers, as such they see the danger from both sides , however to some degree cycling profficiency has gone out the window its a case of bob in halford buy a helmet and away you go ,the helmet publicity of it will save your life has just made them **** invincible

you couldnt do that on a motorbike and have absolutely no road awareness whatsoever but buy a bike and anyone driving miss daisy can quietly meander along the road till they get hit by a large hardbody object

Of course this is tragic and TBH motorists should drive with consideration that the folk riding bimbling along on their new transportation method it might make sense to educate both parties not just blame one particular set of road users right off the bat

edit, motorbike comment above of course theres the 16-18 yo subset who thrash the bollocks off their 50cc bikes till they meet some kind of demise or take someone else out

D0NK

Yet people are so stupid that they will deliberately put themselves in danger to make a point.

are you suggesting drivers don’t? After all the someone got passed at me overtaking them threads on here if not from your own experience.

Drivers not agreeing with strict liability is fair enough you’re entitled to your opinion but any cyclist who regularly rides the road who can’t see the point once its explained to them…I just find that a bit strange. But hey I keep forgetting 1 shared pastime doesn’t make us all alike

sbob
    Free Member

are you suggesting drivers don’t?

Absolutely not, hence why I used the term “road users” as opposed to just “cyclists”. 🙂

ratherbeintobago

Drivers not agreeing with strict liability is fair enough you’re entitled to your opinion but any cyclist who regularly rides the road who can’t see the point once its explained to them…I just find that a bit strange. But hey I keep forgetting 1 shared pastime doesn’t make us all alike

Yes, I can’t get my head round this one either. It was also being discussed on the CTC forums (where you;d expect people to be much more pro-presumptive liability) and there was a similar range of opinion.

So far the arguments as to why presumptive liability works in Europe but won’t in the UK seem to boil down to ‘people will take the piss’. So, can anyone provide any evidence of this in eg. the Netherlands, or is it just English speakers who will abuse the system?

D0NK

‘people will take the piss’

criminals and fraudsters will always take the piss, break laws and twist the current system to suit their own ends there’s not much you can do about that except catch and punish them, question is would this change have a positive impact on the majority of your everyday user?

sbob
    Free Member

question is would this change have a positive impact on the majority of your everyday user?

That’s just a nice why of suggesting that it’s ok for innocent motorists to get shafted as long as fewer guilty ones get away with it!

Even the bible is with me on this one. 💡

ratherbeintobago

Even the bible is with me on this one.

The Bible also says ‘an eye for an eye’ which is why it’s no longer the basis of our legal system.

compositepro
    Free Member

The Bible also says ‘an eye for an eye’ which is why it’s no longer the basis of our legal system.

Are you saying our legal system was based on a fictional work? never knew that, wonder what would happen if it had been based on 50 shades of grey?

ScoobysM8
    Free Member

Wow, I’m amazed that on a cycling forum there’s so many against strict liability. For me it’s about changing behaviour to make it safer for all vulnerable road users, cyclists and pedestrians.

If you are in charge of something that can kill or maim others, it’s up to you to make sure you don’t hit anyone with it. If that means driving more slowly, or not hurtling down pavements on your bike, then so be it.

If you accidentally shot someone who walked out in front of you, I think most peoples reaction would be to blame the person with the gun, not the dead man for not wearing a bullet proof jacket. As far as I’m concerned it’s the same with hitting someone with your car or bike.

It will make it safer for us all. That seems like a good thing to me 🙂

poly
    Free Member

Cynic-al – do you have a copy of the proposed legislation? You speak with conviction about it but I thought it was really just an idea at present. I can’t think, off the top of my head, of another situation in Civil law where strict liability applies in Scotland. I may just be being thick but since the burden of proof is only to Balance of Probabilities level, its not that hard to prove anyway. Where strict liability applies in the Criminal courts it is usually because (i) it should be quite easy to show you had complied with the requirement and (ii) it would be very difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt that someone had not. Classic example being Motor Insurance.

D0NK or others claiming strict liability applied in read end shunts – does it? I accept there is certainly a convention amongst insurers. I also think the courts would generally agree but is that based on specific legislation or assessment of the facts of the case? Or does it come from case law rather than legislation.

ratherbeintobago – “is it just english speakers”… actually our legal systems are based on fundamentally different premises; most continental European countries operate on Inquisitorial Systems where the court is expected to establish facts. Our legal system are adversarial and the court is only making a judgement on which argument is stronger not who is right! So there may be a fundamental reason why it is less appropriate in the UK.

zilog / ScoobysM8 – why will motorist take more care? it won’t really hurt them financially their insurers will pay. Since hitting a bike is likely to damage your car anyway its not like they don’t already have an incentive to avoid the crash.

Do we need this? Is there actually a body of evidence that suggests that cases which make it to court for civil claims are predominantly found in the motorists favour? I’d be a little surprised at that as with a Balance of Probability claim it is not too hard to build up a picture where its unlikely that a sensible cyclist would have intentionally have put themselves in harms way. The court only needs to decide then if it is more likely that the cyclist acted irrationally or the driver had (caused) an accident – a good lawyer shouldn’t really struggle to present a case that you are a careful and competent cyclist and the most likely cause is the driver – if that is the case. Witnesses etc whilst useful are not essential.

I thought it was being suggested a while back as a Criminal Law proposal? In many ways I am even less comfortable with that – but the “its only civil law” for compensation claims argument is fundamentally flawed.

sbob
    Free Member

ScoobysM8 – Member

Wow, I’m amazed that on a cycling forum there’s so many against strict liability. For me it’s about changing behaviour to make it safer for all vulnerable road users, cyclists and pedestrians.

I’d like the roads to be safer full stop.
    I believe the best way of doing this is by changing the attitudes of all road users.
    Strict liability may help towards changing the attitudes of some drivers, but it sends the wrong message to cyclists and reinforces the idea that we are not equal on the roads.
    Without equality you’ll never achieve harmony.

compositepro
    Free Member

I believe the best way of doing this is by changing the attitudes of all road users.

Quite

Strict liability may help towards changing the attitudes of some drivers, but it sends the wrong message to cyclists and reinforces the idea that we are not equal on the roads.

Yup gives anyone on a push bike the right to say you hit me now your liable I’m going to sue your arse and have a 50 50 of the judge siding with me…….oh lordy what have i got to lose

ScoobysM8
    Free Member

sbob,I totally agree that strict liability on it’s own isn’t the answer. It’s just one step in the right direction, along with things like Boris bikes, better infrastructure etc. All part of the shift in attitudes that is already happening despite motorists protestations. And yes, we are equal, with every right to be on the road. That’s the point of the legislation as I see it.
    But we are not equal in a collision. We are going to come off worst. So we have to protect the more vulnerable. Pedestrians first, then cyclists, cars last.

ScoobysM8
    Free Member

zilog / ScoobysM8 – why will motorist take more care? it won’t really hurt them financially their insurers will pay. Since hitting a bike is likely to damage your car anyway its not like they don’t already have an incentive to avoid the crash.

Sure, it’s only going to hurt them financially in terms of their no claims bonus. But anything that moves towards making it socially unacceptable to mow down cyclists and pedestrians is a good thing

molgrips
    Free Member

I am very much in favour of changing behaviour, I am just not convinced that this is a good way of doing it, or that it will even work.

If you accidentally shot someone who walked out in front of you, I think most peoples reaction would be to blame the person with the gun, not the dead man for not wearing a bullet proof jacket.

It depends on the circumstances as to whether or not the gun-holder was to blame, but in any case driving a car is a necessary part of modern society (as it stands), carrying a gun is not.

But anything that moves towards making it socially unacceptable to mow down cyclists and pedestrians is a good thing

I honestly do not think it is socially acceptable at the moment.

Wow, I’m amazed that on a cycling forum there’s so many against strict liability.

Just because I am a cyclist does not mean I am blind to consequences of rules and legislation. I’m not a member of a tribe.

compositepro
    Free Member

Sure, it’s only going to hurt them financially in terms of their no claims bonus. But anything that moves towards making it socially unacceptable to mow down cyclists and pedestrians is a good thing

Are you stating here the legislation means that cyclists will be liable for running into pedestrians

I never figured out why cyclists use the term “ped” with destain like they are a lower group even

molgrips
    Free Member

I never figured out why cyclists use the term “ped”

Easier to type and say.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘E-petition for strict liability on drivers’ is closed to new replies.