Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 253 total)
  • E-Livid
  • boltonjon

Just sat down to read Issue 109. A big article on the Peaks (awesome) with a fatbike (love), Nick Craig (Legend) & an E-Bike (ehm…)

I love trying to get up Jacobs Ladder – never got past the first hairpin – but god i try. Legend has it that Mr Craig has cleared it.

Anyone else made it?

It’ll be easy if STW & their sponsors get everyone on their new bikes….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Mpzsdk]livid[/url] by boltonjon, on Flickr

simondbarnes

I pushed almost all of the way when I went up there. Reckon I could have given it a good go on the Specialized Turbo Levo I’ve been riding today though. Properly ace up the hills 🙂

jekkyl

why not? it’s just changing the challenge slightly, doesn’t make your non e bike effort unworthy.

yunki
    Free Member

anyone got a jacob’s ladder ascent vid?

Edric64
    Free Member

e bikes are two wheeled mobility scooters .It is not cycling

km79
    Free Member

Hardly surprising is it, it’s a motorbike by another name, of course it’s going to get up hills easy. It’s like being winched up the side of a rockface and calling it climbing.

davosaurusrex

I’ve never even ridden one but I put all the ebike haters in the same category as roadies who hate discs. Dullards.

Edric64
    Free Member

It`s not cycling though ,it may be good fun or a great help to those with a disability

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

e-livid

Why do you care? Your life must be pretty perfect if you give two hoots over what someone rides when you weren’t even there!

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ll be smashing it on my Bultaco then.

stewartc
    Free Member

e bikes are two wheeled mobility scooters .It is not cycling

e-Bikes will be the death knell for mountain biking as we know it, is that a good think, who knows?
    I can see the point for leisure, commuting and to enable those with disabilities to get out and about but when fully abled riders start to use them to overcome technical and physical challenge’s then we have to ask ourselves what is the point of the challenge, why not just fit jetpacks to Olympic sprinters and allow kids to use Google in exams.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

E-Bikes r teh motabikes!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Daveosaurusrex +1.

tjagain

why will e bikes be the death of mountainbiking? You are not going to be forbidden to ride your mountainbike anywhere you can right now

thepurist

It’s the future, all physical effort will be banned and anyone seen riding a bike without lectric will be put in the stocks and forced to kill kittens.

Or just quit the whining, let people make their own choices and be happy with yours. Someone riding an e bike up a hill doesn’t affect how I feel about my attempts to do the same under my own steam, the same as me driving 26 miles doesn’t devalue anyone who’s run a marathon.

njee20
    Free Member

This is clearly the new wheelsize thread.

I vote an instant ban for anyone boring/stupid enough to post any of the following:

– they’re just motorbikes
    – it’s not cycling
    – they’ll be the death of mountain biking
    – it’ll be an arms race of power
    – they’re only good for those with disabilities

Would clear the chaff from the forum pretty sharpish.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I can see a few problems with e-bikes

– it’s not cycling

Now what’s all this chaff njee20 is talking about 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

**loads gun**

peaslaker
    Free Member

Instant ban, eh!

I propose an instant ban for those stifling debate on a forum in order to establish orthodoxy.

Extra homework for those that do so with a prissy flounce.

jekkyl

it does make you go ‘pffft’ to your mate when ascending upper cliff at Cannock and someone comes flying up past on an ebike.

simondbarnes

They let me go a little bit faster uphill but you still have to put effort in. It’s not like riding a motorbike at all.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MqsPDW]Screenshot_20161019-155039[/url] by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

trail_rat
    Free Member

So long as it stops at 15.5mph I’ve got no issue with em.

Soon as it goes over that under assistance it’s a motorbike imo and in the eyes of the law and should only be ridden under the same conditions

Alot of the it’s a motorbike crowd have obviously never ridden one. For a start many don’t have a throttle (Inc mine) I have to pedal or it says **** you and cuts out . Then there’s the amount of effort – sure I could soft pedal and it would do all the work but then my ride would be short for all the juice from thine battery would go away

I have absolutely no doubts that I can ride anywhere any time quicker than. My eapc but my eapc is for 2 things – those days after big rides where the ride too work will be painful(ie recovery and not using the car) and for going out shopping for a week’s shopping or other big things and not taking the car

Couple of observations are that car already don’t expect you to be doing 15.5mph in certain places ie uphill so ive seen a 200% increase in left hooks – ie it never happened to me before and twice it’s happened on the eapc

Now if you were to be riding a chipped or speed pedelec as they are known….on the public highway and had such an accident . You’d be on a termite ridden wooden leg for a position.

I’m waiting for January 2017 fingers crossed we get the legislation we sorely need to differentiate between electric motorbikes (not bicycle based) s-pedelecs(which still need a 30mph speed limit (due to brake and tire and other limiting factoes) and minimum safety equipment/safety checks and importantly licence and registration imo) and then the eapc can carry on below.

chilled76
    Free Member

Overtook a fat bloke up a hill who was on an e-bike a few months back. Had to resist making snide remarks at him.

amedias
    Free Member

I propose an instant ban for those stifling debate on a forum in order to establish orthodoxy.

Debate is fine, poorly researched, ill thought out knee-jerk reactions on the other hand, not so fine…

But I’m pro using words with an ‘x’ in them, I like words with ‘x’ in them so you can stay.

oldnpastit

My wife has just bought one, her ankle is messed up, and although she gets around with a regular bike, the ebike will let her get about a lot more without using the car.

However, idiots ripping up natural trails on electric mountain bikes is selfish and is going to cause problems.

Mods: feel free to ban me for saying what I think….

Northwind

So, luddites, what’s better- riding up a hill, or not riding up it? Would people have a better day out if they had to push a normal bike up jacob’s ladder instead of riding it on an e-bike? If these bikes are cheating, is my excellent bike also cheating because it’s better than my brother’s Saracen Rufftrak? Probably I’m spoiling it for myself and others.

I was going to do a century road ride the other day but there’s no point because I’ve ridden a hundred miles on the motorbike, and that now ruins cycling for me and everyone else.

zippykona

I smashed the strava running record through the park this morning.
    I’m not really any good at running . So to mix it with the big boys I rode my bike. I still have to put all my energy into it so it’s not like I’m getting a free ride.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

What is actually everyone’s concern here? Ebikes? Or being beaten on Strava?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’d like one for commuting. Plenty of other things in life to make things easier.

I also don’t buy into the e-bikes do more damage.

Also saying it’s cheating?? Cheating what? It just someone out on their bike

zippykona

It’s people passing off ebikes and what they can do as pedal bikes.

davosaurusrex

I’m pretty sure simonbarnes is trolling up there. If someone took a KOM off me using an Ebike I’d probably be miffed. Fortuitously I don’t have any KOMs so I ain’t bovvered.

I also can’t see the point of ebike KOMs as surely depends on how much assist you’re using? But to me an ebike would be a means to an end – more miles, more fun (uphill at least), that’s it. So if I get one I’d use the ebike thing on strava to log miles and to avoid skewing the results for non-assist bikes but awards compared to others would be meaningless.

wiggles
    Free Member

99% of people who say they hate evokes have never tried one and totally change their mind once they have.

When I have ridden one my heart rate has been higher than the same ride on a normal bike, because it makes you go for it up the hills rather than just “get to the top”

Northwind

zippykona – Member

It’s people passing off ebikes and what they can do as pedal bikes.

They are pedal bikes- they have pedals. How are they “passing off”? They’re just out riding, have you run into people claiming they’re not riding an e-bike or something?

smell_it
    Free Member

I’m guessing part of the fuss with e-bikes is they aren’t aimed at all cyclists, and in fairness some of the market seems to be aimed at getting people who wouldn’t get a bike on an e-bike; some people will think it’s cycling and some won’t. But because it’s the internet people feel obliged to take things too seriously, be knobs and troll each other over both sides. E-bikes are a tool to do a job, and they will appeal to some and not to others, and whilst they don’t appeal to me why would I be upset by them or those that use them. If someone wants to claim every KOM on the routes I ride on an e-bike, go for it. It’s an e-bike KOM at the end of the day; it takes nothing away from me or the effort I make in my own riding. I currently have no interest in owning one, my boring interest is pedalling road bikes as fast as my legs will take me. But I am interested that they open up a range of opportunities’ to people to have more fun in their lives, and in that think they are a great thing. What form of transport you use doesn’t make you a dickhead, it’s how you act on and off that form of transport that decides that.

And sadly no, I have never cleaned the ladder ascent, but I really have tried!!

zilog6128

Also saying it’s cheating?? Cheating what? It just someone out on their bike

Only themselves! There are other benefits to being fit & healthy than just being faster on a (normal) push bike.

I know some people say you get just a good a workout from an e-bike as you go much faster/further… I don’t really buy that though for the vast majority of users 🙂 No healthy person is getting an e-bike because they’ve reached the limit of how far & fast they can go on their un-assisted bike!

njee20
    Free Member

They let me go a little bit faster uphill but you still have to put effort in. It’s not like riding a motorbike at all.

Haha, did you realise that’s me in second?

Edit: I see you made it private, attaboy, my KOM remains intact! 😉

Notter
    Free Member

chilled76 – Member

Overtook a fat bloke up a hill who was on an e-bike a few months back. Had to resist making snide remarks at him.
    Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

Is this missing a 😉 ?? Not quite representing your username if not!!

WGAS if the “fat bloke” was using an e-bike, he’s on a bike perhaps trying to become less “fat”, good for him.

thepodge
    Free Member

Everyone is missing the point, why would you ride up Jacobs? Its far better to come down it.

adsh
    Free Member

This is clearly the new wheelsize thread.

I vote an instant ban for anyone boring/stupid enough to post any of the following:

– it’s not cycling

Would clear the chaff from the forum pretty sharpish.

This is depressing because it means that after the pain of all the moronic discussion they’ll become standard.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The ebike haterz are really quite boring. So, to clear it up here’s where we stand.

If you hate legal ebikes you’re wrong. You are allowed an opinion on it, but you’re wrong. Like being religious, denying climate change or supporting Brexit (which I suspect you did). Because we live in a civilised society you are allowed your wrong opinion.

Fortunately, also because we live in a civilised society, people who have an ebike that fits the law can carry on using them, which makes no difference to anyone else whatsoever.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 253 total)

The topic ‘E-Livid’ is closed to new replies.