Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • E-Cigs: Any passive health issues?
  • sweepy
    Free Member

I gave up smoking over 10 years ago, but last year I did have a try on an ecig at the works xmas party, it was alright, i might have another go if I fancy it again.
    I think its shameful that the anti smoking brigade are continuing to bully people, who are meeting them more than halfway by switching to a relatively benign method of taking their nicoteen.

seosamh77
    Free Member

the anti smoking brigade are continuing to bully people

that is all it is.

hora
    Free Member

Sweepy we are only jealous.

dabble most GP’s are just as bad as the rest of us. They are only human.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MSP

I suspect the tobacco industry would be quite active in lobbying against ecigs, they look to be the biggest danger to their empires they have faced.

And it’s not like the tobacco industry would ever stoop to misleading research and pushing false information. Doctors can be just as naive as anybody else when schmoosed at conferences and fed misleading information.

hora
    Free Member

+1 and theres taxation opportunities. So I imagine E-Cigs will be banned then ‘approved’ along with sudden heaps of tax added…

nealglover
    Free Member

The biggest Tobacco company in America also make and sell E-Cigs.

Most of the big tobacco companies have invested or have interests in the E-cig market now.

andysblacksoul
    Free Member

Have been an e-cig user for about 2 years now and not smoked an “analogue” since.

I only buy e-liquid from reputable UK suppliers who show traceability and quality of the ingredients they use (unlike Chinese factories who may well not use food grade ingredients, clean room preparation ect)

The research will take time and will most likely result in weighted opinions rather than plain facts, the reason being is that the anti smoking health groups are largely funded by the Pharmas and they don’t want e-gics ruining their patches, gums, sprays market. The other side of this is the big tobacco companies and their lobbying power at goverment level to continue to allow cigarettes to be sold (and treasuries to reap the tax revenues).

A great, unpatented, open source invention, that gives nicotine users a safe(r) way to enjoy their fix, just like coffee or alcohol, in moderation, doesn’t stand a chance against these industrial giants

seosamh77
    Free Member

I suspect the tobacco industry would be quite active in lobbying against ecigs, they look to be the biggest danger to their empires they have faced.

I suspect it’s more the NRT companies that’ll have a vested interest in lobbying against Ecigs.

bikerbaboon
    Free Member

null

Seeing as the main reason for using an e-cig is for the Nicotine, It can be said that nicotine is a factor on cancer and is a toxic nerve agent with a reasonably low LD50. I would think it would be good enough for any H+S risk assessment that reducing exposure to in the work place would be a reasonably practicable step to take to remove the risk to the Work force.

Woody
    Free Member

Oh well, don’t I feel sheepish, here’s me thinking “why would a doctor lie to me?”

My ex worked for many pharma companies and it was something of an eye-opener on many levels. Let’s just say, pharma co’s can be rather economical with the truth and some doctors have a certain standard of living to maintain!

zippykona

Cigars smell lovely.
    Pipes smell lovely.
    Dope smells lovely.
    I could never figure out why ciggies smell so utterly revolting. If the tobacco manufacturers prettied up the smell I’m sure we would not be so anti.

chestrockwell

I’m a big fan of e-cigs. After 15 years of smoking with a few failed attempts to stop I gave the e-cigs a try at the beginning of the year, used them for 6 weeks or so, then stopped altogether.

As for sending people out with the smokers… That’s petty and likely to make a possible non smoker remain a smoker. The hardest thing for me was habit and that included trigger points. I imagine getting sent to a smoking shed with an e-cig isn’t going to help any one trying to stop.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Not sure about health issues but I think Ecigs are just dummies for adults really.

nealglover
    Free Member

You resurrected an 11 month old thread to answer the question with “I don’t know”

How odd 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

You resurrected an 11 month old thread to answer the question with “I don’t know”

How odd

Thread was resurrected by a spambot, which has since been removed.

Cougar
    parkesie
    Free Member

Theyre banned from buildings at my work MoD only the nicotine inhalers are allowed in doors.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

What is the passive risk associated with water vapour?

barkm
    Free Member

all of this research must be expensive, I wonder who is paying for it? 😉

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I think even the most pro standpoint still needs to acknowledge there are other things than water in there.

Jamie
    Free Member

Drowning?

footflaps

There’s a guy at work who has taken up smoking E-cigs, never having smoked before. He now pops out every couple of hours for a few puffs in the rain outside the office….

kimbers

Reading the IFL science link (the telegraph and science just don’t add up). Sounds like the levels of formaldehyde could well be harmful to the smoker but not too bad passively, though its certainly not just water vapour.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Me and the Mrs were in the local the other night and four selfish twunts spent all night vaping to their hearts content, i don’t know which was worse, listening to two hours of talk about vaping or the crap coming off em.
    We both had sore throats for 3-4 days after.
    Smokers and vapers don’t care about their own health, why would they give a flying f*** about anyone else.

nealglover
    Free Member

We both had sore throats for 3-4 days after.

I doubt very much there was a connection.

Smokers and vapers don’t care about their own health, why would they give a flying f*** about anyone else.

I have up smoking because I care about my health.

I care about other people’s health too.

(Although if you are going to generalise so broadly, and have that attitude towards me, I’m not sure I care about yours too much)

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Yes, 3-4 days, sore throats caused by the vaping, its a FACT.

tpbiker
    Free Member

No its not…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was flying this week and Singapore Airlines now include in the previous flight talk that e-fags are also not allowed. Stood near a couple puffing away on some various flavoured solutions in them, still blowing the remnants of that I to other people’s clean air. So for me it’s not indoors and not around kids.

scotroutes

If you can smell it then it’s not only water vapour.

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s not a fact. Not even close.

There was some people vaping in the pub. That’s a fact.
    You had a sore throat some time after. That’s a fact.

The two facts above are not necessarily related. That’s also a fact.

footflaps

The two facts above are not necessarily related. That’s also a fact.

More a hypothesis since you can’t prove it either way….

Drac

For years we were forced to be poisoned by smokers filthy tobacco filled air at work, in the pubs, shops and restaurants. Finally common sense prevailed and it was banned for the good of all. Best ban this one now before they find too late it’s doing harm to others too. PIss off outside with your vapours we don’t want to inhale them.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Go buy the current New Scientist – great review of scientific literature on e-cigs – make your decision based on what is known. Nicotine itself is interesting as it may not even be addictive and has some health benefits…
    Read it, it’s well researched!

konabunny
    Free Member

Doctors can be just as naive as anybody else when schmoosed at conferences and fed misleading information.

as naive as anybody else who is a medical practitioner.

irc

as naive as anybody else who is a medical practitioner.

Which in some cases is pretty naive.

http://www.facultyofhomeopathy.org/about-us/referring-patients/

It’s well known on here that I use and sell them….

I never claim, nor try to promote the premise that they are safe, as no-one really knows for sure yet. However, as an ex-smoker, I do know that smoking made me feel like crap – as does too much booze, crap food, class A drugs etc. – generally, your body will let you know when things that aren’t good for you. Personally, I don’t feel any adverse effects from using e-cigs. Obviously that doesn’t mean it’s doing me no harm whatsoever – but maybe it’s not really worth getting in a flap about…

I’d be more worried about all the diesel fumes you breathe in to be honest. BAN CARS NOW!!!!

maccruiskeen

Legionella pneumophila

and motorway pile-ups

🙂

twinw4ll
    Free Member

We both left the pub early because it was affecting our throats, so contrary to opinion on here, it gave us both a sore throat for 3-4 days, so for the people who will argue night is day etc, that is a FACT.

Drac

generally, your body will let you know when things that aren’t good for you. Personally, I don’t feel any adverse effects from using e-cigs. Obviously that doesn’t mean it’s doing me no harm whatsoever – but maybe it’s not really worth getting in a flap about…

Sounds familiar.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘E-Cigs: Any passive health issues?’ is closed to new replies.