Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • E Bikes, the Devils machines!!
  • user-removed
    Free Member

“Pedal assist” is the keyword here. My parents (74 and 68) both have e-bikes. You can just rely on the motor to push you along on the flat, but I’d guess most users do as my folks do and set the pedal assist to minimum in order to get a decent range.

They wouldn’t still be cycling if not for these bikes (Skye is a bit hilly) so they’re great in my eyes. They do ruin you for normal bikes though – feels horrible the next time you get on your own bike!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I’ve got to say I really enjoyed the OP’s random capitals, well done, I could feel the butt hurt flowing through you.

Ton, (and the others talking of bad health) that’s really very cool, must have been well shit to have had to contemplate giving up riding due to health issues.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’ve got to say I really enjoyed the OP’s random capitals, well done, I could feel the butt hurt flowing through you.

FACT!!!

roverpig

I had a hell of a job recently trying to catch a little old lady on a sit up and beg bike up one of the hills round here. With my manhood on the line I coughed up a lung and just about caught her at the top, only to notice the motor at the last minute. It was quite funny actually (for her at least) and once I could talk again we had a nice little chat. It allowed her to ride her bike around the country lanes here; enjoy the views and the fresh air. You know, the same reasons many of us ride a bike. Good luck to her I say. Dropped her pretty quick on the descent though 🙂

hjghg5
    Free Member

I once got started by a guy on an electric bike 😮 on a climb 😮 my proudest moment on a bike so far, I think!

badbob
    Free Member

saw a guy on a modded boardman FS, with motor in wheel, least he was getting out on the trails? this was XC, not a centre

i guess he was 65+?

RoterStern
    Free Member

Over here in Germany pedelecs and ebikes are hugely popular with older people. My only problem with them is that these old people who used to bimble about on their city bikes at 5-8kmh are now tearing about at 25kmh but are still in the bimble mindset ie looking everywhere except where they are actually going and invariably helmet-less.

theblackmount
    Free Member

As far as I’m concerned I intend to be riding bikes until I drop dead. If that means hopping on one of these things to get into the hills then hell yes, I’ll take it.

I get far more animated at “standards” (Headtubes, Steerers, BB’s, bloody wheel sizes) which deliver bugger all benefit to the riding public than I’ll ever do over a bike with a wee motor.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

My only problem with them is if they give ramblers and hippies another excuse to hate us (soil erosion etc).

user-removed
    Free Member

Which they don’t, so no need to worry. They’re not capable of wheelspinning, turf-churning acceleration (assuming they’re the legal versions). The ethos is more about taking a little bit of the strain out of regular pedalling. They’re still hard work, especially given the extra weight.

Interesting point about the ‘bimbling’ mindset above – my mum never once fell of her bike until she got the ‘leccy one – she was looking at the scenery and hit a large pothole.

thejesmonddingo

My group moan about Geoff’s e-bike,but it gets him out and about,lets him go into town shopping,and maintain his mobility independently.Having watched him struggle with walking and riding a conventional bike for the last few years,this is definitely a good thing IMHO.
    P.S. If a few chavs want to act like chavs,who cares?

molgrips
    Free Member

But why would an able bodied person use one ?

Why not? Why would anyone ride a motorbike, go kite surfing, land yachting etc? Why would any able bodied person be driven up to the top of a mountain to ride down?

Cos it’s a laugh, that’s why. I ride up and down all sorts of mountains, and I have no intention or desire to buy an e-mtb, but I can see how it’d be fun to power up steep rocky climbs at singletrack speeds.

dab

I’m hitting 40 with a knackered back and I’d
    Def consider an e bike in the future if it keeps me
    riding a few more years

It’s all cycling after all

brakes
    Free Member

there’s a guy who overtakes me on one about once a week on his commute. he tries to act all nonchalant but you can tell he loves going past everyone. I try to act like it doesn’t count because it’s not a fair fight… I HATE HIM ❗

also seen a guy on an electric Brompton which absolultely flies, even up the hills – very impressive to see. shame it’s ridden by an absolute dick who just canes it through all the red lights.

bencooper
    Free Member

also seen a guy on an electric Brompton which absolultely flies, even up the hills

I’m building one of them at the moment – well, as soon as I’ve finished this electric Birdy 😉

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Like others have said, if ebikes get people cycling who wouldn’t otherwise.. what’s wrong with that?

More people on bikes, more ‘normal’ folk is only going to improve the public’s understand of cyclists. Move us more towards the culture on the continent where cycling is considered a method of transport, unlike in this country where it’s something curious-men in lycra do.

nedrapier

Agreed, when the time comes for a bit of assitance, I’d like the option of a bike rather than a mobility scooter.

And the more money going into battery technology/power storage research the better.

oldmeany
    Free Member

i give in, i thought this site was for cyclists. you lots have missed the point, electric bikes need to be licence as it’s a motorised vehicle, the type of bike i’m concerned about is the new full sus electric all mountain bikes not a bike for old folk. Not sure if anyone of you have built some sweet singletrack but if anyone rips up the trails i built in Cranham on an electric mountain bike they’ll be trouble. we’ve spent enough time getting access sorted. This will lead to more conflict but hey ho. some of you seem to think its cool. We’ll see eh.
    quick question, if a guy ripped up your local trail on an mx bike would you mind? this is how it will end up when people up the power.

just an opinion of a cyclists who loves bicycles and yes i do own an IBD. 😉 xxTonxx

oldmeany
    Free Member

I’m not talking commuters, this is what i mean

oldmeany
    Free Member

God help your trails when these are ripping it up. Now do you understand me?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Did you read any of the thread? Specifically about people being no longer able to ride due to ill health. The legislation in place seems to me to limit the amount of power available, seriously if people want to go uber fast they’ll just buy a crosser, it’ll be cheaper anyway.

oldmeany
    Free Member

haha, do you honestly think the mtb world is marketing this type of bike(see picture above) to ride to the shop. I understand about commuter bikes, they are called scooters/mopeds, a bicycle does not have an engine. hello. look at the pic. People will soon make them faster. its not hard to up the power, as for if its legal, what difference does that make, people do what they can get away with.

jam-bo

They look pretty good fun to me…

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

You’ve missed my point, there are people out there who love riding bikes but no longer can because of ill health, the above bike may just allow them to do it again, there is an example of a member doing that on this very thread.

Go price up that bike then price up a motocross bike, if idiots want to ride like idiots they’ll just buy a motocross bike, they’re cheaper.

mintimperial

E-bikes are brilliant because: more people on bikes = fewer people driving like complete **** dickheads, hooray!

I hope I never need to use one, but if I do I’ll be glad I can still get on two wheels and have some fun. They are a bit gopping, though.

samuri
    Free Member

I can see why you’re upset now.

That paint job is Minging!

ton

oldmeany….if we ever meet out on the trail, and if I am on my ebike, I would like to wheelspin on your throat….. 8)

dsb181
    Free Member

The % of people that will actually buy one because they are of ill health and can’t spin anymore is minimal. Somebody suffering from bad knees could get an aftermarket electric motor fitted to almost any bike for far less than the cost of a whole new “E Bike”.
    I know this because a friend of mine used to have a relative who did this, and as mentioned before they can be manipulated to run much much faster then legal/safe. He has maxed out on one at 62mph on the flat.

This whole fad is just the bike companies milking you for cash, next year they will release new more powerful/lighter/cooler/must have “E Bikes” and some of you poor buggers will be mugged into buying it.

As mentioned before, I’m not talking about Doris & Frank popping down to the village shop for a pint of milk and a paper, I’m all for them using a power assisted bike rather than a car but just look at Cube’s new website and the F/S Hybrid bikes.

nedrapier

Oh noes!

People making things that other people want to buy in order to make money! 🙁

Whatever shall we do?

bencooper
    Free Member

This whole fad is just the bike companies milking you for cash, next year they will release new more powerful/lighter/cooler/must have “E Bikes” and some of you poor buggers will be mugged into buying it.

Yup, it’s sneaky underhanded tricks like that that have made bike companies the biggest corporations on the planet 😉

taxi25
    Free Member

E bikes arent bicycles as I recognise them. And apart from their uses as personal transport or as an aid for those less able I don’t see how they fit in with the whole ethos of cycling, but he ho each to their own in the rich west we can buy whatever toys we want, that what makes the world go round I suppose.
    Ton ! Whats with your aggressive bully boy posts. Every time you come into a thread of late its with an insult followed up with a threat. Not everyone agrees with every opinion out there, do you talk to people like that in the real world ?

sharkattack

THIS. IS. AMAZING.

bencooper
    Free Member

E bikes arent bicycles as I recognise them.

Mountain bikes have only been around for 30 years or so – I don’t think you can get too uppity about what constitutes a bicycle 😉

taxi25
    Free Member

I think you can Ben. A bicycle is a self propelled vehicle, e bikes have a motor of sorts.Its that bit in the frame where a water bottle might go 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t see how they fit in with the whole ethos of cycling

What about uplifts?

bencooper
    Free Member

E-bikes are still generally self-propelled – even the MTB ones – the motor just helps a bit. Just like suspension, dropper posts, disc brakes and gears help a bit.

But more importantly – why get your Lycra shorts in a twist over it? Why do you care what bikes other people enjoy riding?

taxi25
    Free Member

I don’t realy care Ben. But this is a cycling forum where people share ” their” opinions on cyling related topics.
    It seems to me its the pro e bike faction thats getting their lycra in a twist.
    Truth of the matter is if I met someone out on the trails on an e bike I’d be as interested in checking it out as I would any other interesting different bike. Doesn’t alter the fact that their use by able bodied people is a direction that I wish the sport wouldn’t go in.

oldmeany
    Free Member

at last some sensible conversation. i think my concern comes from looking at the future and where this is heading. Electric Mountain bikes will get cheaper and cheaper and more and more popular so i guess i’m on a loosing side here. 😐
    I’m surprised that members on singletrack though, i had thought this site to be more loyal to the bike, this same topic came up on pinkbike and almost 100% came up against this type of bike and the damage it will do.
    It would appear the pinkbike readers have a stronger desire to stick with pedal power. I’m surprised i must say.
    I can’t wait to be on here in 4 years time and read all the cyclist complaining about the motorised bike ripping up the trails. it will come.
    Hopefully the laws on electric power bikes will change in the mean time. motor bikes and heading to electric power, mountain bikes are heading to electric power, where’s the dividing line ❓

must go now, need to open my BICYCLE SHOP… lol 😉

ton

taxi25 – apologies if my posts sound like threats….they are not.
    and the reason i talk to oldmeany like such, is because we are friends and have been for a fair few years.

hope that is ok…. 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

I like riding bikes. I like it if more people ride bikes (and not just for business reasons). If some electric assistance helps with that, great.

Motorised bikes have been around for over 100 years. The dirt bike is actually older than the mountain bike. Doesn’t seem to have affected MTBing much, does it?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘E Bikes, the Devils machines!!’ is closed to new replies.