Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • E bikes in Northern Ireland
  • lyrikal
    Free Member

Dangerous things those E bikes, it seems over here you need to have your e bike taxed, insured, a number plate on it and an MOT.

The rider also needs a motorbike licence, or display L plates!

Anyone got numberplate brackets for e bikes?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-northern-ireland-40861110

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And then they build a bloody bonfire around it….

tjagain

It still wouldn’t meet construction and use regs for motorbike

Moe

What’s the current situation with this legislation? are things likely to change anytime soon?

sssimon
    Free Member

It’s a  legislation anomaly and we have no sitting assembly so no resolution on the horizon as senior civil servants aren’t willing to sign off anything as if and when the assembly sits again they’ll get the blame for all the innocents run over and maimed or killed by grannies on e-bikes.

Even off road is contentious as there is no distinction between e-bikes and motorcycles in Forestry bye laws.

Moe

To what degree is the letter of the law being adhered to and implemented?

zippykona

I’m assuming there is no law stopping an able bodied person buying a mobility scooter and driving it on the path. No licence or insurance needed

How about if you bought a “mobility” mountainbike?.

Moe

Funny you should say that, the person in question has limited mobility, is moving to NI and has just had this sprung on him.

somafunk

I consider my e-bike to be a mobility bike as without it i can’t get about due to progressive ms, had an argument/discussion earlier this year with a police officer who said to me i wasn’t allowed to cycle through a pedestrian area but he soon changed his mind when i explained the situation by asking him to hold my bike, I promptly fell over when i tried to walk a few yards so whilst the law is an arse the interpretation of it is open to question in my opinion

dmorts

Completely OT but the older posts in this thread seem to be in a random order….?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Not sure how much the regulation is being adhered to. I was at Castlewellan last Sunday and the place was full of them being hired from the outdoor pursuits guys. Unless the regulation doesn’t apply to forestry land and is only applicable on public roads

gerti
    Free Member

Was at Castlewellan a few weeks back and the place was full of them! I have zero issues with ebikes, except that on this occasion they seemed to be hired mainly by 13 year old boys with no respect for the rest of the trail users. Nearly took my wee girl out as she pedalled up a hill while they flew past shouting “Get her in turbo mode, yeeooooooooo!”

Have to say, I took a little bit of delight when one of them turbo’d their way to a sore crotch on the pump track later on.

Probably just a one off, but if I have the same experience again, I’ll be having a word with the hire place and the park staff.

Euro
    Free Member

Nearly took my wee girl out as she pedalled up a hill while they flew past shouting “Get her in turbo mode, yeeooooooooo!”

At least they tailored their language and didn’t shout “Give her the diddy!” 😀

km79
    Free Member

Completely OT but the older posts in this thread seem to be in a random order….?

Welcome to the new and improved forum. To make up for a reduction in the amount of new threads they jumbled up the old ones so you can read them again like new.

hydromonkey
    Free Member

Re the enforcement of the law, there was a post on one of the psni Facebook pages recently reminding that ebikes are illegal to use on public roads/paths without license, registration, insurance, etc. They also said they had stopped someone who was using one and confiscated the bike.

There was no mention of what the person was doing that caused them to have a word…

Edited to add a link to the fb post

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1628085957246946&substory_index=0&id=368794096509478

somafunk

The PSNI should concentrate on the inbred corruption that is rife within their ranks rather than prosecute/confiscate bikes

fudge9202
    Free Member

Ooooh somafunk that’s a whole different ballgame entirely ( big can of worms opened there)

hydromonkey
    Free Member

somafunk my post was not meant as anything other than information for the person asking the question. It’s the psni and other forces jobs to enforce the law not make it. The blame for this lies solely at those making/changing the laws (or not in this case). The fact you went straight for them is very telling.

Waderider
    Free Member

I’m still glad I left Norn Iron many years ago. It just can’t change, adapt, or grow up very fast.

gerti
    Free Member

Yes somafunk, I too struggle to find decent chances to have a go at the PSNI. A discussion on ebikes on an internet forum seems like too good an opportunity to miss. Bravo.

And they wonder why NI is so backward.

somafunk

I’m not from NI btw, (Galloway resident) in fact I’ve only visited NI (specifically ballymena) the once. My closest friends are from there though and both have extended families still in the area whom they visit a fair number of times a year along with continuing to have business interests in the area. My friends moved away in their late teens (late 80’s) to make their way in London and I’ve heard enough tales/anecdotes from them and informed myself from the reporting of the corruption in the PSNI to make my own opinion

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘E bikes in Northern Ireland’ is closed to new replies.