Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • E-Bikes and that HiBike on the STW News
  • boltonjon

Opinions please?

Firstly, that HiBike is gopping – but then again, i’m no fan of loud European brands

E-Bikes???

I hate electronic gizmos at home, and really hate anything like that on the bike. Yes, i have an app on my phone to record my routes & i use good lights.

But, why on earth would you want to pollute your ‘pure’ biking time with a electrically assisted bike?

Yes, i see the advantages of assistance is you have a disability of some sort

But, how many well off, middle class, overweight and unfit people are going to spend £5K to get ‘into biking’ (whilst never getting fit…)

Could this be the biggest MTB divide since the 29er argument??

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

One place I could see these being interesting is the likes of BPW as hire bikes. Allow people to power up the hills if they didn’t feel like riding. In fact, for trail centres over all? Why not. Beyond that?

Nope. Not keen at all. If you want to ride a motorbike, that’s fine, please do so, but I really don’t want to see these things on proper trails (Beyond playgrounds, as mentioned above)

chakaping
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to operate them as hire bikes, too much to go wrong.

Think this could potentially be the mythical issue that all STW agrees on (OK, apart from the chap who flogs them, who popped up on the news story).

And even for those who don’t think it’s wrong on principle, there’s the unthinkable consequences of E-bike users being on Strava.

boltonjon

I’m no 29er fan, but i’m still polite to 29er riders – a bit of light ribbing, but we are both mountain bikers

E-Bike riders – i have the feeling that i’m gonna be downright rude to then

Grrr, this isn’t good – i’m getting stressed and i haven’t even come across one yet 🙁

Northwind

I met a chap out on one, think it was a Haibike- he was using it because he couldn’t ride normally due to injury. I’m sure he’d appreciate people being a dick to him for that.

warpcow
    Free Member

I had a go on one a while ago. It was fun. The world did not end.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

met a chap out on one, think it was a Haibike- he was using it because he couldn’t ride normally due to injury. I’m sure he’d appreciate people being a dick to him for that.

IIRC, Ton, of this very parish, had an e-bike for a while for the same reasons.

I had a GoCycle on loan for a while. It had been chipped, and was a hoot to dash around town on. At the time, I was in a job where I was between two or three London locations per day, and could easily charge the bike up at each one. As such, it made a lot of sense as a fast mode of transport. Loved it. Wouldn’t buy one, though.

faustus

I would feel a bit aggrieved being overtaken by one, but I thnk the main issue is that it has the potential to create more conflict with other trail users who perceive it as an e-motorbike. I fear that ‘normal’ cyclists would then take the reputational hit as a result, that is something I wouldn’t want. Particularly in areas of hard-won access.

ton

I rode a ebike for 2 years when I 1st got ill with my heart.
    they are fantastic…..and kept me riding when it was my only option.

I had a haibike, it was truly offroad capable. and if I got any worse healthwise, I would not hesitate to get one again.

why knock something that gets folk out in the fresh air?

andyrm
    Free Member

I rode a ebike for 2 years when I 1st got ill with my heart.
    they are fantastic…..and kept me riding when it was my only option.

I had a haibike, it was truly offroad capable. and if I got any worse healthwise, I would not hesitate to get one again.

why knock something that gets folk out in the fresh air?

^^This.

All those sneering at e-bikes allowing people to ride “without getting fit” – who cares?!?!?! It should be about having fun on a bike, not some perceived level of fitness. Extending that argument would see you sneering at anyone other than lycra clad 24 hour XC racers as everyone else isn’t as “fit”. There’s more to mountain biking than just the physical aspect.

If an e-bike allows someone to ride that otherwise couldn’t, then that’s all good in my book.

julians
    Free Member

These e bikes could be seen as the next evolution of gears, brakes, suspension etc. IE not necessarily a skill compensator, but more of a fitness compensator.

IMO they are inevitable, as the cost comes down, they will become more widely used.

I’m not sure whether thats good or bad, but I’m not dead set against them.

chakaping
    Free Member

Regarding poorly people – If they were subject to a licensing system similar to disabled badges for cars then I think exceptions could be considered.

Otherwise I’ll carry on sneering thanks.

ton

chakaping….lets hope you never get ill eh

5thElefant
    Free Member

If they cost a bit more than a bicycle then I’d be interested. But they cost a bit more than a motorbike. So I’m not.

But I don’t see a problem with them.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I feel if you work earn your money. And don’t hurt or bother anyone else you should buy/spend your money on what ever you want!!! Love love to try one and if battery tech evolved to make them light and powerful enough I think they will be popular.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

There’s an old boy lives near me, must be in his mid 70’s now, I saw him the other day off road on his mtb, doesn’t go far though, he also has an electric bike that he uses to pop into town, I’d like to think when I’m his age I could still go riding off road and one of these mtb e-bikes could mean I can keep doing it, go a bit further and still come back with a grin, so it’s a good thing. But, not for me now, I like the challenge of powering myself along, keeps me fit, anything else and I’d feel I’m cheating myself. I’m sure one day I’ll be looking at these with interest.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

ton – Member

+1

In case they cheat and beat your Strava times 🙂

boltonjon

I have no issue with people with health reasons using them

However, i’d happily lay a bet that 85% of people who buy them, and charge past you on a climb in a trail centre, will be wealthy & unfit people too lazy to get fit to take advantage of our beloved sport

And, by the number of £5K+ superbikes you see being ridden badly at any trail centres already – this is a market which is only going to grow & grow

Yep – i’m a luddite and proud of it

Also, i rarely use trail centres, so it shouldn’t cause me too much grief 🙂

Northwind

andyrm – Member

All those sneering at e-bikes allowing people to ride “without getting fit” – who cares?!?!?!

I ride bikes despite the fitness aspects tbh. If e-bikes or even just a little e-assist was lighter, I’d be well up for it. Just like an uplift. As it is the drawbacks are too much.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I agree with BoltonJohn…health reasons are one thing but I’d also wager that most people who buy them will be lazy. My aunt’s parents are a pair of fatties and they’ve bought electric bikes because it’s easier to ride up hills. Whereas if they’d bought a normal bike they may have to put more effort in but they might also get a bit healthier.

If they do become popular, they’ll get used by the ramblers that hate normal bikes let alone ones that can go faster…think of all the flower that the extra power will pull up. They’ll be seen as the end of the countryside as we know it.

The chap selling then who said that it helped his mate get round Glentress isn’t much of an endorsement. My other half isn’t much of a cyclist and she managed fine! But he has got a pretty big interest in convincing people that they’re a good idea!

roverpig

I nearly did myself in last summer chasing a little old lady on a sit up and beg bike up one of the local hills. Oh how we laughed when I finally caught her just before the summit and noticed the battery pack. Well she laughed and I joined in once I’d finished coughing up a lung.

She wasn’t disabled as far as I know, but so what. She was getting out and having fun on a lovely sunny day and if the electric assist allowed her to go where she wanted without worrying about the hills then fair play to her. Anyway, I dropped her on the descent so it all ended well 🙂

faustus

Actually, people will get really fit trying to peddle/push one with a dead battery..

chakaping
    Free Member

Erm… I’ve had six months off the MTB after an injury that I’m unlikely to fully recover from last year, but thanks for your concern.

And note I said…

If they were subject to a licensing system similar to disabled badges for cars then I think exceptions could be considered.

Doesn’t that make more sense than an electric-powered free-for-all on the trails?

Anyone can ride them on the road as far as I’m concerned.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Doesn’t that make more sense than an electric-powered free-for-all on the trails?

You want off-road bicycle use to be licenced and have stickers?

That’ll end well.

Colin-T

There was a guy on one at this year’s Real Ale Wobble.
    He cruised past me on a climb, but then again so did many unassisted riders. He was having fun, I didn’t get angry I didn’t see anyone else get upset about it either.

The thing is he wasn’t the fastest up the hill by a margin nor was he especially fast on the flat bits either.

roverpig

Am I right in assuming that the main concern people have with electric assist mountain bikes is that it will open up mountain biking to a whole new (unfit) sector of society, filling up trails that won’t be able to cope with the extra traffic?

I guess that could be an issue “down South” and might explain why I’m pretty relaxed about it as I rarely meet anybody on my usual trails.

If an electric bike brings more people to the sport I suspect it will have as many upsides as downsides. For a start those folk (even with the assist) will get fitter and may gravitate to (cheaper and lighter) unassisted bikes. Even if they don’t is using a battery to help you get up a hill any more morally questionable than pushing up to ride down?

Personally I think everybody else (walkers, horse riders etc) should have to have a permit (signed by me) to ride my trails. But until that glorious day I’m happy to share them with all-comers.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I cant put my finger on it but theres something that worries me about Ebikes. I #think# the reason is that it takes a push bike closer to being a motorbike. I dont like the idea of this. I cant explain this rationally in words but it does bother me. Aside from medical reasons, I dont see the point. Its almost like inviting cars onto the bridleways. I know that probably makes no sense but it just feels wrong offroad.

ton

I would love to know how many of you have actually ridden a ebike off road.

Hopester
    Free Member

If anyone would actually like to try one of these I’d be happy to arrange it for them. I’m based in Edinburgh and as mentioned I sell them for a living. I promise I wont try and sell you one.

martymac

i have ridden one on road.
    it was brilliant.
    however i wont be allowed off road with it as i am fat and lazy.

billytinkle
    Free Member

I think ebikes are great. Would love to have one for my commute – much better/cheaper to run than a car and wouldn’t be far off a car in total journey time for me.

Off road I can’t see a major issue with it – I doubt many of them will see real trail off road use anyway.

chakaping
    Free Member

Am I right in assuming that the main concern people have with electric assist mountain bikes is that it will open up mountain biking to a whole new (unfit) sector of society, filling up trails that won’t be able to cope with the extra traffic?

I can only speak for myself, but I think it’s mainly about respect for the environment from my POV.

These things are a fair bit heavier than normal bikes yeah? So even if they’re not powerful enough to churn up the trails like motorbikes (or are they?), they’re still likely to cause more erosion.

I severely doubt they’re gonna sell in any significant numbers tbh.

zippykona

My fear is chipped ebikes being ridden by chavs on the trails.
    Luckily quad bikes don’t currently fit but every **** wit on a ban will get one.

gazc
    Free Member

billytinkle – Member
    I think ebikes are great. Would love to have one for my commute – much better/cheaper to run than a car and wouldn’t be far off a car in total journey time for me.

i’m with you on this. my commute is relatively hilly 13miles, factor in a headwind, rain and a hard days graft it would be nice to have an easier ride home every day which would be comparable to driving without the hassle of parking in town. i can see why the strava chasers and elitists would feel begrudged as they may feel its cheating, but if an e bike meant i got home 15-20 minutes earlier each night and was less knackered to spend more time with my family frankly i couldn’t give a sh1t what they think. i may even rob some KOMs too – bonus 8)

tomhoward

A lad I used to work and ride (10 years ago) with had LOTS of things wrong with him, had a disabled badge and everything, but used to come riding with us. Basically he used to (struggle to) walk up the trail with the rest of use sharing the pushing of his bike up the hills (as well as our own). It wasnt a mega heavy bike, a chameleon iirc and while we didnt mind, I can’t help but think an ebike would have been perfect for that situation.

Plus I really want a go on one.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

But, why on earth would you want to pollute your ‘pure’ biking time with a electrically assisted bike?

Given that petrol or lift assisted uplift is now a given on/at many MTB excursions and trail centres both in the UK and abroad, I don’t understand the consternation at electric bikes.

Think of it as a more energy-efficient form of uplift. If you don’t do/want/get uplift, then fair enough. I’m a dyed-in-the-wool old school XC rider who’s always preferred to earn his descents, and now I’m the wrong side of 40, I can see that the day will come when I will very much appreciate a little assistance to keep me carry on riding into my twilight years.

thepodge
    Free Member

My Mrs is considering one, then she can pull the kiddy trailer & keep up with me. she is neither disabled or lazy, she just has different muscles in different areas (she’s an awesome swimmer).

I could of course pull the kiddy trailer but where’s the fun in that… well actually there is loads of fun in that but as a family unit we’d not travel as far.

JohnnyPanic

For what it’s worth I had the opportunity to try one off road a couple of years ago and it was great fun. It didn’t make me want to buy one (yet).

I really don’t see the harm and I don’t really get why some people are opposed to them on the trails.

Are you also the same people who don’t like being overtaken by someone with a more powerful car than yours?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve just read that article and I’m in favour of them. If folks want them I say let them buy them and enjoy them. As for using trails I use, ok I can see a little conflict on tread and tearing the trail up a bit but it’ll be no worse that a good rain pourdown and dog walkers in wellies or Neddies plodding thier merry way.

I’m ok with them.
    😀

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I would love to know how many of you have actually ridden a ebike off road

Incest, Maypole dancing and e-bikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘E-Bikes and that HiBike on the STW News’ is closed to new replies.