Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • E-Bikes and Strava segments
  • RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Is it possible to prove that an e-bike is being used on Strava?

I know the tell tale signs when something like Digital EPO is being used but when there’s no heart monitor and the user varies the motor power from a negligible amount to something more powerful there don’t seem to be any obvious signs other than a smashed KOM.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Err nope. Maybe become friends with said Strava KOMer and look at their photos or comments and flag the bugger if so. You could always post the segment link here as well so 20 people can comment about it.

m0rk
    Free Member

Sustaining 15mph normally shows it 😀 I managed to smash a decent KOM by about 30% before changing the activity type to ebike the other week.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Doubt it, we need more bobbies on the trails to stamp this out.

Cheating in cycling, what next?!

lustyd
    Free Member

I can sustain 15mph without a motor that proves nothing! I can do 23mph on the flat for at least a mile too.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Who really cares? They lose, not you, because if bragging times against strangers is that important… …well have a long look at yourself.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

eddiebaby – Member
    Who really cares? They lose, not you, because if bragging times against strangers is that important… …well have a long look at yourself.

x2
    Now I only use Strava to log my miles, I don’t even check on the Strava website since E-Bikes are more and more popular.
    Cheats will always be cheats, don’t stress about it and if it worries you don’t use Strava (or at least don’t don’t check up on each and every ride).

Just get out on your bike to enjoy the ride.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Just wondering what the future holds for Strava. There are plenty of sites that can log miles so now things could get quite tough for them.

jam-bo

What about virtual rides not flagged as such?

I saw a KoM the other day that was so far ahead of the pack to be in unbelievable.

When I clicked the link to look at the ride it was from a virtual package I can’t remember the name of that simulates real world rides.

taxi25
    Free Member

If in doubt flag it. The flagged rider has the opportunity to confirm if the ride was genuine or not. Most ebike riders will just accept this.
    To the strava knockers, why ???? Loads of people enjoy the fun of kom’s and get real satisfaction from improving their positions on the leader boards. The only people who need to look at themselves are those who have an opinion of how others should enjoy their harmless fun 😀

jekkyl

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The only people who need to look at themselves are those who have an opinion of how others should enjoy their harmless fun

The way alot of people act when it comes to Strava, it looks like anything but fun.

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

I derive a large amount of inspiration from riders who get out there and post difficult rides up on Strava. For that it’s useful. It encourages me to get out and ride.

damascus
    Free Member

I cycled up the hill at widdop reservoir in Hebden bridge yesterday on the Mary townley loop. As I was turning the corner I noticed a rider just joining the track at the bottom. By the time I’d made it to the next turn he’d caught me up and happily rode past waving one handed. I climbed the 0.8 mile climb in under 11 minutes. I’d guess he did it in half that. I looked on strava later on but there was nothing on it.

Got to admit it looked like more fun!

taxi25
    Free Member

The way alot of people act when it comes to Strava, it looks like anything but fun.

loads of people do stuff I don’t get. Watching football for instance ❓ but whatever they enjoy it so all power to them.

damascus
    Free Member

I use strava to record my stats, work on pbs and compete with people I follow. I really don’t care if someone I will never met is quicker than me.

funkmasterp

+1 Damascus. I use it to laugh at myself getting progressively worse with time. If it bothers you OP just report him or do the same segment on a motorbike!

onandon
    Free Member

lustyd – Member
    I can sustain 15mph without a motor that proves nothing! I can do 23mph on the flat for at least a mile too.

mcnultycop

I’m with Damascus really.

daern
    Free Member

Rode round the Kitchener Trail at Sherwood Pines on Saturday and, thanks to some judicious childcare I had one go for a quick run without the family.

Rode round flat out until I thought I would pass out or be sick (or both!) and still only managed to be 3rd fastest on the day!

Yeah, who cares about steenking Strava anyway. I’m not competitive and I don’t give a hoot what anyone else does.

(Mutter, mutter, mumble, all on bloody eBikes, could be faster than the lot of them, grumble, grumble)

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

If you ride somewhere regularly you get to know who the fast people are and when you see the local xc racers getting their times smashed by minutes on a climb it’s pretty obvious somebody’s using an e bike!

Me and a mate where having a chat halfway up a climb on the Quantocks a few weeks back when somebody came whizzing past on an e bike. I had a look on the flyby thing afterwards and he had got a kom on virtually every climb on his ride 😆

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Comparing your segment times to others has to be taken as very light hearted competition. So many factors such as…

Type of bike
    Were they going for it in segment?
    Were they riding alone, or getting group aero benefits?
    Wind direction
    Traffic lights
    Etc.

A devious e-biker could blend in, if they blended the motor assistance.

daern
    Free Member

Comparing your segment times to others has to be taken as very light hearted competition.

I completely agree. Being honest, I find the global leader boards a bit off-putting as, frankly, I don’t need to be told in black and white that I’m not very quick.

For me, the only value I get is logging rides, sharing experiences with others and segment ranks against my friends. If I could turn off the global rankings, I probably would as they are a net negative to my experience.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I only compete against my own times and my mates for a laugh. Doesn’t really matter or bother me.

There’s a segment near me that runs parallel to the west coast mainline, I’m 2nd averaging about 25mph and the KOM is at 99mph, clearly been left on on the train.

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve had a few removed just by flagging. It is all a bit of fun but if someone cheats then they spoil it for everyone.

convert

Is it cheating if you don’t know you’re playing? I use Strava or rather zwift and Garmin connect automatically upload to it. I’m presumably leaving a trail of strava segment times behind me. Never checked once my segment times on any sort of leaderboard – never really thought about it. Strava is the only place that has all my data and the only thing I look at it for is some of the power summaries and number of miles/hours ridden this week. I’m an unfit lump on a human powered vehicle so will be causing no KOM controversy- but if I was would that be bad? Could be a bunch of ebike riders too lazy to bother changing the status of automatically uploaded rides and unaware of the stress to competitive types they are causing.

dyls

I like strava to keep a record of my rides and to see if I’m getting faster. I like to compare my rides with those done last year.

Not into the the thumbsup and kom on it though. So many things can influence the kom, such as group riding on the road, ebikes, tailwind etc as well as fitness, weight…….

superfli
    Free Member

You have to link strava to Garmin acc, so you would know if you were uploading bogus times.
    Uphill KOMs (off-road) will all soon be held by ebikes. Shame really.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Just change the leaderboard setting to just those you follow, or those in a group you belong.

Then you just have the problem of filtering out the roadies when it comes to comparing those you follow in challenges 😉 (or off road segments that parallel road segments). Come on Strava, we’ve asked a million times – MTB category please! I mean, there is actually an e-bike category, but not MTB or road.

flaps
    Free Member

GPS device used can vary the results on Strava too!

I like Strava, but again only use it for logging ride distances and trying to do more miles than my mates.

I’ve currently got two months free Premium and haven’t noticed any real differences other than live segments on my Bolt. Think I’ll not be renewing!

sirromj

I quite like comparing my times with those of complete strangers, so yes, ebikes a bit of a nuisance in that regard, but doesn’t ruin my day 🙂

sirromj

Come on Strava, we’ve asked a million times – MTB category please! I mean, there is actually an e-bike category, but not MTB or road.

What about all the bikes inbetween: Gravel, Rigid, HT, FS, DH, etc?

aracer
    Free Member

unicycles – keep meaning to set up a separate account for myself to split off unicycle rides as I like to compare my best times on that, but also ride the same segments on bikes. Not convinced about the splitting of MTB and roadie segments though – it all seems too awkward, and I like to have all my bike rides and times in the same place.

As for the e-bike thing, if you’re sufficiently interested* then it’s not that hard to tell by checking the data. Not only the 15mph up all hills thing, though that’s the main one, but also other clues.

* yes I sometimes am – I do enjoy Strava as a way to compete with other people, and don’t really see what’s wrong with that. Quite often flag rides – particularly when I have a KOM stolen, I suspect you’ll find most people with KOMs will flag dodgy rides.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Maybe Strava will make it mandatory to use a heart rate monitor to get your times on the comparison leaderboard, after wiping all segments. 😉

Drac

It’s Strave not a Pro race who gives a shit?

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Ok, so there’s a group of four or five riders taking quite a few KOMs by pretty large margins both on road and off road. One of the riders has taken a road KOM inwhich 4777 cyclists are on the board and is leading by 8 seconds over a very experienced rider. The subsequent places are around 1 second between each other. Off road KOMs have been taken by over a minute in some cases. It’s easy to see these are deliberate KOM attempts by looking at flybys (not riding as a group through segments and stopping at the end) and the nature of their route. Backtracking, etc.

Without photos, comments and obvious signs within the analysis (supposedly) you can’t tell. Max speeds are recorded at over 25mph in some cases but who’s to tell these aren’t derestricted E-bikes?

I’m not going to flag their rides. There’s no obvious evidence.

I do wonder how Strava can overcome this issue as the leaderboards are a popular feature and differentiates them from the rest of the ride loggers on the market. Maybe Strava will only allow use of the leaderboards to those that have heart monitors? Could exclude a lot of riders though.

Another point, one thing Strava is doing is potentially catching illegal use of derestricted E-bikes on bridleways and maybe the only people that can police this are those whose KOMs are taken.

daern
    Free Member

It’s Strave not a Pro race who gives a shit?

Sure, but one of the big USPs about Strava is the ability to compare with other riders. Introduce cheats into this and you’ve got the same problem as online gaming, where a few guys with unlimited health or unlimited ammo can ruin the experience for everyone. This is something the online gaming companies have been battling for years.

No, in the bigger scheme of things, it doesn’t matter, but if you remove the segment comparison then Strava is just a glorified ride logger and suddenly their USP is gone. If I were Strava, I’d certainly be concerned and would be wanting to do something about it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why just e bikes ? On the road I bet many KOM’s are set whilst chainganging which will give 10mph +

Either give up biking and take up running (and still realise you are slow compared to good people)

Or just use Strava for what it is, a way to see if you are getting quicker

gwaelod
    Free Member

If you do ride an Ebikes you can log your ride on Strava as such…it’s last option under cross-country skiing and monkey powered hover shuttles etc.

aracer
    Free Member

Which is completely different, as it’s still completely human powered (motor pacing would be similarly dodgy to e-bikes, but that’s not what we’re talking about). I had one of my KOMs taken by what was obviously a group ride, but not at all bothered, because that’s one of the features of cycling. Then again some of the segments round here were taken by pro riders on the ToB – how unfair!

Comparing times with other people on the leaderboard is exactly what Strava is – that’s the USP. I’m not quite sure what people think they’re adding to the discussion by telling other people they shouldn’t care about the leaderboards.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘E-Bikes and Strava segments’ is closed to new replies.