• This topic has 54 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • e bikes and commuting
  • eddyp
    Free Member

My dad has recently been trying to get back into cycling after badly dislocating his knee in the past and he has mentioned getting an electric mountain bike. While I am not overly keen on them myself as I am something of a cycling-snob but I can see where he is coming from in wanting to get back out there. We went to a local showroom but we are still very much in the research stage. If anyone could offer some advice on any on these and which would be best http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/mountain-bikes.html or if anyone has any other suggestions?

Thanks

trail_rat
    Free Member

so ive come back to this after looking at cargo bike options – there was a whole other thread on that last week.

So do we have a forum “best kit” ? what are you using sweedishmatt

decided my best option is an old HT frame from the shed of doom and many of the bits off the floor of said shed + my trailer + panniers + electric assist kit.

Looking at the dillinger kit mostly although currently out of stock the bafang 500w mid drive motor + a 13 ah samsung battery – im not keen on the idea of using a cheapo no namer battery for explosive reasons

anything else i should be looking at ? – 16 mile round trip to the weekly shop/24miles round trip to the beach which would be the furthest id be taking it – and i want assist rather than twisty throttle – I’m not being lazy , i want to be able to carry a decent load without doing <5mph on the hills.

Ideally something i can swap onto a cargo frame at a later date.

trail_rat
    Free Member

woosh looking good also.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit

panasonic cells – and a really good informative website no less….

Not sure im keen on the single 46 tooth front chainring mind….. .

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

basically a petrol powered mobility scooter

😆

Try the Pedelecs forum? They have a classifieds…

I tried a Kalkhoff once, very well-made and about 55-80 miles range depending.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

But once you chip an e-bike it isn’t a bike anymore, so you’re going to need tax and insurance unless you want to run the risk of being taken to the cleaners by an insurance company for the full costs of any accident, and then dealing with the police for riding an illegal vehicle.

Plus you also won’t legally be able to ride it on bridleways, etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“But once you chip an e-bike it isn’t a bike anymore, so you’re going to need tax and insurance unless you want to run the risk of being taken to the cleaners by an insurance company for the full costs of any accident, and then dealing with the police for riding an illegal vehicle.

Plus you also won’t legally be able to ride it on bridleways, etc.”

eh ? wasnt all that covered on page 1 ? I never mentioned chipping i said i want to carry a decent load up hills at more than 5mph…..hence the 500watt motor. its limited by the controller current anyway

Oh and whats a bridleway 😉 they sound silly.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Have put a lot of thought into this over the last few weeks!

Test rode a Trek FS with a Bosch motor and it all snowballed from there. My shopping list was for a bike that could help me in and out of work daily and make it around a black route at the weekend if I wanted to.

Was out most of last year with a broken wrist and training this year has been very off and on – good spell of on and dropped off again. Commute is 8 miles with a few bits on busy roads, way in is downhill most of the way with a tail wind. Way home, well…. A couple of the tougher bits on the way home leave me crawling alongside quick moving traffic, not something I’m even entertaining while not fit.

So I started shopping for the cheaper end of e-bikes. The Crossfire looked great (was speaking to a guy who did a 20 mile each way commute, sounded very like the same story from earlier in the thread if you work in Perth!) but none currently available. The rest of the cheaper end (and probably the Crossfire) would have been trashed after a spin round a black route.

So then on to a HT, demo’d one at Glentress, first drop on the red I knew my wrist and a heavy HT were not compatible. Ended up focusing on the climbs so that was out too. Plus side was I came back in wasted, basically kept going until the battery was done.

And then last week I decided if I’m doing it then it’s getting done properly! Bought a 140mm FS Cube Stereo with the 500w Bosch motor. I love it. My mate who didn’t have last year off has been very patient hanging around for me but setting it on Eco I can now sit with him for a full ride, can’t remember the last time I saw the minch at Inners! Climbing in turbo when we got split up at the weekend (wrist issues again on a rough trail) was hilarious, the guys I passed probably didn’t think so!!

Not used it for commuting yet, need to get wheels to swap out as I don’t fancy chewing through Hans Dampfs on the road to work, and I’ve been travelling with work but really looking forward to giving it a bash.

Really think they’re going to be massive, the way they open up the fun parts of mountain biking is pretty amazing. My old man does a lot at the local church, there’s a fair hill on the way home so he always drives down. Could really see him using one to buzz about the village too.

philjunior
    Free Member

eh ? wasnt all that covered on page 1 ? I never mentioned chipping i said i want to carry a decent load up hills at more than 5mph…..hence the 500watt motor. its limited by the controller current anyway

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules
    If you’re running 500W you’ll need a numberplate, insurance, approved helmet etc. 250W maximum.

edit- or is it a 500w motor with current limiting it to 250W hence chipping is possible?

trail_rat
    Free Member

interesting that almost every electric assist cargo bike out there uk and otherwise uses a 500watt OR more motor.

doesnt make it right i guess but if you have ridden a 250watt youll understand why a 500w is neeeded for a cargo bike.

anyhoo it also sounds like another set of rules written by someone who didnt get guidance from someone who knows how these work before writing arbritatry rules – its the controller that sorts out the speed – even a 250watt motor can draw 500watt instantaneous peak load if the controller lets it.

the 15mph speedlimit should have been enough.

I guess if people insist on chipping and abusing them then we can expect more rules to make it more difficult to use green traffic reducing transport.

philjunior
    Free Member

the 15mph speedlimit should have been enough.

Agreed, it’s difficult to see how something could really be particularly dangerous (with reasonably sensible operation) with that applied. I suppose there are probably erosion arguments but a cargo bike isn’t likely to be doing much offroading in sensitive areas fully laiden!

DezB
    Free Member

So, with the Gtech – which I think the OP mentioned, it does 30 miles, then you can take the battery off and charge it up (at your desk, if you have one).

15mph is the limit when you’re not pedalling, so it’ll go faster, although a 15mph average over 25mph is probably better than most car journeys.

It’s also an aluminium bike with rigid forks, so isn’t going to be that heavy even if you do run out of charge.

They are well advertised and pretty popular, so if you don’t like it, sell it!

That’s what I’d do.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

15mph is the limit when you’re not pedalling, so it’ll go faster

you don’t get any assist when your not pedalling.

The motor can only assist up to 15mph so you can still go faster as long as you are propelling it.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The e-bikfied Wazoo with a 1000W motor looks awesome, that can be made road legal looks nice. The price and guarantee do not! 😯

wilburt
    Free Member

where I see a real benefit is getting folk in normal shopping/office clothes doing the journey without a car over terrain or distances they would otherwise not consider.

This, in principle..however people in cars, vans etc will still be trying to kill you, so average Joe and Joanne still wont do it.

I’m sold on them though, if humans made logical decisions every house would have one.

DezB
    Free Member

so you can still go faster as long as you are propelling it.
    Yep.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘e bikes and commuting’ is closed to new replies.