Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • e-Bikers
  • thebatesbristol
    Free Member

My assumption is that a load of new people are just about to hit the sport who would otherwise do something else (golf or something).

I don’t mind letting someone pass me if they are fitter or more skilled than I am but e-Bikers? Do they expect people to get out of the way of them? What’s going to be the etiquette here?

My own feelings are that they wait in line?

simondbarnes

Yawn

iainc

Electric air horns

jam-bo

Where’s the line?

nealglover
    Free Member

My assumption is that a load of new people are just about to hit the sport who would otherwise do something else

A lot of waffle and bollox often follows an incorrect assumption.
    I see this is no different.

rOcKeTdOg

Depends, i wouldn’t let a 400w past me but probably would if it was 500w

jekkyl

I foresee a lot more neds/dossers/scallys on the trails in trail centres with no idea how to conduct themselves.

@op of course you should get out of their way, don’t be a dick!
    how well you tell what they’re riding when you’re riding in front, moving at speed?

rickmeister

Fragile ego alert…

thebatesbristol
    Free Member

Jekkyl,

It is true that the traffic is mostly likely to be at the TCs so in theory they will continue to do their fly paper work.

But why should you let someone through? You’ve earned the descent.

thebatesbristol
    Free Member

No fragile ego, just a question of values. Just wondering what the ettiquette is likely to be for a new ‘innovation’ and slightly bored of going over my citations of my Masters work.

So thought I would hang out with you lot for a while and muse over something. Think of it as a pub question…

that’s why your here no?

somafunk

You tried so hard so hard to get attention on the other thread but went relatively unnoticed so fair go for trying again, and for dropping in the select quote “slightly bored of going over my citations of my Masters work.”

scc999

Mods – please can we have another forum for pointless moans about ebikes?

Pretty please?

thebatesbristol
    Free Member

I don’t spend so much time on here. To be honest, I was speaking to a mate earlier and we simply wondered what the ettiquette was.

remember you don’t have to engage…

I’m nearly done with my citations: ‘It’s not just because it’s flat: a social practice evaluation of Dutch and British behavioural change approaches to cycling’

And am sure that I’ll find some more interesting stuff to do, like my children waking up or something.

simondbarnes

If someone is faster than you they will get past you. It doesn’t matter what bicycle they are riding.

CHB

Faster moving rider on any bike? Move aside slow coach.

fergal
    Free Member

Faster moving rider on ebike making motor bike noises..brap..brap.. move out of the way luddite!

montgomery
    Free Member

Do road cycling forums have lots of debates about e-bikes and, en masse, condemn people who are sceptical about them as ‘haters’?

ajantom

Do road cycling forums have lots of debates about e-bikes and, en masse, condemn people who are sceptical about them as ‘haters’?

Unlikely, as I suspect most roadies wouldn’t want to ruin the lines of their carbon wonder-bike with a lumpy battery.

I’m firmly in the sceptical camp, and have been on record with my opinions more than once 😉 on the other hand if they stick to doing loops of TCs, then leave em to it.
    The same can be said for a lot of ATGNI riders though. If you’re happy to ride your £4000+ carbon Santa Cruz round the blue and red at a TC, but probably never venture in to the actual ‘wild’, then feel free. Just missing the point a bit is all.

montgomery
    Free Member

Workmate of mine (very fit lad) caught an ebiker up at Cwmcarn on Sunday – wasn’t hard, the fat Welsh lad riding it had come off on an innocuous root and was too busy shouting and kicking his bike to notice he was holding up people behind him.

thebatesbristol
    Free Member

Don’t know if I’m a hater but a bit sceptical. My heart is in the pure side of riding, I feel similar about TCs (but for Christ sake don’t intend to start that one now!).

TBH I only saw an MTB version of one a couple of weeks ago at Temple Meads, guy was going to BPW. I don’t read the mags and have young children so tend to ride Mendips and Quantocks very early in the mornings.

I’m really wondering how they fit into the ecology of the sport. I certainly don’t fancy having a good ride interupted by huge numbers of people having them but like the above poster, probably see most people using them at TCs which we except is a representation of the human zoo.

Thing for me and forums such as this is I’m normally behind the curve. whenever I endeavour to start a conversation, it normally seems per se by the time it’s hit my radar

fergal
    Free Member

Don’t feel bad the haters of self propelled bicycles on here are numerous, much like ignorant brexiteers.

ajantom

I’ve seen plenty at TCs, but have only seen one in the actual ‘wild’ as it were.
    I passed a guy on one on Woodbury Common a while ago, and we had a chat before we went in different directions. He’d bought his as he had been a keen roadie, but had had a heart attack a couple of years ago, and was trying to stay cycling, but couldn’t over exert himself too much.
    I’m totally down with that kind of use. Fat biffas who can’t be arsed to put in the effort to get fit less so!

ajantom

Don’t feel bad the haters of self propelled bicycles on here are numerous, much like ignorant brexiteers

But, but….I’m a remoaner, and also an ebike hater. I feel so conflicted!

nealglover
    Free Member

…..probably see most people using them at TCs which we except is a representation of the human zoo.

Thing for me and forums such as this is I’m normally behind the curve. whenever I endeavour to start a conversation, it normally seems per se by the time it’s hit my radar

Masters degree, really 😉

strawman
    Free Member

Fat biffas who can’t be arsed to put in the effort to get fit less so! 😆
    That got me that did.

montgomery
    Free Member

But is he a hater – or somebody who loves cycling enough to want to practise and improve in his own right, rather than engaging an engine to do it? Just asking, like.

thebatesbristol
    Free Member

Dyslexia…we’re more fun

Girls aren’t attracted to pedants

nealglover
    Free Member

Or trolls.

Dyslexia

Everyone who uses the wrong words for things (but spells them all perfectly) says dyslexia.

Not a hater, just something I’ve noticed.

thebatesbristol
    Free Member

No, they love trolls. Talk shit to the computer, not them…

cookeaa

Dyslexia…we’re more fun

Girls aren’t attracted to pedants

Did you mean pedants? Or pendants?
    Your spell checked dyslexia is confusing… Some girls do like a nice pendant.

As for the topic?
    E-bikes… Meh, this subject has definitely Been done to death now, one might even call it passé

jameso

The ettiquette I think is ‘don’t be a dick’ so I’d move over for the biker behind if they’re catching me up.
    I’d probably only spot whether they’re on an ebike or SS or a tourer as they pass so the only difference might be whether they get a cheering-on as they go.

nealglover
    Free Member

As for the topic?
    E-bikes… Meh, this subject has definitely Been done to death now, one might even call it passé…

I don’t think the ebikes topic is passé per se, there’s still some mileage in it. We just need to all except each other’s choice, accept trolls of course, not them.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Deleted

martymac

Proper lol @ nealglover

hols2
    Free Member

tjagain

an e bike that is leagal is only quicker on climbs – on DH its slower as the electric boost stops at 15 mph and while the extra weight makes it roll quicker downhill the extra weight also spoils the handling

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

while the extra weight makes it roll quicker downhill the extra weight also spoils the handling

Would depend entirely on the type of descent IMO TJ.

hols2
    Free Member

the extra weight makes it roll quicker downhill

It might roll over obstacles better because it has more momentum, but it won’t actually accelerate downhill any faster.

v666ern
    Free Member

epicsteve
    Free Member

No, because eBikes are far too slow on the road to be an issue – I’ve never even seen one when I’ve been on a club ride.

I’ve heard a few in my club call them cheating, but have seen the point when I’ve explained that they’re a great way for people to get riding when otherwise they wouldn’t be able to due to health or age issues.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘e-Bikers’ is closed to new replies.