Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • E-bike specific pedals… really?
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Discuss.
    Brakes I can understand but pedals??…
    I’m not falling for that one. I mean, I’ve already got my E-bike specific water-bottle and tyre-levers..but pedals. Someone reckons we must be stupid.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did you bother to read the post about legal and spec reasons or just get angry?

tymbian
    Free Member

I’m not angry. And U didn’t read the sales pitch.

ampthill

This needs a link

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/2017/09/ebike-specific-pedals-from-reverse-components/

Why is this a thing? Well. In Germany and France, there’s now a certification standard for ebike components, and that’s why Reverse Components are making ebike specific finishing kit like pedals and handlebars. It might not be as important to you as a customer, but if someone buys an ebike from a dealer, asks them to swap out a component, and it then breaks, fitting ebike certified components reduces the dealer’s liability in the event of an accident.

There’s a school of thought that the kind of burly kit people refer to as “over-engineered” is actually under-engineered. That’s because it can be relatively easy to make something that’s heavier or tougher than it needs to be, but a well engineered piece of equipment uses no more material than it needs in order to do the job for its projected service life. Do enough engineering work (which nowadays tends to mean CAD and spreadsheets) and you can bring that down to the absolute minimum necessary material to function and withstand particular tests. For bike bits, those tests are mostly built around the stresses a pushbike and rider will produce (admittedly in most cases that’ll also have a wide safety margin on top, because it’s no use having the absolute lightest components possible if you’re going to bend them every second ride). Ebikes weigh more than standard bikes and put a lot of components under slightly higher strains, hence people making new certification schemes for them.

cheers_drive

Ebikes weigh more than standard bikes and put a lot of components under slightly higher strains, hence people making new certification schemes for them.

But the extra weight is nothing compared to the 40kg variations than can easily be between riders. Strange standard.

kelvin

Not odd that standards for eBikes may vary slightly form standards for bikes without assistance. The alternative is standards for bikes being revised to cater for any extra regulations placed on the eBike market… who wants that?

igm

Pedals though?

How does an ebike put more strain on pedals?

Surely that is leg strength and rider weight alone.

Or are we saying fatties ride ebikes not standard bikes? (‘Cos I got news for them – I’m not light and have lots of non-e bikes)

kelvin

Tighter minimum standards for eBikes doesn’t mean that it might not be wise to get tougher pedals for your bike if you know you’re either super strong, or heavy, or both.

igm

Never broken pedals.

Bent axles – yes.

And broken wheels / spokes, frames, even an XT HTII spindle (that was a git to remove – it splayed on one side), but never pedals.

kelvin

And the pedals you’ve used might well have passed the certification that those eBike pedals have had to prove they comply with, if they had been tested.

igm

True

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Never broken pedals.

Bent axles – yes.

No, neither have I.
    But a lot, maybe the majority, of ebikes are not being bought by ‘cyclists’ like us. And be under no illusion, ‘non cyclists’ can wreck bikes to levels you and I can only dream of and not even know they’ve done it.
    And I reckon that’s what this new standard is aimed at – new riders needing something built far in excess of what’s generally necessary so it keeps going for longer. Weight isn’t an issue on an ebike, so let’s make it last longer.
    I can see that, I’m cool with it. 🙂

igm

Also cool with it. Just surprised.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Pedals have to be stronger for an email bike don’t they. The average weight of an e biker is considerably more. 😀

TheBrick
    Free Member

You’re confusing ebike rider with stw narcore enduro rider

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘E-bike specific pedals… really?’ is closed to new replies.