Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • e-bike spec
  • tasteslikeburning
    Free Member

I demoed a Turbo Levo HT last weekend with mixed results – the rear hub blew up and that was the end of that!

My impressions from the riding I did is that downhill it’s a lot of weight and momentum to handle (obvs!). For me a HT with a 120 mm fork isn’t going to do it. I think I’m going to need enough suspension to plough through stuff and handle heavy landings. Otherwise me and the bike will get beaten up.

So, I’m thinking a sturdy fork and shock combo (160 travel) and downhill standard brakes are must haves.

Anyone out there who has put in time on the trails on e-bikes forming similar impressions?

z1ppy

I have friends with them, none of them have killed anything specifically (except a motor ;D ) due to the extra weight, but watching them and trying the different bike & demo-ing some.. Just go full suss 160mm, as the extra weight between a 120mm HT and 160mm FS is negligible with a motor and a battery attached (unlesss you really mean to just pootle up canal paths) & having beefier kit means it’s gunna handle better..

Added to that, no ones chains self destructed or cassette worn early due to the ‘extra’ (no more than a very fit XC racer) power, so I’m struggling to believe you need a 8 speed e-bike transmission..

ton

the frame on my Haibike snapped. it was a fs model.

doomanic

I demoed a Levo FSR today. It was set up a bit soft for my fat arse but handled a really rough descent on the test route really well.

Denis99
    Free Member

I have ridden about 1,500 miles on my Felt Lebowske e fat bike to date.

It’s a hardtail e fat bike with 100mm Bluto fork.

This is the only bike I have ever fitted a 200mm front rotor to, so this should tell you something about trying to stop the beast.

It’s a different type of ride compared to a you just providing the sole propulsion.
    I treat it more like an off road cruiser, due to its weight, it is never going to be nimble or handle with the same sort of zip.

But, the big upside is climbing. Climbing is now like discovering new Singletrack .

I still like it, and also have a normal fat bike and a 160mm hardtail bike.

As a one bike option, then it does have some drawbacks in terms of pure adrenaline thrashing fun, but it does give a good opportunity for having a very enjoyable cruise around trails.

tomhoward

Owned a turbo levo FS (130mm pike and 135mm rear) since May, nothing’s dead yet. Not sure the extra weight of the bike will be an issue as regards durability, as the Motor and battery adds around 8kg, which is well within the variation of the weight of folk riding it. He issue will be from the consistently high power output straining the drivetrain, but a little mechanical sympathy when shifting should negate that, mines still going fine.

wiggles
    Free Member

In my experience (ridden quite a few as have a demo fleet at my disposal) travel isn’t everything, I can happily ride a 140mm travel turbo levo down things I wouldn’t on a 180mm travel haibike, just because the geometry is so much better and it feels much more capable.

Forks such as yari/pike/34 are enough you don’t want anything less though. Decent brakes are a must but XT or guides are fine with big rotors.

So basically you don’t need to have DH level stuff bit you want “enduro” type brakes/forks etc rather than anything lightweight as the weight isn’t really an issue.

Denis99
    Free Member

Regarding the drivechain wear.

Still on the original cassette and front chainring.

Have rotated three chains during the 1,500 miles and been a little OCD with keeping the drivechain clean.

It does wear the chain and cassette more due to the higher torque produced by the nmotor though.

Now at the stage of wearing the front ring, cassette, and chain into the ground.
    Probably get another 500 miles before it starts the inevitable chain suck.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Agree with much of the above – there is some additional weight/momentum involved but it’s not massive – you want robust enduro-type components but don’t need anything beefier than that. So think 34/35mm stanchions, 203 rotors, etc.

Looking at what e-bikes we’re going to carry next year and was very impressed with the new Meridas:
    http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_gb/bikes/e-bikes/mountain-bike-full-suspension/2017/eone-sixty-900e-8389.html

tymbian
    Free Member

The Meriden looks nice. Any idea on pricing?
    I must admit having a longer day out and being able to discover more does appeal to me.
    I think Specialized have got it right in terms of design by integrating the battery and down-to-earth ( are they the only ones to do this?
    I’d like to try one but Leisure Lakes want £100for the privilege.

scotroutes

Have a look at the Cube ebikes too. They’ve been doing them for a few years now so have got things pretty much sorted.

tymbian
    Free Member

On all of the Cube bikes the battery looks like an afterthought as do all the ebikes I’ve seen other than Spesh.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘e-bike spec’ is closed to new replies.