• This topic has 32 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by z1ppy.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • E Bike Reliability Question
  • singlespeedstu

Aimed specifically at those that own or have owned an Ebike.
    How reliable is the motor, bb bearings, chainring?
    Do you ever ride it in really shitty conditions?
    What motor is it?

tjagain

Sunstar so3 converted kit. hammered commuting for a couple of years over winter on salty roads. No reliability issues at all. Unfortunately no longer made

singlespeedstu

Thanks TJ but not quite what I was looking for.
    Maybe I wasn’t clear enough.
    Off road use and ebikes not conversion kits.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tjagain

Ah – sorry. I have used it offroad as well m:-)

somafunk

2016 Scott e-genius 710+ bought dec 2015 from David @ Bothybikes Aviemore, Bosch cx performance motor developed rumbly BB/main bearing after 4months/700miles of use, received replacement motor with no quibbles within a fortnight, since covered 4000miles and very surprisingly still on original complete drivetrain (yes…really!) although to be honest it is really worn, cassette is comically worn with pointy teeth, chain also laughs at chain checker but it still shifts perfectly well but I have a complete drivetrain in my toolbox waiting to fit as it’s going to go pop at some point. When I worked it was used daily for commuting on filthy Galloway rural roads but I quit work for good earlier on in year due to worsening MS so these days I use it daily so I can still get out to walk/bike the dog through the woods and out in the Galloway hills, it’s never let me down despite being ridden everywhere in turbo mode.

Pretty much faultless but I’d like it to lose 5kg so I can comfortably lift it over gates etc.

singlespeedstu

Good to hear Kenny.
    I mean the motor lasting not your health getting worse. 😥

somafunk

Edit : for the first year or so of ownership when I could ride it relatively normally it was ridden in some really filthy conditions, Galloway is not known for its rain/mud free conditions as you know Stu but it’s been near as damn it faultless, from the depths of the Cairngorms to the bog ridden Galloway hills, admittedly I do maintain it to the high standard I’ve always taken over any of my previous bikes, less mechanically sympathetic riders would prob disagree with my opinion

Not to worry Stu, some folk have it far worse – I have absolutely zero/**** all to complain about, unlike my closest friends who I posted about In this thread here last year, he got hit by secondary liver cancer diagnosed 4weeks ago after increasingly suffering pain he hid to himself (worked as skipper on fishing boats so only home for 10days/month since June) and is currently on IV drivers of fentanyl, ketamine, and very frequent injections of OxyContin. Just started chemo t’day to try and stretch to Xmas but it’s been a **** miserable existence for the past while and it’s only gonna get worse.

Hey ho…….appreciate and make the most of what you have now, for tomorrow it may all change…………… 😐

tomaso
    Free Member

There was a thread on here about problems with Specialized Turbo Levo bikes.

The issue of worn bottom bracket equalling a new Bosch motor unit at £600 always seems strange. Most other engines can have new big end bearings.

mickmcd
    Free Member

The issue of worn bottom bracket equalling a new Bosch motor

the levo doesn’t have a Bosch unit

rOcKeTdOg

Bosch cx performance motor developed rumbly BB/main bearing after 4months/700miles of use, received replacement motor with no quibbles

We’ve had one & i know another local shop have had two do this. Then again weve had one that has had a trip into the canal and lay on the bottom for a day or so until recovery that was fine once the water was removed and the diagnostics checked. All Bosch CX

martymac

Two Bosch equipped cubes here, each done around 1000 miles with no issues at all, still on original drivetrain.
    One has been chipped, so will quite comfortably sit at 25mph on the flat, the only noticeable issue has been the shorter battery life when this feature is used.
    I would buy the same again quite happily.
    I weigh 20 stone, bike copes no problem.
    Neither has been through any mega mud tho, a little bit but not loads.

singlespeedstu

Thanks all.
    Anyone else go any expenses to add to this?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Mrs M’s Cube E Stereo had the grumpy motor bearing issue, all resolved under warranty. Stay ontop of chain stretch as if not you’ll need to replace the front sprocket at the same time. Only other annoyance is that it’s eaten it’s frame bearings at 18 months.

Denis99
    Free Member

Not a very encouraging experience from me.

I had a Bosch CX motor ebike, rode virtually exclusively at Afan, had the bike for about 9 months.

It developed a cutting out problem that was never resolved. Must have cut out and left me with no power at least 20 times. This started happen after about 500 miles.

Eventually Felt agreed to refund me the original purchase price for the bike, as long as I bought another Felt.

Changed to full suspension bike.
    First frame, brand new, had play in the rear shock linkage, ok, not a specific ebike issue, but still…..

They exchanged this for another brand new replacement bike.

Again, Bosch powered.
    Again, failed after 50 miles.

Had a full refund.
    Not convinced that they are up to the required reliability given relatively aggressive off road use, and the mud, grit etc that comes with riding it in all weathers.

Trimix
    Free Member

They are quite expensive, so I would not be surprised if they use cheaper bits to help keep costs down.

Chap at work had one, frame cracked after less than a year. He only commutes on cycle paths to work on it, non of that is mountain biking. When I gave it a good look over it was made up cheap bits and pieces that would not stand up to much off roading.

zilog6128

I have a Cannondale Bosch eMTB. It has some nice touches that aren’t on the stock Bosch setup including a different front ring and a chain guide that apparently helps in mud. Ridden it in mud/rain but not really filthy conditions yet… definitely intend to over the winter though!

Only had it about 4 months but it’s not let me down yet. Probably done around 700 miles in that time. Did get a bit of rumbling from the BB area and thought “here we go” but a bit of lubrication sorted it (for now!) Will keep an eye on it though and prepared to send it back if need be as I’m aware that’s a problem area.

They are quite expensive, so I would not be surprised if they use cheaper bits to help keep costs down.

I would’ve thought that only applied to the budget end of the market? Mine was very much middle of the pricing range (for an eMTB, still way more that I’ve ever spent on a bike before lol) and all the kit on it is decent, frame seems very solid & substantial also!

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve got a Levo, done a bit over 3000km on it in the last year. Also got one due to MS although I can still run mine on the lowest setting possible and that works to take the edge off my legs. Still on original cassette and chainring but the cassette doesn’t look too happy! BB has been fine – I ride in mid Wales, quite often I’m over the BB deep in puddles or rivers.

However, I’m on my second motor and third battery (all done under warranty) although it’s been fine since April now. I have smashed the connector cover though, think it was a rock strike, but that a new one was 7 quid delivered! I’m certainly not easy on the bike in terms of smashing it into rocks but I weigh < 70kg so probably easy on it in other ways.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

From a usage perspective Mrs M’s Cube has been used around twice a week in truly horrendous South Downs winter Chalk and clay along with trips to Dartmoor where she has shown up some more Boutique brand owning friends! (sorry gratuitous plug of Mrs M’s “CHARGE” mentality).

cozz
    Free Member

I’ve got a hai bike fat six with bosch, done about 1200 miles on it, been fine no probs at all, had a new chain.
    It cut out on my once, took battery off and on again it was fine, put vaseline on battery contacts.

also got a cannondale moterrra 1, down about 800 miles, done dalby on it a few times, hamsterley, sherwood pines loads, had a new chain, will need cassette by spring

both are chipped too,

tomhoward

Done 1000ish miles on my Levo in 18ish months, no electric based issues to report. (Only issue was headset based, and I suspect that was me being a ham fisted tool)

Ride in all weathers/conditions, including a wet wintery commute at the moment

duzaki
    Free Member

Hi there in nov2017 I bought a Haibike xduro allmtn 6 Bosch powered and have traveled 493 miles 80 per cent off road in real muddy conditions.I live in the chilterns near wendover.However on the 13 march 18 I noticed strange noises and when washing the bike noticed play in the jocky wheel that runs above the chain.I have then found the bearing had fallen apart,I tracked down a bearing and fitted a new one.The following day I went out and put the battery on and rode half a mile and the display read error 500.I rode the bike home with no power and took it back to the dealer on the 13 march and was told he would need to keep and possible fit a new motor 7 to 10 days turnaround,3 days later the dealer rang me and told me it’s ready. I picked it up on Saturday and it seems great although due to weather I only rode it from the car to my garage.I found the service from the shop excellent as they also fitted a new gear cable and a chain which I had bought.I am however very concerned as 493 is no milage before needing a new motor,luckily it’s under warranty but what if it wasn’t?

z1ppy

My friends have had:

1 cube stereo with the previous gen bosch motor, had a new motor under warranty, but had run fine for a year. Three guys running Cx motors for two years now without issue, out in most conditions. The problem with bosch motors is that they can clog up with mud around the front chain ring, if not kept clear. 1 x Mk1 Yamaha that had a water ingress issue (not from washing) that they ‘decided’ would be fixed under warranty, but again has been fine for 2years, other that a self inflicted power ‘shifter’ replaced

and as you know I bought a Shimano powered one broken out of the box.. Replacements, again shimano powered is lots of fun though

tomhoward

I am however very concerned as 493 is no milage before needing a new motor,luckily it’s under warranty but what if it wasn’t?

was the motor replaced? You just said it might have been? Tbh 3 day turn around sounds like ‘turn it off and on again’…

aazlad
    Free Member

Two Bosch powered bikes in our riding group. Both owners are now on first name terms with the suppliers.  Losing all drive and hit and miss battery contacts seem to be the main issues.  Top tip…buy local.

doomanic

I’ve got a Trek Powerfly LT with the Bosch CX. No issues to report so far, but I’ve only done 191 miles so far.

The drive bearing issue is a concern, but the warranty support seems good and the bearings are available to buy and fairly easy to fit once out of warranty.

There is a mod to the driveside of the Bosch unit; a plastic moulding that is packed with grease (although mine wasn’t…) that is supposed to help but it strikes me as being little more than a bandaid.

grannyjone
    Free Member

I’ve always struggled to keep ontop of maintenance/mechanical issues with normal bikes. But with the higher mileages  (4K every year) and the routes I do (Trail Centre Red/Black and Natural equivalent) and lacking much maintenance knowledge it just wrecks them very quickly. I feel like if I got an ebike the mechanical problems would come even quicker, what with more to go wrong and getting more mileage in quicker, so I’ve decided not to get one yet until they come down in price and/or get more reliable.

escrs
    Free Member

Ive got a 2017 Spesh Levo turbo with a Brose motor

Gets used in all conditions including the boggy/claggy mud chalk mix of the SouthDowns and in the recent snow too

Been reliable but i did have rough feeling bearings after 8 months, took it a well known dealer who does same day motor swaps under warranty and he fitted the 2018 motor which has better bearing seals

Main thing is not to wash with a hose pipe around the motor, best to use a wet brush and wipe away dirt

Also before you buy whatever e bike you decide on join that bike’s Facebook page and chat with owners to find out who the best dealer in your area is for price and for ease of any warranty work

For example the dealer i used for my warranty work gets people who drive 2-3 hours each way to get any warranty work done by him due to his same day service and his knowledge and he’s happy to chat on messenger to help work out whats wrong before you go to him

Have heard stories of a big name shop having a bike for a week and not being able to fix the fault then told the customer that they would have to remove the motor and send it back to Bosch (it was a Brose motor!!!)

Luckily he joined our Facebook group, chatted to our dealer and had a brand new motor fitted the next day

Also when you go to buy ask about ex demo bikes, these normally have little use, come with a full warranty and a big discount

Poopscoop

Can I ask?

How long is the warranty on most e MTB’s?

It sound like some of the repairs costs are in the car ownership ballpark if issues arise out of warranty?😲

davosaurusrex

Judging by the above is  it fair to say the Shimano Steps is the most reliable of the units? Hope so as I ordered one of the new Canyons at the weekend

chvck
    Free Member

I think I’m on my third or fourth battery and third motor now (Specialized Levo), I’ve lost count. Needs to go in to have the wiring harness changed again I think. I moved after buying the bike so use a different dealer for warranty work and the labour charges are beginning to stack up. The warranty on mine is 2 years which ends end of November, I’m a little worried about that…

singlespeedstu

Hope so as I ordered one of the new Canyons at the weekend

That’s exactly what I’m looking to do.

What size did you go for and how big are you?

davosaurusrex

6’3″ and a bit and XL. In an ideal world  I’d have 500 reach and CS around 440 but the Canyon is near identical to my 21.5″ Trek Fuel (the Canyon has more stack which is better for me) but I could spend my life waiting for a bike that doesn’t exist so I went for it

z1ppy

Can I ask?

How long is the warranty on most e MTB’s?

2 years is standard on motor and batteries. Most batteries should available for around 8 years. I’m pretty sure I saw a report suggesting Bosch will sell replacement motor’s for around £400 for out of warranty repairs and 2nd hand purchases. I’d hope the other have a similar policy but don’t know of that for sure.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘E Bike Reliability Question’ is closed to new replies.