Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • dyspraxia help
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

The internet has a wealth of knowledge on this subject what I’m after is 1st hand stories/experience ?

academics ?
    social life
    sports
    normal life
    anything appreciated

My son has been diagnosed with dyspraxia by one neurologist and hypermoble by another neurologist both have very similar traits (one consultant is at GOSH the other consultant Royal free)
    I think the dyspraxia diagnosis is wrong and the hypermobile is correct … so will now be getting a third opinion that we will have to pay for I’m speaking with the GOSH doctor again on Friday to go over his findings and as to why he thinks this.

Feel very frustrated by this all its taken a year to get to this point, and our local council cant offer OT for 9 months !

Any help would be great…

wanmankylung
    Free Member

There are lots of different types of dyspraxia most of which tend to involve a difficulty with sequencing of tasks. What kind have they diagnosed your boy with?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

What kind have they diagnosed your boy with?

Good question the GOSH doctor hasn’t given us any level the letter should arrive by Weds so maybe that will clarify more

shermer75
    Free Member

OP do you mean hypermobile?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

OP do you mean hypermobile?

Yes

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

My son, now aged 18, has had a diagnosis of Dyspraxia since he was 5. He had a lot of trouble with speech (making the necassary sounds to form words due to lack of coordination between lips and tongue) so he underwent a lot of speech therapy as a young child. Out of this, and various other issues, came the Dyspraxia diagnosis.

If you would like to know more about my/his experience please feel free to email me. Email in profile.

BB

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Not sure I’ve ever heard of hypermobile? New one on me, but FWIW – I was diagnosed with moderate dyspraxia at the age of 26.

I’d always been able to read okay – I read off the end of the reading lists at school and had a reading age of 13 at the age of 7, so I’m guessing that’s why it was never picked up throughout my schooling, unlike how dyslexia would’ve been.

My problems were with poor working memory, poor spelling, clumsyness at practical tasks and slow processing speed, which resulted in me being rather frustrated and bored at school, with poor concentration and a tendency to get into trouble a lot. I was never any good at football either.

Having the diagnosis, when I went back to uni as a mature student (I dropped out from uni the first time I tried!) made all the difference. I was coached on how to use different learning techniques – and given the time (extra 15 mins per hour in exams) and resources (home computer with special software) that enabled me to succeed. I passed my degree the second time around with 1st Class (Hons.) and the University prize.

I now have a PhD and work as an academic at a Uni, so I suspect the key lesson here is knowing that having the right support in place at the right time will make all the difference to your son’s (or anyone else’s) prospects. I just wish it’d been picked up sooner.

Not quite sure if that’s any use, but anyways.. 🙂

Still not quite sure what hypermobility is though.. ?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Bianchi-Boy cheers

My son is 7.5 years old speaks perfectly, done all the baby milestone things at the correct age academically average rides a bike plays tennis catches balls with one hand excellent at computer games…the only thing is he cant do is stand on one leg, he falls down like a sack of potatoes and this is why he says he has Dyspraxia he is very clumsy and trips over or bumps into things…

Cougar

No idea about dyspraxia but I know a fair bit about hypermobility. Add EDS to your googling list.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Quick look at EDS and I dont think he falls into this

Richie_B

I have/had both the local GP told my parents about the hypermobility early on and I was told I was dyspraxic the same time as I was diagnosed as dyslexic in my twenties (up to then I was clumsy and couldn’t write for toffee). Hypermobility has never been a problem although I have been prone to more soft tissue injuries than most (even by climbing and MTBing standards).

Climbing greatly improved my coordination (apparently its sports/activities where you have to coordinate movement crossing the centreline of your body – dividing left from right that help the best). By my mid to late twenties I was probably at least up to average coordination wise once I started sport climbing probably a bit better than that.

I was never going to be in the school football or rugby team but then if I had been I wouldn’t have got into climbing, mtbing, fell running etc.

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

My Son has it. It’s the fine motor skills that he struggles with, shoelaces, using a knife and fork, handwriting.

I seemed to have spent a lot of time explaining the condition to teachers. My son can either write quickly, or write so that you can read it. The teacher needs to decide which they want 🙂

daftvader
    Free Member

I’m have dyspraxia, can’t spell for toffee, writing looks like 2 spiders have been at the ink and scurried on the page, used to struggle with micro coordination (still do of I’m tired or hungover) hands shake all the time, was clumsy as hell, and I have the short term memory of a gnat! That said I have a reading age off the scale whilst at school but didn’t get on well at school at all ( teachers were totally uninterested as it wasn’t well known) i ended up goingto uni and ggetting a degree against all odds! As for sport… I love it, do as much as I can. Archery helped me as I HAD to concentrate same with climbing, and despite having the balance of a pyramid stood on its point, still can’t stand on one leg for very long, even learned to Surf!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

can either write quickly, or write so that you can read it

😆 Yes THIS, I can definitely relate to this.

daftvader
    Free Member

No eyed deer…. I’ve always been crap at football too!!!

Richie_B

With football I eventually realised that someone who runs around like an idiot getting in all the good players (who were likely to score goals) way was called a defender

Bregante

My eight year old has dyspraxia and lots of what has been said above is very very familiar to me.

He was diagnosed at 4 and we were fortunate to get him statemented almost as soon as he started at school so he has additional help. He was given a sloped writing board because he finds it quite difficult to lean over a desk all day in class and this has helped him no end.

As others have said, my lad is clumsy and has very little coordination.so catching sports in particular are an issue. He is nowhere near ready to ride a bike as his balance is all over the place.

Academically he is performing extremely well and his spelling and mathematics are much higher than average but his written work is really poor due to the issues with fine motor skills.

One of the issues with hypermobility is that sufferers tire quite quickly and he has struggled with swimming in particular as floppy limbs and poor coordination is never going to be a good combination in a swimming pool 😀

gringerd
    Free Member

I was diagnosed with mild dyspraxia in my teens. I had been struggling at school as I wasn’t completing work on time due to slow writing speed and the appearance of my handwriting was (and still is) shocking.
    Following the assessment I was allowed 25% extra time in exams and given support with my handwriting skills. I was also given a lot of encouragement in finding different ways to present things so as to avoid my writing costing me marks.
    It can be a bit rubbish as things that require fine motor skills, I still try to avoid handwriting too much and my typing is slow, but I did get a degree and a reasonably successful job.

The inability with fine motor stuff is also a bit of a pain with fettling but most jobs can be done with a bit of extra time.

Dyspraxic drunken high fives are quite entertaining especially after the 3rd or 4th attempt

rt60
    Free Member

Lots of good stuff already said, I was diagnosed aged 19, yes it can be very frustrating and school was hell, teachers ripping work up because it wasn’t neat enough etc.

Learned coping strategies and extra time in exams at uni and the fact that everything is typed now anyway means I managed uni twice.

I genuinely think that it taught me to think laterally and while short term memory and peoples names etc are atrocious I have a fantastic memory for useless facts which is important in my line of work.

Coordination is a issue but sheer stubbornness has allowed me to get ok at lots of sports needing good balance. It just takes me longer than most people and have had many many trips to A&E.

There are many worse things he could have, it just means he will need support.

awkwardkid
    Free Member

My son’s having tests now. He’s aged four.
    I’m fairly sure its due to a wrong diagnosis when he was born. A blood test was read wrong and they missed a bad case of jaundice which put him in intensive care for a week.
    He’s a bright lad but his teachers are concerned as am i. My lad loves his BMX and has no fear. he puts his mind to something and he achieves it! I know he’ll be fine because i’ll be with him ever step of the way but the worry of the unknown is a parental reaction.
    I firmly believe regardless that children overcome anything you put in front of them but i’m pulling up a chair to this tread as i’d love to understand real world peoples experiences.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘dyspraxia help’ is closed to new replies.