Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Dysonists – about to do a V8 absolute vaccuum – any reason why not?
  • munkster
    Free Member

Just want a cordless thing that won’t die after 5 mins and has decent power. Have sold the kidney to raise funds so hopefully will be well enough to use the Dyson in a few weeks.

Thanks for any views/feedback/insight!

legend
    Free Member

We got a V something when they were discounted after Christmas – seems good, get used more than the old vacuum as it’s convenient, wall mounted charger is good, hasn’t really enhanced my life otherwise

munkster
    Free Member

hasn’t really enhanced my life otherwise

This is a deal breaker for me TBH, maybe we’ll stick to corded 😯 😉

Thanks though… 🙂

footflaps

any reason why not?

James Dyson is a rabid right wing Brexit nut job who wants to use Brexit to erode employment rights?

hedley
    Free Member

We love ours. It’s used all the time and the house has never been so clean.

It is so quick and easy to grab, vacuum and pop back in the charger. Power is great even on normal mode and deals very well with dog and cat hairs.

Yes I know plugging in a corded vacuum isn’t the end of the world but.

Highly recommended.

wilburt
    Free Member

Gets used for little jobs, cant imagine it ever replacing a proper vac.

djflexure

We have a v8 and v6 – one upstairs one down
    V8 is much better than v6
    Replaced a normal vacuum in our house – all hardwood floors if that makes a difference

allthegear
    Free Member

So, what’s a good equivalent that isn’t a Dyson? (I’m looking for something similar)

Rachel

Gary_M
    Free Member

As above we have a v6 and a v8, v6 at the caravan and the v8 at home. Both are good but the V8 is much better. We haven’t got the sebo out since we bought it and a corded vacuum seems very old fashioned now.

wiggles
    Free Member

My mum bought a Morphy Richards one just before Christmas and already took it back because it’s knackered so wouldn’t advice that one

Cougar

I have one. It’s great. However, there’s always this:

James Dyson is a rabid right wing Brexit nut job who wants to use Brexit to erode employment rights?

legend
    Free Member

wilburt – Member

Got the powered head? That’s making all the difference in our house

demelitia
    Free Member

http://www.vax.co.uk/vacuum-cleaners/cordless-vacuum-cleaners/air-cordless-lift-solo-vacuum-cleaner

We’ve got one of these; very impressive, especially for the money.
    The main body lifts out and retains the all the working bits, hose too. It’s handy for keeping on top of the car and such. Means you’re not trailing an extension down the drive way and you have better access in to nooks and crannies with the hose than the Dyson we have at work.
    It also came with a fair amount of attachment which may come in hand, one day.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Not a reason not to, but just out of curiosity this is worth a read…
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jan/22/dyson-v8-prices-compare-models-names-absolute

slowoldman

I thought it was all straight four turbos these days.

wiggles
    Free Member

I thought it was all straight four turbos these days.

that’s all the euro regulations, Mr Dyson isn’t a fan…

robbo1234biking

We got one of these from Amazon after Christmas for only £99.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071DP3VGD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We find the house is a lot cleaner because you can just get it out to do little things without it being a hastle. Battery life is fine. The only time it has run was on the first day when the wife tried to hoover anything she could.

I know a corded vacuum isn’t a huge issue but when you can get it out hoover something up and put it back in under a minute it means you are less inclined to leave it to the end of the week and do it all in one big go.

nealglover
    Free Member

So, what’s a good equivalent that isn’t a Dyson? (I’m looking for something similar)

Rachel

We got the GTech set (upright and handheld) Both really good.
    The old Dyson went to the tip not long after we got them.

submarined
    Free Member

Mr Dyson isn’t a fan…

Quite the opposite, in fact. He thinks they suck.

simon_g

Dyson’s politics aside, we have a V6 that gets used 99% of the time. It won’t do more than a couple of rooms on a charge but we just spread it out rather than doing all the vacuuming in one go. With two young kids it’s perfect to quickly whizz round picking up the crumbs off the floor.

wilburt
    Free Member

wilburt – Member

Got the powered head? That’s making all the difference in our house

Nope its just the standard v6.

Possibly a lifestyle this as well, dogs, cats and kids make a lot of mess, on my own or just with a tidy partner in a well organised flat and the Dyson would be fine.

robbo1234biking

Possibly a lifestyle this as well, dogs, cats and kids make a lot of mess, on my own or just with a tidy partner in a well organised flat and the Dyson would be fine

I would agree with that. With a toddler and a cat it is brilliant. When it was just me and the mrs we could go a couple of weeks without needing to hoover and there just wasn’t mess!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Dyson’s politics aside

yes, how dare he show such blatant support of women :

Inventor of the Dyson to open new university targeted at women

Sir James said: ‘Something like 45% of our workforce here are female. We don’t think that is good enough.

‘We want to get the intake up to 50% (female) and a much higher percentage of female engineers in our workforce.

Dyson launched the £22 million institute to feed home grown talent into the engineering industry, which has a shortfall of 64,000 people each year.

A previous comment from an STWer :

He employs 3500 people in the UK all highly skilled engineering and R&D jobs and from a wide variety of countries. He’s expanding his uk operations, setting up a Science and Enigneering ‘University’ to encourage more engineers and scientists I the UK. All his intellectual property is based in the UK and he’s developing his new EV in the UK.

His highly automated production lines are in Malaysia so the products themselves are assembled abroad…but so will over 90% of all the other products in your home and the clothes you wear and the bikes you ride etc.

Oh and he pays his taxes in the UK. Properly too.

If you ever get a chance to go round his UK facility it is a truly inspiring and impressive place to be. One of the few remaining British proper innovative engineering companies.

sadexpunk

Rachel
    lass at work who lives for her hoovering apparently 😯 swears by her new shark, says its better than any dyson.
    she was gonna bring it in for a ‘hoover off’ with a dyson fan at work but that thrilling contest hasnt happened yet……

oldtalent
    Free Member

I have one and its great. The below is a bonus + it annoys the lefties & remoaners on here, which is a double bonus.

sbob
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

James Dyson is a rabid…

Compared to who?
    The average STWer? 😆
    🙄

He’s positively chamomile.

BigJohn

Is he trying to get more female engineers so he can cut his wage bill?

sbob
    Free Member

BigJohn – Member

This post needs more recognition. 🙂

Nico
    Free Member

No, it’s so he can enjoy the promotion interviewing process more fully. #MeToo.

project
    Free Member

We got the GTech set (upright and handheld) Both really good.
    The old Dyson went to the tip not long after we got them.

inherited 2 from a customer who bought a G tech, nice plastic mouldings etc, but crap at picking up dirt dust etc, so took one apart to see the workings, just basicly a cyclone and some filters.

Took both to the tip site, tip operative took them of me saying they had a dyson skip full of the things, as they get so many broken, and as theyre mostly plastic good for recycling into a proper vacumn cleaner

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Have v8. Love it. You vacum far more. Its so quick i cant imagine ever having a corded one again as for small.spills its quicker to do than even unwinding a cable. Great for the car too. Can do a whole 4 bed house on low or about 3 rooms on turbo mode. We got the orange tubed on, not sure of name.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Double post.

oldnpastit

+1 for Gtech
    -1 for Dyson

chvck
    Free Member

I have a v6, it gets used a lot more than the henry that it replaced and is more powerful too. The weight and manoeuvrability of it actually makes a real difference to me being able to use it (appreciate this won’t be the case for most). I can do probably half of the house on a charge and I think that the v8 lasts twice as long too.

I bought it refurbed and it packed in, they sent me a new battery no questions asked and then sent me a new body when the battery didn’t fix the issue. I’ve pretty much had the same value in warranty parts as I paid for it in the first place.

mickmcd
    Free Member

James Dyson is a rabid right wing Brexit nut job who wants to use Brexit to erode employment rights

I spat out my bathwater laughing

would this fall under technical reasons or something else.

would a university where only women can go not be construed as sexist….which we are all trying to stamp out

dorsetknob
    Free Member

Bought 2 V6’s at Christmas discounted to about £130 apparently refurbished but both brand new run for about 20 mins, V8 will be great. If you have any problems excellent backup, engineer comes to you. And the owner of the company believes in investment in this country and others, top chap.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Dysonists – about to do a V8 absolute vaccuum – any reason why not?’ is closed to new replies.