• This topic has 78 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Dyson what will it be like… Sinclair or Tesla.?
  • T1000
    Free Member

So what’s kind of EV?

a rival for Tesla or more like Sinclair?

wwaswas

Tesla invested huge amounts in keeping production in their home market despite cheaper manufacturing bases being available.

Not like that.

Bruce

Heavy made of plastic and expensive with average performance? A triumph of form over function.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fasthaggis

Will you have to stop every 100 miles and empty the fluff out of a filter?
    🙂

maccruiskeen

Heavy made of plastic and expensive with average performance?

Its almost like nobody can remember what vacuum cleaners were like before Dyson came along. If Dysons today are ‘average’ then they can at least be credited with having raised the average up by a fair chunk

ransos
    Free Member

It’ll suck.

Hicksy
    Free Member

Bravo Sir!

surfer
    Free Member

Bruce +1

Heavy, over priced and over engineered.

Why do they feel they are at the forefront of engineering technology?

Moses

Dyson is a guy who has decades of experience bringing electrically-powered devices to a consumer market, most of which last longer and perform better than the competition. He’s made billions.

There’s a good chance that it will be an excellent vehicle.

Dyson also has its R&D centre in the UK, even though they manufacture in Asia now. They are good at patent protection, too, so I could see some unique features being included which set them apart from the competition.
    Here’s hoping.

nickjb
    Free Member

If Dysons today are ‘average’ then they can at least be credited with having raised the average up by a fair chunk

Spot on. Before dyson all vacuum cleaners were rubbish, although they were also cheaper 🙂 Not sure how much influence dyson had but hand dryers are also way better now. You can actually find ones that dry hands now. They’ve moved things on, even if you don’t use their products some of the products you do use are likely to be better because of them. Let’s hope they can do the same for electric cars. They’ve have good motor and battery experience. They also have some decent autonomation with their robot stuff

somouk
    Free Member

I hope it will compete with tesla and either force them to push on in their space or become cheaper due to the competition.

CaptJon
    Free Member

maccruiskeen – Member
    Its almost like nobody can remember what vacuum cleaners were like before Dyson came along. If Dysons today are ‘average’ then they can at least be credited with having raised the average up by a fair chunk

The original Dyson vacuums were marketed superbly. So well in fact, people still reproduce the notion that vacuum technology before the bagless Dyson was useless.

Drac

Vas which at the time were the super vacuum were about £150 in the mid 80s, that was a lot of cash.

km79
    Free Member

Its almost like nobody can remember what vacuum cleaners were like before Dyson came along.

They were called hoovers and they worked fine.

jambalaya
    Free Member

If it’s priced like the vacuums it will cost double a Tesla !

On a more seriois note I inagine he’s aiming mainstream in terms of price and spc. The problem with cars is the cost of getting the product to market is billions with all the safety tests etc.

footflaps

So well in fact, people still reproduce the notion that vacuum technology before the bagless Dyson was useless.

Hoovers etc pretty much were rubbish, great suction for about 10 seconds until the bags were all blocked with dust.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Will they look like they’ve been assembled using whatever coloured panels were available in the scrapyard? Purple door, yellow bonnet, blue bumpers and a grey roof.

wilburt
    Free Member

I’m not sure what planet shitvac you lot grew up on but I recall our old hoovers being excellent. Only rivaled now by Henrys certainly not Dysons which are vacuums for people with cleaners.

Drac

They were called hoovers and they worked fine.

Do you ask for a cheese and ham breville for a snack?

nickjb
    Free Member

I inagine he’s aiming mainstream in terms of price and spc

Or maybe not…

Sir James also said that his firm’s car would look “radical and different”, but will not be aimed at the mass market.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41399497

MrWoppit
    Free Member

M(iel)eh…

Moses

I recall our old hoovers being excellent.

I suspect that you didn’t actually do the hoovering. The non-replaceable bags blocked after a couple of minutes, and the ones with disposable bags cost a fortume to run (the disposable razor marketing model) The rotating brushes also jammed on lego bricks and burned out the belts regularly.

onandon
    Free Member

Probably highly desirable but generally shit

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d be quite interested if Dyson also built some power stations or charging facilities to power his planned vehicles…

But I doubt he will.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Post Brexit it’s going to be like this isn’t it.

British Rotary Racing Series.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P_JkddDw90[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeQv60OZuP8[/video]

Everyone going round in these:

maxtorque

Man who makes electric motors thinks he can make whole cars.

Trust me, the electric motor is the EASY bit to design and make. To make a decent passenger car is extremely difficult. People like VW spend more on door seals and infotainment systems than they do on the oily bits that make the car move! (and they’ve had 30 or 40 years of experience making their cars a little bit better every year)

Dyson is going to discover that it’s very, very, very hard to make a profit on a car. I’m sure this will be a few (low volume) high end “super” EV’s if they do get to production, which will have precisely ZERO impact on the rest of the passenger car market!

CountZero

Heavy, over priced and over engineered.

Why do they feel they are at the forefront of engineering technology?
    Are you an engineer working in his area of manufacturing? I understand that the motors designed by Dyson, or at least his engineers, are properly cutting edge, and he’s employing a huge number of people in Malmesbury, and has just opened a new design university: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/nov/04/james-dyson-addresses-engineering-skills-gap-with-university-launch

The Dyson Institute of Technology – which will be based at Dyson’s campus in Wiltshire – will take its first 25 students in September next year. As part of the course, students will not pay any fees, be handed a salary and work alongside Dyson engineers on upcoming products.

What that article doesn’t say is that 850+ students applied for th 25 places on the course, and 33 were actually accepted, they will receive a starting salary of £15,500/year, rising each year, and they’ll leave higher education dept-free.
    Dyson must be doing something right, if he can afford to set up a facility like this, and it can only benefit the future of design development in the UK.

People like VW spend more on door seals and infotainment systems than they do on the oily bits that make the car move! (and they’ve had 30 or 40 years of experience making their cars a little bit better every year)

Since when has any car manufacturer spent any money on infotainment systems? They’re all bought in from Sony, Alpine, or any one of a number of outside companies. Including Naim, if you’re Bentley.
    And I’ll bet that the money Mazda have put into their new compression/ignition petrol engine and the new monocoque body to put it in exceeds by some margin what’s spent on door seals, which again are OEM items supplied by third-party manufacturers.

samunkim
    Free Member

Just stick to motors and batteries and get Lotus to design the car. You know it makes sense

Drac

I’d take a guess at the guy who has built a very large and successful engineering company has put a little thought into this but I can only see it being a cock waving exercise of what he can do rather than a proper production car, Possibly so he can hold a few patents.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Well the Dude who started PayPal went onto the make EVs that make the efforts of the major car markers look shit, admittedly they cost a fortune – but Tesla 3 seems to hit the sweet spot between price, range and performance that cars like the Zoe and Leaf can’t touch.

I’m not a big fan of James Dyson, he’s got the sort of ego the leads him to think, nay KNOW that whatever is good for him and his business and personal wealth is automatically good for everyone.

It might be great, it might be shit – it’ll certainly be heavily marketed as being the best thing ever to happen to EVs, but really he’s riding Tesla’s coattails, but someone needs to offer competition to make the market work.

woody74

Irrelevant if you like Dyson cleaners or not, you have to hand it to him for doing so well from vacuum cleaners that he can even think about building a car. To be honest, it is a massive jump, and I would think it is more likely that they end up developing an electric drivetrain that they then sell to car companies. A bit like how so many cars have Peugeot diesel engines.

In the same way, I really wonder if Apple will release an electric car. More likely all the software and electronics, licensed to manufacturers.

Anyway good on him for being so successful.

Drac

There’s speculation that Apple are working on a car too..

molgrips
    Free Member

Tesla showed you can make an impact, if not a profit in the car industry from scratch.

I welcome it tbh. The more these things become objects of desire the better the market will become. Honda, Toyota &co can put the hard graft in to make normal cars; Elon and James can stimulate demand.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Dyson are recruiting so thats a good thing But, they don’t have a great rep in terms of employee satisfaction.
    Based on the research that MrsDT’s did anyway.

maxtorque

CountZero
    Since when has any car manufacturer spent any money on infotainment systems?

I guess you’ve not been into an OEM in the last 15 years then??

phiiiiil

In the last month in particular it seems the number of companies announcing an electric car – either with a tiny teaser image of a headlight or some swoopy lines on a black background, or at most a concept prototype that won’t look anything like the real thing (if the real thing ever comes, of course) – has been enormous. EVERYBODY is doing it. I’d be surprised if Dyson weren’t, really. Although I won’t be holding my breath for anything much to really come of it. Half of these announcements I would guess will result in a little run of very niche cars for enthusiasts then will quietly be forgotten about.

And I speak as someone with an EV sat on the drive who is very keen on the whole idea.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Will Sinclair C5 ever be updated ..?

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Dyson helicopters from home to work, will that be leccy powered too?

samunkim
    Free Member

I’ve seen pictures of their E-Bike

I’m oouut

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

There’s speculation that Apple are working on a car too..

I think that was named project Titan and has been shelved in favour of just working on the ‘smart’ aspects of autonomous vehicles rather than a whole car.

Now dyson motors, Lotus chassis and Apple smarts would make an interesting collaboration.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Dyson what will it be like… Sinclair or Tesla.?’ is closed to new replies.