Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Dynaplug tubeless repairs
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Saw someone use a Dynaplug Pill on holiday and it’s impressively quick and effective compared to messing with the cheap kits.

However, the Pill is over £50 now. The ‘carbon’ ultralite looks bulkier but no heavier and it’s only £19. Anyone seen one in the flesh?
    http://www.dynaplug-uk.com/dynaplug-c-22/dynaplug-carbon-ultralite-tubeless-tyre-puncture-repair-kit-p-102

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tick. I’m curious about these.

BadlyWiredDog

‘Only £19’ for two plugs? I’ve had no problems with the Geniune Innovations anchovy things at considerably less. Almost a tenner to fix a single puncture seems overpriced..

sprinter2139
    Free Member

I’ve got this one myself, never had to use it but it’s tiny so you can take it out in your pocket even if you’re not carrying a bag.

Perfect for the minimalist explorer! Or just people like me that don’t like carrying loads of stuff.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

‘Only £19’ for two plugs

Well, it actually comes with 3 from the looks of all the photos. Refills are about £2 a plug – yes, it’s damned expensive but really remarkably quick and easy when I saw it used and it’s very rare I actually need more then Stans fluid.

I’ve got one of these Weldtite kits but the only times I’ve had to use it I found it really difficult to thread the anchovy onto the tool and then had problems stopping it pulling it back out again. Plus you’re messing with glue.

The Dynaplug thing was just stick it in the tyre, pull out, done.

funkmasterp

After being sprayed by endless amounts of sealant twice in the last two weeks I’m starting to think they look like good value.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I struggle to see it’s USP really, it’s definitely marketed at Enduro, but….

The only advantage, unless I’m missing something, over anchovies is that it’s a bit quicker, fair enough.

But on an enduro stage, even if you had it in your pocket, by the time you’ve stopped to get it out, and deployed, you’ll have lost at least half your air volume, and yer time for that stage will be pretty goosed.

I don’t see it being significantly quicker than a pre loaded anchovy, already on the wee insertion tool, in a pocket.

I’m perhaps missing something?.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Quicker, easier and for how infrequently you need it not a great expense. If it saves 15 minutes of messing around in the rain or cold (or just holding up your mates) that’s not a bad call.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

How is it 15 minutes than a pre loaded anchovy? Let’s face It, that’s all it is, with a pointy brass bit….

Onzadog
    Free Member

Get the rounded brass ends. Less chance of rim damage.

funkmasterp

Wouldn’t you need the pre-loaded anchovy need to be coated in fresh glue or am I missing something?

luket

I’ve got that purple one too. It’s clearly a luxury but it’s very quick to use. I wouldn’t try to justify the cost but you get 5 with it and the refills aren’t crazy money so it isn’t a tenner a go.

I’ve used many anchovies in my time and this twice. This is of course quicker but then anchovies aren’t slow. And I’m not winning any races anyway. The dyna plug does give you two sizes as well and I’ve never carried anchovies as big as the big one. That said, unfortunately one of my recent flats was a tear too big for either.

So yeah, it costs more but is a bit better in my view.

Edit: I can’t see it saving 15 mins either. It doesn’t need glue – supposedly the stickiness that’s on it already is enough but I haven’t used it enough to know for sure. Anchovies I’ve always been happy to leave in for the rest of the life of the tyre.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

for small tears, I’ve never had to use the glue, anchovy and the sealant inside are enough, and those dynaplugs look as if they’re only for small tears too, so pretty comparable.

Even if you had to use glue, a wee tube along with the tool and anchovy in a pocket are still smaller than that big dynaplug holder.

I want to like it, but it seems only to be an alternative instead of a new solution.

Poopscoop

Good thread.

I’ve got the Weldite kit but as a recent convert to tubeless I’ve not had to use it yet.

Jinxed for sure now. 😉

The other kits look interesting but I don’t like the idea of that bit of metal stuck in the tyre. I would be concerned about it hitting the rim.

Probably totally irrational concern though!

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Ive never found the weldtite kits that slow.

As said for racing you can pre fit an anchovie. And no real need for glue.

Though the purple racer version seems quite nice.

There is also the sahmurai sword bar end version
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/plug-tubeless-tyres-with-sahmurai-sword-43834/

Rubber_Buccaneer

It’s a neat kit and I’d already have one if it wasn’t so expensive. As said above it’s just a variation on anchovies.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Also, if you struggle getting anchovies on/off the threaded tool, you can often just lay them on the puncture and push them in with the tool. Rather than actually threading it through

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

That’s worth knowing. Cheers.

krixmeister

Does the pointy thing stay on once in the tire? And if so, how does that work if you at a later date need to chuck a tube into the tire?

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Yea it stays on. So would affect fitting a tube. As said you can get round ones, which are a bit kinder!

Means either removing plug or cutting the brass off leaving the twisted black section.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hey Simon, they work well on smaller holes. I’ve seen them used a lot and they are fast and easy. On bigger holes they don’t work but what I’ve seen done is to put two into a bigger hole and it seemed to hold. It’s a bit expensive that way, imagine a pinch with two plugs per hole! That’s €8!

BadlyWiredDog

Wouldn’t you need the pre-loaded anchovy need to be coated in fresh glue or am I missing something?

The Genuine Innovations ones are pre-coated with gooey stuff that seems to last well ime, so no need to mess about with tubes of adhesive as per the Weldite / Panaracer ones. I’ve found them quick and easy to use. I’ve tried the non-coated ones also and they’re a hassle, particularly if you also need to cut strips off a piece of rubber.

The Dynaplugs look good, but personally I can’t get past the price. The blurb linked to says:

What’s included:

1 x Dynaplug® Ultralite tool
    2 x Tubeless tyre repair plugs
    1 x Insertion tube
    1 x Pipe cleaner

But even if you do get three plugs in a kit, it still sets you back just over six quid to fix a small hole in a tubeless tyre. Sorry, I feel like I’m being negative here, but on the plus side, I’d suggest the Genuine Innovations kit as a more affordable, but very effective alternative if you haven’t tried it.

scaredypants

I have a set, haven’t used it yet though
    cost about 20 quid (I think I got 4 strips but not sure)
    I’m intending to keep it for road tyres where I’ve had anchovies blow out of the flimsier end of the tyre range (pro one, for example) but even there I’d prob try a normal fix first. The “step” on the back of the brass head looks to me like it’ll allow better retention but of course that’s just me guessing, ’til I’ve had a go.

(I filed off the sharp tips on my set – just a bit as I still need to get them into fairly small holes (big holes and it’ll still be a brace of anchovies, then a tube if it fails))

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I’ve got the Weldtite kit and have used this a few times – it’s generally been pretty good, but I have had to make the hole a little larger on occasion

I got a tip from one of the guides at Basque MTB recently – he used old inner tube and cut small strips to use instead of the anchovies – this means you can cut to size rather than just having the fixed size plug – I actually put this in to practice recently and it worked really well (used the tools from the Weldtite kit to fit it)

Can’t see the justification for the expensive Dynaplug kit

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

he used old inner tube and cut small strips to use instead of the anchovies – this means you can cut to size rather than just having the fixed size plug

Aye, fine to get you home, anchovy is a better long term repair as the fibrous content in there makes it a lot more robust to the wear from riding.

DezB
    Free Member

Was in Lidl yesterday – bought a tyre repair canister for £2! They had loads.
    (I do have a Dynaplug Racer too)
    Exactly the same as this:

Might work on tubeless 🙂

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

(Waves at Doug – it was David using his while we were out that got me looking at them).

The Genuine Innovations ones are pre-coated with gooey stuff that seems to last well ime, so no need to mess about with tubes of adhesiv

Ok – then that sounds like the best idea. Tools from Weldtite kit are good and great value – you get a rasp, insert tool and knife – but top up with Genuine Innovations anchovies and dump the glue.

(though of course no-one in the UK seems to have stock of the anchovies at the moment)

AlexSimon

I’ve used the Weldtite one 3 times now (with the anchovies cut in half). 100% success rate and never used glue. After faffing a little the 3rd time, I’ve now pre-threaded the next anchovy into the tool to save a minute or two.

Like others, I’ve never liked the idea of the metal bit left in your tyre with the dynaplug set. Especially as I run 18-20psi on carbon rims.

AlexSimon

simons_nicolai-uk – just be aware that motorbikes got these first, so some on ebay might be quite thick for bicycle use. Hard to tell from that photo though.

martinh
    Free Member

Good but idiosyncratic write up here http://teamdicky.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/plugged-in.html

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

That’s a good review. Interesting about the tips both being easily removable and breaking down/not being harmful to tubes/wheels anyway.

bedmaker

The eBay ones up there are mackerel as opposed to anchovies

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The eBay ones up there are mackerel as opposed to anchovies

Yes, ordered both sorts and are going to be too large for anything but the biggest holes.

Haze

Anyone used these on road tubeless?

The ‘Racer’ looks good, but is there enough tyre volume for the Air version? Looks like the holes for the CO2 are located quite far up the nozzle.

Look like a good compact solution to cover all bases…

ontor
    Free Member

I have the purple one above and have used it 20 odd times. (Flint trails). It’s quick enough that i can fix the leak without losing any significant ammount of air. For me its not so much about saving time in a race but being quick enough to save some of the sealant for the rest of the long ride.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m astounded that this many years into the ‘tubeless Revolution’s so many people seem to be pretty unclear how to use a kit like this.

Still, what do I know?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’m astounded that this many years into the ‘tubeless Revolution’s so many people seem to be pretty unclear how to use a kit like this.

Didn’t know about them until recently In my years of tubeless riding I’m not completely sure it would actually have helped any of my flats (when I’ve put tubes in to get home). I’ve usually either burped the tyre and can’t get it to reinflate with a small pump or most recently it was a snakebite right by the bead that anchovies may or may not have helped.

The ‘big hole in the middle of the tread’ hasn’t really happened to me (but having see other people have it i’m now looking for the solution…

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Dynaplug tubeless repairs’ is closed to new replies.