Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dynamo set up for dark tow path commute
  • MoreCashThanDash

It’s that gloomy time of year approaching, so I’m keeping my spirits up by dreaming of bike purchases.

My commute is 12 miles each way, half in traffic and half on unlit towpaths. Previously I’ve used my MaxxD in winter, which is ok on the medium setting on the towpaths, but too bright really in traffic even eve on low due to tbe beam pattern.

Tempted by the idea of a dynamo set up but confused by the different hub and light combos. Would need a hub for a cx disc wheel, and a light that will give enough light for dark towpaths but have a better beam pattern for on the roads.

Any suggestions that won’t involve Father Christmas spitting her dummy out?

woody2000

Diffuser for your MaxxD?

Added bonus of making your light look like a weird sex toy 🙂

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/exposure-beacon-diffuser-cap/rp-prod56586

GregMay
    Free Member

Exposure Revo here – nearly a year of use. Love it, utterly fantastic light. I’ve the front wheel build up on a set of ZTR rims so I can pop them on the MTB as well.

willyboy
    Free Member

There is an article in the CTC mag ‘Cycle’ at the moment about lighting with a big bit about dynamo lighting.

Have a look on Spa cycles or St John st. Spa had some deals on wheels and lights if I remember correctly.

dknwhy

I’m waiting for my Magnic light to arrive. Hoping that it will be a cheap alternative to a dynamo for winter road riding.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

SP PD8 hubs don’t cost much more than a Hope Pro2 and a decent battery, and weigh similar too. I’ve got 2, one on the road/audax/commute bike, and a PD8X for winter duties on the mtb. Love them.

Splashed out on an Exposure Revo too, which is mega bright, but the lens isn’t focussed for road riding, you’re better off with a German light for that.

thomthumb
    Free Member

sp pd8 and B&M iq cyo here. The iQ cyo is bright enough for unlit country lanes at night. I have on occasion backed it up with a second light – but not really necessary.

The beam pattern is great on roads: lots of side visibility which my exposure lights don’t have.

MoreCashThanDash

It was the CTC mag article that got me thinking, and the deals on Spa’s advert. Just wondered what real people were using.

Thomthumb – your set up sounds like what I would need. What lumens/lux does the light put out?

Might give the diffuser idea a try at that price, big piece of tape on top to stop it dazzling me!

steezysix
    Free Member

If it’s mainly going to be a wheel for winter commuting, just get a cheap shimano hub and b&m light from Rose bikes. All the hubs put out enough power for bright lights, so you only need to spend more if you want it to be lighter weight. Get a light with about 60 lux and it’ll be plenty bright for commuting off road.

thomthumb
    Free Member

mine is a 60 lux version (i think there is a lower one).

I also saw they have a luxos in 90 lux.

I won’t be on the bike until friday – but i’ll try and get some pictures…

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I have been running an SP8 dyno on my commuter for a few years.

Initally with a homebuild light, but fed up with optics that waste half the light shining at the sky. So have just (yesterday) received a B&M cyo premium, 80lux from bike discount. was 45 notes.

not tested yet, but can report back in a couple of days.

tonyd

I’ve got a Shimano LX (I think) dyno hub with a B&M Cyo on the front and B&M toplight (?) on the back. You just run a cable from the front light to power the back. The hub has no problems running both.

As above, beam pattern on the B&M is good for road and the rear is nice and bright. Both dyno lights have a standlight too, a capacitor that holds a short charge so your lights don’t go out at traffic lights etc.

I’d be tempted to back it up with a joytick/diablo on the lid though if riding fast on unlit towpaths.

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks for the pointers and offers of pics.

Need to order something else from CRC anyway, might give the diffuser sextoy a try. As it were…..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dynamo set up for dark tow path commute’ is closed to new replies.