• This topic has 29 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by rt60.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • dynamo light and usb charger options ??
  • firestarter
    Free Member

Looking at a new bike that has the options of adding an edlux 11 light and a cinq 5 plug 3. Looks quality and a very tidy option for light and charge as i need . But appears no cache battery

Other cheaper option is a B + M Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U which a mate has without the usb bit and its a good light too. Plastic rather than metal but has a built in usb charge option. And a cache battery

My main concern is that the b and m option with bar switch and leads will clutter up the bars where as the other option is neat and compact but well over twice the price

robdob
    Free Member

Peterpoddy has one of those lights and I’ll direct him to here, mine has just arrived so no experience yet! Seems very well made to me..

robdob
    Free Member

Do you want off or on road or both? The B+M light is designed for road/path use.

firestarter
    Free Member

Both really as its gonna be an only and forever bike. Im all set on everything bar the light and charge options and the colour 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

Both are road lights so would need a helmet light or something to supplement offroad. The U might be the better as it has a turbo mode, not sure if that would help offorad?

You could look at the exposure Revo. Its better for offroad but not as good on, beam pattern is poor for on-road, red-eye rear light only (its good but short wire), very dull at low speeds compared to other two.

firestarter
    Free Member

It would defo be more road based at night but id need to know that during the day offroad jaunts arent gonna break it. But tbh its mainly roads/gravel/forest tracks and the like

johnnystorm

Have a Revo and Red-Eye on my commuter, pointed downwards I still get a decent spread of light and no complaints from other road users.

The cycle2charge device (german) seems to do the plug2/3 job for a fraction of the price. I think it’ll be my next purchase.

simonk
    Free Member

The Axa Luxx 70 plus is a good option for road use, the charger is built into the body of the lamp, we used them last easter during a short tour, it worked brilliantly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ghere’s a £25 USB charger on ebay I might try

Pickers

The Axa Luxx 70 plus is a good option for road use, the charger is built into the body of the lamp, we used them last easter during a short tour, it worked brilliantly.

I have one of these on my road going tourer, on road it works very well. Sturdy enough for chunks of the HTR while touring in Scotland last year without any issues.
    Offroad you’d need to supplement it with something like a Joystick for a broader range

robdob
    Free Member

The Luxus U has the advantage that it has everything you need in one well designed package. It has a great road light (not sure for off road) with the high/low/flash bar mounted switch, rear light monitoring, daylight sensing etc etc. The USB connection can be disconnected too. You can really fit and forget it.

Something you can use for everything will be compromised, you just have to decide what to compromise on! I think I’d rather have 2 bikes, a nice off road one and a road bike. The disciplines are generally very far apart and something in the middle might be a disappointment I reckon.

robdob
    Free Member

Sorry forgot to add that as lot of these USB add ons tend to be pretty ugly and I’m not sure how you mount them on the bike – The Plug is very neat but wow it’s expensive, the rest I’ve seen tend to be just plain boxes with wires coming out.

steezysix
    Free Member

I just got one of these as seen on the Bearbones site:

http://www.cycle2charge.de/

Not quite as neat as the Plug or Sinewave ones, but only about £50 inc postage from Germany. Easy enough to install and seems to work well, although I’ve only had it a few days so time will tell. Definitely more tidy than my old E-werk one!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The Luxos U is a very nice light. It’s not an off road light though. Compared side to side with an off road light your say it wasn’t very bright, but the beam pattern is astonishing. It’s literally like the dipped headlights on our car. There’s no wasted light, it ALL hits the floor. Also, it MUST be mounted on the fork crown. So it won’t fit a suspension fork. But as a pure road light I doubt it has an equal. I’ve mates mine to a Brake Plus rear light. The front light has a monitor light for the rear and of course I now have a brake light when I slow down! The USB charging works perfectly with my iPhone, as in it actually adds charge rather then simply keeping it topped up.

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers all i ordered the bike today and bit the bullet with the extras so ordered the edlux 2 and cinq 5 plug 3 . You only live once lol

oliverracing

I have used a basic shimano dynamo hub (3 Watt type) paired with a Kemo charger , Worked great and could charge gps and phone daily while on tour for 20 days, when used with a cache battery.

I’ve just got a SP PD-8 so will see how that fares as its over 300g lighter…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

What bike did. You go for Mick?
    I’ve missed a few threads I think..
    Also thinking of a USB plug/ dynamo for my Vaya.

firestarter
    Free Member

Nick a shand stoater. A late 40th 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

On my utility I run a Shimano hub and double wire the light with a B&M USB-WERK charger. The charger just O-ring clamps anywhere and I take it off when leaving the bike anywhere (it has a push-fit two part cable so the lower dynamo wire is undisturbed when removing). All works well enough for road use but no doubt you could do much better with a combo light/charger and low friction hub.

somafunk

You’ll be impressed with the light spread of the edlux 2, that’s what i have on my tripster, it’s certainly not up to the output of my 1200lumen led off road light but the spread is far better and i have never felt that i need more light on the road, the cinq5 usb charger is very neat but you can’t have the lights on and charge at the same time.

Can Shand machine a small hole in the fork leg to run the dynamo wires through? – that’d be very handy, you’ll need a piggyback spade connecter like this one to connect the two sets of wires to the son/schmidt dynamo hub

Quite happy with the both of mine and they cope fine with proper off road riding.

firestarter
    Free Member

Sound good. They are fitting light and charger and yes the fork will have internal wiring. I wasnt aware you couldn’t have light and charge tho all id read has said it works

somafunk

I can’t ride at any speed worth a **** these days so perhaps a normal rider may manage to have lights operating and charge at the same time but my average speed is below 10mph at the moment, just enough to get enough of a charge out of the Cinq5 for my iPhone but put me on any hill and it drops out, needless to say i’ve told my consultant at the spinal unit to get me fixed or find out what’s wrong asap.

firestarter
    Free Member

Hope you get sorted soon mate

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Cinq5 do a cache battery you can connect to the Plug III too, I’ve just bought one, not had a chance to use it yet though…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can Shand machine a small hole in the fork leg to run the dynamo wires through?

He already does. You van also get the drill & spray can out…

Also, it MUST be mounted on the fork crown.

How come? Surely you can make it fit somewhere?

tootallpaul

Otherwise the beam pattern won’t fall correctly.

kcr
    Free Member

I have a B+M light below my bars with a Schmidt clamp because my fork has no front crown mount, and that works OK.
    Available from SJS or the Germans.

cynic-al
    Free Member

tootallpaul – Member

Otherwise the beam pattern won’t fall correctly.[/quote]

So your bars are what 30-50% higher than your fork crown?

My guess is it will work fine and the world will not end.

scotroutes

Otherwise the beam pattern won’t fall correctly.[/quote]I assume it only works for one wheel size then. Where can I find a 27.5″ version?

rt60

I went out for my first ride with my Luxos last night. I completely agree with PeterPoddy, the light is very good. It takes women string used to after an MTB light as ther is no spot to it, it just lights the road for quite a way in front of you. There was quite a lot of moving the light up and down to get the right spread up the road, but once sorted it lights the rlad up ahead enough to see by in a very uniform way.

Overall very impressed with it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘dynamo light and usb charger options ??’ is closed to new replies.