Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Dynamo connectors and water
  • shermer75
    Free Member

I fitted my commuter with a dynamo hub (Shimano XT) and lights (B & M) today and I was a little surprised at how exposed the connections looked. I’ve wrapped some in electrical tape and I’m thinking of filling that little box that clicks onto the hub with grease. Has anybody got any real world experience on this? I’m worried that my amateurish attempts might make the situation worse by trapping the water in there or something…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Never had a problem with water ingress on my road bike or the MTB. Similar to you, I’ve wrapped the connector in insulating tape and its fine (SP Hub)

I have however this evening had a problem on the MTB – I got a branch caught in my front wheel. It not only pulled the connector off the hub, but it seems to have pulled the wires out of the connector too. Glad I had the helmet light for the ride home. Shouldn’t be too hard to fix it, but has anyone any suggestions for armouring the cable and connector for mtb use?

cannondaleking
    Free Member

If your concerned use silcone grease like molycote 111 rather than hub grease lol

kazafaza
    Free Member

SP Dynamo hubs here, no grease or tape for the last two years on my commuter and it’s still going strong! Well, now that’s a lie as the plastic connector has snapped but I guess I could have been more gentle with it…

shermer75
    Free Member

cannondaleking – Member
    If your concerned use silcone grease like molycote 111 rather than hub grease lol

Why’s that? Is regular grease going to short circuit maybe?

cannondaleking
    Free Member

It possibly could do, But molycoat 111 is waterproof and nonconductive and stays put pretty well but you shouldn’t need it on your connection there well sealed to the elements unless you submerge your wheel I doubt much will ever get in the connector. I work onshore offshore sometimes (when im skint) in high end submerged electronics camera/ROV systems and I use moly 111 smeared lightly on subconn’s and its enough to keep water out at up too 5km depth (I have the data and evidence before anyone starts) and the subconns are just push fit with locking nut pic’s of what a subconn is here http://macartney.com/subconn.

Any way after tangent if your worried put a small smear of 111 silicon grease on the inside of the connecter with a cotton bud but don’t pack it!!!! or when you connect it it will get squeezed out and go everywhere ps dont get it on your hands as it takes ages to wash off if you dont have any IPA (alcohol cleaner)

shermer75
    Free Member

Sounds like silicon grease is the stuff to have!! Thanks 🙂

Bez

Never added any form of protection to my Shimano connectors. I have them pointing at 10 o’clock as you look from the drive side, if that makes any difference, but they’ve been fine in all manner of weather for three years now. Of course, I may just be lucky and I’m only one anecdote.

avdave2

I’ve been commuting for 8 years with mine 6 of those years off road all through the year and never had a single issue.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve got a few years on a cheapo Shimano hub and B+M light with no tape, grease or similar. No issues.

shermer75
    Free Member

This is all interesting stuff. Sounds like I don’t need to worry about it too much!!

mugsys_m8

vaseline would be better than ‘normal’ grease.

shuhockey
    Free Member

I’m sure I read on a post in a previous thread that water only conducts electric above 30W/V not sure which? either way never had a problem all winter with snow and rain.

shermer75
    Free Member

vaseline would be better than ‘normal’ grease.

Why’s that? Vaseline might be slightly easier to get hold of…

shermer75
    Free Member

FYI this does not count as empirical evidence haha

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfpyoGFJNNE[/video]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Dynamo connectors and water’ is closed to new replies.