Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Dying to be a Youtube star?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Not the best thought out of plans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40438207

Perhaps a practice shot to see if the book could stop a round from a Desert Eagle would have been in order.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Was disappointed when it wasn’t Stampy Longnose.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Words fail me.

matt_outandabout

‘mericans and guns. Words just fail me.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I hope at least that it was a hardback.

Harry_the_Spider

I hope at least that it was a hardback.

Encyclopedia apparently.

I’d want to be hiding behind a “Full Britanica” myself.

There’s clearly didn’t go up to G for Gun.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D2QrT7yYYE[/video]

cranberry
    Free Member

No Darwin Award as they have already passed their stupid on to the next generation.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Apparently he had already tested his plan and the book stopped the bullet….first time! She obviously pulled the trigger harder the second time! 😮

All a bit tragic really! 😕

alpin
    Free Member

what book weas it?

“eats shoots and leaves”?

richmtb

a .50 calibre Desert Eagle! The book wouldn’t even have slowed it down.

Onzadog
    Free Member

From 30cm?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Assuming friction is negligible that pistol round generates enough energy to move a one pound weight over 1,800 feet.

I assume Mensa don’t have their headquarters in Minnesota?

neilthewheel

You have to use a bible.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

The muzzle energy from a .50 cal Desert Eagle at 30cm? it’s just plain stupid to think a book could stop that…….3 inch plate steel most likely would be a better defence.

Thing is, these morons have kids!!!!! two things they should maybe bring in licences for in the US

dannyh
    Free Member

Death by Natural Selection.

BillMC

A .50 cal has the same sort of bang and force as a magnum and that is like letting off a cannon and blowing your ears out at the same time. At least it would have been quick. I think these sort of guns were developed with the capacity in mind of stopping vehicles ffs.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Jeez – he missed a trick….

Harry_the_Spider

That would have just left a book shaped hole in him.

Mister-P
    Free Member

It made me think of this scene (warning – sweary and not safe for work)

[video]https://youtu.be/LgBA1jA2-mo[/video]

km79
    Free Member

alpin – Member

what book weas it?

“eats shoots and leaves”? 😆

Onzadog
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    That would have just left a book shaped hole in him.

Good point. Even if the book had stopped the round, with that force at that range, the book might still have killed him.

Almost tempted to crunch the numbers.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Boys… the book isn’t actually made of hard materials. There’d be no book shaped hole. Onza – no point doing the math(s).

😉

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Maybe the stupid will skip a generation.

From around the web:

These .50 caliber pistol bullets weigh 325 grains, travel at 1,400 feet-per-second, and leave the barrel with 1,500 foot-pounds of force.

it’s likely that conventional Level 4 bullet resistant glass would stop a standard or Magnum .50 cal bullet.

I struck out trying to dig up exactly how thick steel plate would need to be, but about an inch thick seems to be quoted for level 4.

so, one inch of steel plate? or, a book? Made of paper?

fooman

If social media has taught me anything, it’s that you need an iPhone, not a book, to stop a modern bullet.

scud
    Free Member

Stupid is as stupid does…

Harry_the_Spider

Boys… the book isn’t actually made of hard materials. There’d be no book shaped hole. Onza – no point doing the math(s).

I know there wouldn’t really be a book shaped hole, but even if it had stopped the bullet he would have taken a significant blow to the rib cage by something the size of a small paving slab. Only last week that girl in France died when a whipped cream maker blew off into her ribs.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/22/french-fitness-blogger-dies-after-whipped-cream-dispenser-exploded-rebecca-burger

Having quite recently taken a big punch, through a pad the size of a large book, to the ribs I can confirm that it hurts like hell, and that was just a fat bloke doing a reverse punch.

zippykona

I saw on telly a bloke get shot in a bullet proof vest. It sent him flying and broke a rib.
    Obviously needed a book as well.

cranberry
    Free Member

There’d be no book shaped hole.

You need a refresher course in:

tang
    Free Member

Words failed him.

SaxonRider

It says something about their callous disregard for the value of books as well!

EDIT:

Words failed him.

😀

nickc

How come none of their neighbours thought it might be worth having a word? They can’t all be as thick as a…book?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Apparently he had already tested his plan and the book stopped the bullet….first time!

I assume he missed the book completely.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Todays winners of the internet are:

This:

Words failed him.

and this:

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I’m probably a terrible person, but the morbid part of me kinda wants to see the video

The lengths people will go to to be internet famous astounds me……well, they go their wish I suppose

Duffer
    Free Member

Good point. Even if the book had stopped the round, with that force at that range, the book might still have killed him.

Almost tempted to crunch the numbers.

As I understand, the energy in the round would be equal and opposite to the recoil energy put back into the weapon. So I can’t imagine it’d have too much effect, even if the book would have stopped it dead (it would still be a shock, clearly).

Happy to be proved wrong if someone knows about the physics!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Words failed him.

chapeau

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As I understand, the energy in the round would be equal and opposite to the recoil energy put back into the weapon. So I can’t imagine it’d have too much effect, even if the book would have stopped it dead (it would still be a shock, clearly).

energy = force x distance.

So the force to stop a bullet (in the thickness of a book) is higher than the force to accelerate it (the length of the barrel) assuming the velocity doesn’t peak until the bullet leaves the barrel.

MrSmith
    Free Member

A .50 cal has the same sort of bang and force as a magnum

i do like a bit of misinformed internet gun cock talk, its up there with porsche v ferrari banter from lukewarm saloon owners who work in call centres.

unless you can back that up with a bit of reloader chat about what primer seating tool, how often you neck down your cases and ohlins v redding you just look like somebody who knows nothing and has never fired a pistol ( a real one pre U.K. banning)

rene59
    Free Member

^Is your lover MrWesson?

binners

Now, now boys. There’s only one way to settle this….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzbcAem4bN8[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Dying to be a Youtube star?’ is closed to new replies.