Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Dying glaciers.
  • globalti
    Free Member
    dazh

Obviously they’re fakes 🙄

crikey
    Free Member

Dying?

Changing for sure, but the world will change and we will be better equipped to deal with and slow or prevent that change if we don’t anthropomorphise it.

Stoner
    Free Member

the little ice age only ended in 1870

there’s possibly/probably* anthro climate change but there’s also underlying shifts too.

*nail your flag to whichever mast you like

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Yeah, just because you change the volume, pressure or composition of a gas or mixture of gasses it doesn’t mean there’s any kind of law stating you’ll change its properties now, is there?

slowoldman

See these stairs?

That’s 150m up to the Konkordia Hut from the Aletsch Glacier.

The hut was built in 1877 50m above the glacier.

revs1972
    Free Member

Now that is what you call a staircase.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes sad times. Even at my age I can remember the Glaciers being larger 35 years ago. Tirent in the summer now isn’t really a glacier, its just a sunny hillside. Verbier stopped summer skiing some time ago as ice pack too unstable now.

crikey
    Free Member

Aww, but you’ll all put your central heating on instead of a jumper, and drive and fly and eat peas flown in from Kenya in December, right?

Klunk
    Free Member

Dying?

4. drawing to a close; ending:

crikey
    Free Member

Pedantry; not that effective at preventing the change in glaciers really, is it?

Klunk
    Free Member

you asked the question.

Klunk
    Free Member

chimps can be anthropomorphized, dying glaciers not so much.

crikey
    Free Member

Hence my original comment.

You seem to be shooting yourself in the foot. Put the gun down and limp away.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just stayed at Glacier Basin campground in the Rocky Mountains, here:

I initially scoffed at the idea that those patches of snow could be called glaciers, until someone pointed out that they used to be decent sized alpine glaciers when the national park was founded in the 30s.

djglover
    Free Member

Cool, let’s all fly out to see a dying glacier.

nuke

Was at the Mer de Glace near Chamonix this Summer…not dissimilar staircase to the one shown above and, as you walk the staircase, there’s little plaques showing the height and year; it was quite a shock to see the speed of the reduction in height from only 1985 🙁

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Its alright its only malenkovitc cycles, oh no theyve modelled that.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

El nino ? Oh, modelled that.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Atlantic multidecadal cycle, modelled that.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Daansgard-Oescheger cycles – oh no, modelled that

thestabiliser
    Free Member

‘Common sense’ – no modelled lling that shit brah, u eivah got or u dunt.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Indeed @nuke that was one of the places I was referring to having seen first hand the retreat since ’79

jonba
    Free Member

There are a handful that are still growing. Maybe Iceland and Newzealand as it is ones ive been on. Most are retreating though. Lots of people measurements them and student. Iirc it is unusual in the gran shame of things for them to even exist?

wilburt
    Free Member

Air, Sea and Land, we have **** it all in the last 30 years hope our kids do
    a little better.

anagallis_arvensis

there’s possibly/probably/almost certainly

FIFY

anagallis_arvensis

There are a handful that are still growing. Maybe Iceland and Newzealand

I believe that NZ’s glaciers like Fox advanced a bit about 20yrs ago but over the last 100yrs have retreated quite a lot overall and are retreating now. Certainly the telly prog I watched recently showed retreating glaciers.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Dying glaciers.’ is closed to new replies.