Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Dyfi Enduro with flat pedals?
  • paulevans
    Free Member

I’ve got a place for this years Dyfi Enduro. For as long as I can remember I’ve always used spds but following a skills day with Ed the Beard I’ve just started to give flats a go. To be honest I’m just about to start to give them a go!

Should I stick with spds or will there be any benefit to going “flats”?

northerntom
    Free Member

Ive recenty started riding clipped in more, and now do it for road, dh racing and enduro racing, can’t fault it.

the only time i would ever switch back would be if i was spending a day sessioning small parts of tracks, where clipping in and out is a hassle.

im also doing the dyfi enduro anyway, and will definetly be riding clipped in.

singlespeedstu

The Dyfi is all about the weekend/beer tent so unless you want to bore anyone to death just turn up and enjoy the weekend for what it is.

Trekster

following a skills day with Ed the Beard I’ve just started to give flats a go. To be honest I’m just about to start to give them a go!

Curious but why?

dan45a
    Free Member

Dyfi is a long ride and not that technical. Use spds for the pedaling efficiency. Excellent event, enjoy.

iolo
    Free Member

Use whatever you feel happiest in.
    There’s a lot of climbing and steep fun descents.
    It’s great fun.

singlespeedstu

steep fun descents.

Fun yes.
    Steep? No.

iolo
    Free Member

What I mean is their over too quickly. Then the next grind. The climbs are fun too though.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Steep? No.

Depends what bike you’re on, shirley? My 1st time down the WC descent I about shat myself 🙂 Since then, on a more compliant bike it’s been much more entertaining.

The climbs are fun too though

Some people enjoy themsleves in weird ways :mrgreen:

acidchunks

Paul,
    I’d suggest sticking with your SPDs, there’s no benefit in changing to flats for the Dyfi course.

singlespeedstu

Depends what bike you’re on, shirley? My 1st time down the WC descent I about shat myself

Dyfi 2010 SS hardtail with 80mm fork that didn’t work very well.
    Steep? I think not. 🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUtSJTIUkMc[/video]

RobHilton
    Free Member

I *knew* you were gonna post that^ Only cos I’ve seen it before 🙂

You ARE my hero you know xx

Edit: Incidentally… care to share your ratio? I did my 1st event SS today (HONC) and didn’t die; am pondering doing likewise for the Dyfi, but think it might do for me at 58 inches. Do you use the same ratio wherever you ride?

iolo
    Free Member

On that section you have to have eyes in your arse as you can’t see the pedestrians walking with their Santa Cruz/On One whatever down the hill and is easy to wipe out. I do love the way it flows and the little launches at the top.

singlespeedstu

Rob 32:18 on a 29er and yes i don’t change gears it is a singlespeed afterall.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Ta. I’ve just gone down from 41:15 to 34:15 (26″) as I’m not in the flatlands any more. Attempting climbing in that would most certainly have given me rectal prolapse 🙂

Metasequoia

I tonight they were steep and technical for me. The World Cup descent isn’t exactly a gentle down hill and some of the off camber slate stuff is tricky.

paulevans
    Free Member

Concensus would seem to be spds then so I shall bow to those with greater knowledge and whip off the Vaults and save them for some of the fun stuff up here in the Lakes.

Thanks all and no doubt will probably ride/walk straight past some of you on the day without even knowing it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Dyfi Enduro with flat pedals?’ is closed to new replies.