• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Dyfi Enduro Alternatives
  • Burchy1
    Free Member

I’ve done the Dyfi for the last three years but have to go to a wedding that weekend this year 😥

Can anyone recommend an enduro i should enter solo which comes close for atmosphere, trails etc

Oh and i know i could MTFU, not go, make them move the date its only a wedding etc etc.

grahamh
    Free Member

Marin Rough Ride

fbk
    Free Member

2nd the Roughride – real nice chilled atmosphere and some good open riding (very different terrain to the Dyfi though).

The Newnham 90 last year was fairly relaxed and the Merida rides are normally a good laugh too – new venues this year!

Del

put your foot down!

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Brecon Beast was enjoyable enough last year…bit too much road work for me but everyone I was there with really enjoyed it, some more than Dyfi (which I can’t understand).

mtbmatt
    Free Member

The Rough Ride is nothing like the Dyfi, although it is a good one.

Dyfi – Steep, slated, forestry descents with easy gradient climbing.
    Rough Ride – Open moorland with fast, non-technical descents and some killer climbs.

The Beast is OK, but lots of road. The Brechfa enduro is good, using the man-made trails in the forest but also some other bits. To be honest there isn’t really anything like the Dyfi. Not anymore anyway, if the Blackmill Ratrun comes back, then thats the closest thing.

franki
    Free Member

I’d recommend the Rough Ride.
    It’s more like old-skool mtbing, but it’s great fun, the atmosphere is spot-on and the long route is bloody hard!

peteimpreza

The Rough Ride is not a suitable alternative to the Dyfi IMHO.

The RR is well organised and does have a great atmosphere.

However, and it is a big however, the course is tame compared to the Dyfi, offering little or no technical challenge. In fact I would go as far as to say I have never been so bored on a bike.

I am more than a little annoyed at not being able to do the Dyfi this year but once was more than enough for the RR. Never again.

richc
    Free Member

Don’t do the rough ride if you want a mountain bike ride, as its a non technical slog over moorlands, very very dull. Only course duller I’ve done would be the Builth Wells Merida

Exmoor explorer is worth a look, but the tracks aren’t as hard/fun as the Dyfi which is pretty unique.

The Rat run if it comes back, was a bit like the Dyfi on steroids with a bit of PCP problem, it was very hard in terms of distance/endurance and difficulty of the tracks, god knows how many people hurt themselves but I should imagine it was quite a lot.

Burchy1
    Free Member

cheers for the comments everyone

think i’ll look into the Brechfa one. Anyone do the Kona Mash Up at Afan this year? as that looked interesting aswell.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Ye, did the mashup, worth a look for something a bit different.

Jimbo
    Free Member

Whilst I’ve not done it, Isle of Man End2End a possibility?

fbk
    Free Member

We’ve entered the Kielder Avalanche Enduro this year too. It got some great write ups last year and the format looks interesting – a chilled out enduro with timed DH sections.

Not sure how full it gets though

richc
    Free Member

The Kielder and Brefcha do look interesting, hmmmm need to check my diary

richc
    Free Member

anyone got any pictures of the trails at Kielder?

fbk
    Free Member

richc – I know there’s a video of last years event floating around somewhere – part of a series on the Extreme Sports channel.

Possibley on Youtube?

richc
    Free Member

cool, I will look for them as I quite fancy doing something a bit different. Do you reckon it would be OK on a HT?

brownpants
    Free Member

Not if you read between the lines – Full DH not the bike of choice – would suggest FS I reckon

fbk
    Free Member

Yeah – the info on the website recommends a “light weight endurance bike” with 5″ travel, whatever that means! I’m sure you could do it on a HT and have just as much fun. Just be a bit slower assuming they’ve put some proper rocks in 😉

Not quite sure what to expect but it sounds fun.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Dyfi Enduro Alternatives’ is closed to new replies.