Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • DX light – the new one – have I fried my battery?!
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Just wondering if any of the soldering / lighting experts could help me out. Ordered and received a bastid light and plugged it in to charge tonight.

The battery has a touch sensitive switch at the rear which gives a readout of battery power. Since plugging it in to charge, the readout no longer lights up but the battery still powers the light.

The charger came with a US plug, so I used a travel adaptor to make it fit a UK 3-pin plug. I pinched the adaptor from a camera charger.

The camera battery charger has an input of 100-240V and an output of 4.2V

The light charger has the same input, but an output of 8.5V.

The adaptor itself just says 250V and nothing else….

So have I fried my battery?

😳

stuey
    Free Member

If I’m reading right – you didn’t use a different charger – just an adapter socket/travel adapter so you haven’t changed the any voltages / cooked the battery.

The Voltage monitor should come on when you plug in a lamp too – sounds like a ‘return’ – sorry

Try wiping the ‘touch switch’ – make sure its not damp?

user-removed
    Free Member

Stuey – you are reading right – I’m using the supplied charger with a travel adaptor of dubious origin. I also wondered if perhaps the battery is merrily discharching instead of charging?

I’ll give it an hour or so, try wiping the switch then get in touch with DX. Peeved as it took nearly a month to arrive.

Jamie
    Free Member

Using a travel adapter with mine with no probs yet. Charger light has gone from red>green to red>green>off now for some reason tho.

stuey
    Free Member

iirc – battery should arrive with at least 50% charge on it – if it didn’t it may be doa – shouldn’t take more than 3 hours to get a full charge (1.8A at 8.5volts) the charger leds often ‘lie’ red/green – if the light is still working – must be faulty read out LCD?

user-removed
    Free Member

Hmmm. My charger is red until I unplug it from the wall but it goes green when unplugged (but still plugged into the light). I suppose the truth will out when I first use the light and see if the battery is fully charged up or not. Blooming aggravating 🙁

EDIT: stuey – yes, the battery came showing three quarter full charge (the readout was working then!) so I may just have to learn to live without the readout…

stuey
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound good – DX have been know to send out replacements without receiving returns first – good luck.

user-removed
    Free Member

Ah! Has started working again! Plugged the battery into the light, checked the two modes, sighed and plugged it back into the charger. I must have brushed the ‘touch-switch’ with my finger as it lit up and is currently displaying full battery and ‘7.8V’….

Odd. Thanks for the moral support!

liquid1000
    Free Member

running mine witha travel adapter, charger lights goes red/green when fully charged.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘DX light – the new one – have I fried my battery?!’ is closed to new replies.