Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • DX Light a few pics,soz
  • postierich
    Free Member

Just got round to fitting the light and I am pleasently surprised @ the quality,weight and beam.
    Piece of cake to fit and adjust no faff.The green light is a tad distracting but I,m sure I will get use to it.

DickBarton

Looks fine, housing looks very similar to the Lupine Tesla housing…

duckers
    Free Member

Is that the battery bag thats supplied with the light?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    postierich
    Free Member

It is the battery bag there seemed to be a strap missing but I,ve sorted that. 90mm stem by the way fits very nicely.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Cool, mines on the way.

markenduro
    Free Member

Looks good for the money. Just be a bit careful where the bag is rubbing on the headset, it will wear the ano off it, if that sort of thing bothers you…

postierich
    Free Member

The goal post is about 100 metres away btw sorry about the camera shake!

Chris-S
    Free Member

Mine came without a strap for the battery bag aswell – I don't think there is one. But its not too difficult to find something strap the buckles together and also make the bag more secure to the stem.

grumm
    Free Member

Mine was missing the strap too – got a lumicycle bag that someone linked to instead which is pretty nice quality compared to the DX one.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I'm not sure there's a strap missing – IIRC, you loop one of the rectangular plastic bits through the other bit as a failsafe – it's the velcro that actually holds it on (or at least that was how it was explained to me by someone wiser than I on here when I got mine a few months back.)

Does anyone know if the green light changes colour as the charge drops? I've not gone far / long enough yet to see…

ronjeremy
    Free Member

do you have the link for the light as i think i might have to treat myself, been umming and erring about it for a while and my old vistas are close to dying and it is getting darker

gonetothehills
    Free Member

clicky

it's excellent – well worth a punt.

duckers
    Free Member

I've got a computer on my stem so it's gonna have to fit elsewhere, I was planning to give the battery pack itself a good wrapping in some kind of waterproof plastic before I used it as well, I was thinking a couple of coin bags wrapped up well with cellotape or packing tape.. have you guys took any extra precautions?

I am hoping mine will turn up tomorrow…..

grumm
    Free Member

My stem is too short so I was thinking of mounting the battery under the downtube.

By the way I suspect the fact that it is now saying 'back ordered' on the deal extreme page means it might take quite a while to get delivered. Mine took about 3 weeks and I think it said it was in stock when I ordered. Could be wrong though.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I've always mounted my battery at the rear of the top tube – just in front of the seat tube. On the Inbred it sits against one of the cable stops quite nicely, but on the Anthem X, because of the triangular shaped tube, it's not such a great fit. Still works fine though. I think I did it because I couldn't be arsed winding all the (long) cable around stuff, and my old Hope lights that I use on the winter bike have never sat too comfortably velcroed somewhere around the stem (it changes every time I take the Hope battery pack off and put it back on).

The battery on the DX is relatively light, there's loads of velcro on the flap and like I say, I do think those two black plastic rectangular loops are the failsafe. I just spiral the cable once around the top tube to take up the slack. So saying, I've not put it on the carbon road bike yet for fear of scratching it…

postierich
    Free Member

Good point about the bag on the headset will probably move to the frame.

scruff
    Free Member

Rich what do you think of mounting the Chinese light on a helmet? Is it heavy, how longs the cable?

robbo1234biking

Mine has moved to packaging now so hopefully not too much longer!!! I was planning on helmet mounting mine too

singletracksurfer

mine was missing the strap (to fix the battery to the frame) to.
    bit of an arse and DX are very hard to get hold of.

Great little light tho.

doh
    Free Member

the setup is a wee bit heavy for helmet mount unless you have a very snug helmet it will flop about a bit. managed to get an extension cable and will be putting the battery pack in my backpack for the next ride.

postierich
    Free Member

Scruff the light and battery are very light would be ideal for a helmet option.

Rich

Dobbo

Very tempted, just need to get my ar3e in gear to buy some then to use them!

Nice one Rich for sharing you experiences.

duckers
    Free Member

Its here! Yes!! First impressions, well made, bright, beamshots and photos on here dont do it justice, I would expect to pay double. Battery is not well sealed at all an I would say this is where the cost has been cut, soon fixed that up with a big lump of cling film, a coin bag and cellotape!!! theres no water getting in that bugger now!!

The battery was charged from the the box but not fully so I plugged it in to charge (wanted to test the charger anyway), and it went red, which is charging right? so I'll let it charge tonight and maybe fix it on tomorrow and go for a little test ride before the weekend.

One thing I have noticed is the lack of green tint (as mentioned on the earlier models), mine looks pretty white, whats your thoughts, maybe they have changed the emitter bin?

windowshopper
    Free Member

you loop one of the rectangular plastic bits through the other bit as a failsafe – it's the velcro that actually holds it on

…unless you buy the one with the helmet mount, then you get a battery bag with a press-stud fastener that doesn't have enough room to get round the top tube and no rectangular plastic bits to loop anything through either. Pretty pi55ed off at that to be honest as the website shows the other version which I had seen and was happy with. Can't imagine them swapping it though.

roughneck
    Free Member

Are we still looking at 3 weeks for delivery. orded mine on the 8th but had no conformation email.

chilli
    Free Member

The bags cheap crap anyway,get a lumicycle elite bag £4.98 direct from them with free postage,just right size and a quality piece of kit.

robbo1234biking

roughneck – ordered mine end of Sept nad just gone to packaging so guess it will be 3 weeks!

Does it come with a UK adaptor or do we need a US adaptor for the UK anyone? Cheers!

roughneck
    Free Member

should be ok with the adaptor i have the one from my p7 torch

epicsteve
    Free Member

It doesn't need a voltage adaptor so a cheap shaving socket one will do. I'm using one from Maplin that was under £3 but I think they can be had cheaper from the supermarkets.

devs
    Free Member

I've just ordered the Lumi bag. I got the helmet mount DX Bastid but haven't used it on the trails yet. The supplied bag clips perfectly onto my camelbak shoulder strap and some artistic tywrapping has the helmet mount and cable sorted. Just been in the garden to test against my Hope Vision 4. Together there will be undergrowth spontaneously combusting. The hotspot on the bastid makes it a good helmet light and it shows up well against the flood of the Hope. If I can remember and be arsed I'll take some beamshots soon but to be honest I'll probably just go and enjoy riding instead.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Just about to buy one of these as a spare in the unlikely event my Ay-Ups go wrong (doh! said it now!)
    Am I likely to get hit with customs charges?

Cheers

Paul.

devs
    Free Member

Don't know anyone who has. You might find that your bat mounted Ay Ups become your spares!

dogmatix

does anyone know how long the connecting cable is on this bar mounted light? Thinking of getting one but want to helmet mount it and slip the battery into the top pocket of my back pack… think it would need to be about 2ft long.

delusional
    Free Member

Dogmatix: that should be fine. Mine is long enough for the cable to reach from the light on the bars to the battery back on the back of the top tube. It actually lives further forwards towards the head tube, but only because it risks fouling the rear suspension at the back.

I'm curious if anyone knows where a spare battery pack can be had for this without any soldering skills being required. I've been hunting around a bit but not found any information as yet, and 3 hours is cutting it a little fine in some circumstances.

dogmatix

brilliant cheers, think im gonna have to order one… wonder if the express delivery really makes any difference.

footflaps

Here are some shots comparing the DX 900 Lumen Bike Light with the Lupine Edison 5 and Wilma 4:

All taken using the same photo settings eg exposure etc

Lupine Wilma 5 (12W LED)

Lupine Edison 5 (16W HID)

Deal Extreme 900 Lumen Bike Light

Not bad for when you consider the DX light cost £50 whereas the Wilma 4 was £450 and the Edison 5 was £550!

duckers
    Free Member

Been out with mine tonight, its bright enough to ride off road at a decent speed; I was doing up to 25mph at some points and it was good enough, dont know how if it would be bright enough for 40mph offroad downhills but I dont do that crazy shit in the dark anyway. Also has a very good beam spread that makes its good for steep offroad climbs.

soops
    Free Member

Mine is on its way.
    Just hope Royal Mail forget the strike to deliver my light!
    😉

Pippalarge
    Free Member

My light with helmet mount turned up today (5 weeks) – looks good.

Anyone know where I can get an extension cable? As supplied it's not quite got enough cable to let me put the battery in my backpack.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

You could make one yourself with bits from Maplin (2.1 / 5.5mm DC plug and socket) or someone one here got one of these (which works out cheaper):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-5M-2-1mm-DC-POWER-EXTENSION-CABLE-LEAD-CCTV-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ170388377895QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CCTV?hash=item27abf05127#ht_2091wt_1165

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘DX Light a few pics,soz’ is closed to new replies.