Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)
  • DX jawbone style glasses – compatibility with genuine jawbones?
  • russjp
    Free Member

Without putting them next to some genuine ones its hard to say, but people at work were fooled into think they were real fairly easily

clubber
    Free Member

I’ll report once I get mine – I have genuine ones to compare against. I’m interested to see if they’re the same (eg out of the same factory) or just a reasonable copy. I suspect the latter but who knows. I’ve noticed already that the screw that holds the jawbone pivot in is different (genuine ones have a torx bolt, the DX ones seen to have a small phillips screw).

TomHill
    Free Member

I’m the same. Paid on the 19th. Status still says “order confirmed” 🙁

lipseal
    Free Member

I’ve got a green/black and white sets on order. 8)

lipseal
    Free Member

Looks like bigger vent holes in the DX ones, or is it the way the pictures been taken?

kimbers

mcboo – Member
    I actually met one of the senior managers of the Italian company that owns Oakley a couple of weeks ago. They are a fantastic family owned business who invest an enormous amount in R&D in Europe and the US. I know nobody gives a sh1t about anything anymore but buying crappy Chinese rip-offs hurts decent businesses and their employees.
    )

hmm really? there was a series about brands on bbc3 a while back, the factory that makes oakleys also makes a ton of other posh and not so posh glasses, they just programme in different specs (boom-tish) / tooling for the different brands, same production lines
    but designed in the USA etc?
    -nope designed by the same people as all the others in an admittedly sealed off section of the factory, it was in taiwan i think

speaker2animals

Well there you go. I’d decided to cancel my order as I didn’t like how the status was just sitting at paid. If it had at least been moved to “processing” I’d have been happier or if they had emailed to say Out of Stock order will be fulfilled on re-stock but nowt.

So turn on laptop, open emails before anything else and would you not know it email to say most of order has shipped.

I’ll report on landing.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    For prescription lenses for Jawbone check out cilliary blue.They made me two sets of prescription lenses,one set clear,one set dark for a total cost of £80! Bargain! Oakley were trying 2 charge me £160 for one set.They make all different lenses 2! Highly recommended!
    Thanx Max

russjp
    Free Member

My DX copy split jackets have an anodised blue (to match colour scheme) torx screw like the pic of the genuine ones picture above, have fooled everybody who have seen them so far 🙂

speaker2animals

Looking at customer pics of the various “jawbones” on DX site it appears very random. Some have the Torx screw others a Phillips. I suspect it’s whatever is to hand at the time.

njee20
    Free Member

Pukka ones are never anodised though are they, irrespective of colour scheme it’s always a silver screw on all the ones I’ve seen.

speaker2animals

well my first set of Faux-kleys arrived this AM. Ordered 17/3 arrived 16/4. Bit of a wait but hey.

Looks wise – certainly a massive improvement over the knock off you used to see on Oxford St/holiday resort stalls. Never actually seen Jawbones other than in display cabinets but look like the real ting! This 1st set to arrive are black frames with red pivot and ear socks. Screw is natural finish torx screw.

Very pleased with them so far but I do feel a little dirty. I’m a bit of a sado stickler to the rules type but sometimes even I will fight the power and do something anarchic!

clubber
    Free Member

Mine arrived today – so that’s essentially a month from ordering. From a distance (eg for anyone looking at them on someone wearing them) I don’t think you could spot them as fakes.

Close up they’re more plasticy in feel and the non-visible edges definitely aren’t as neat (eg under the nose contact points when they’re flipped up) but they’re not bad especially considering the price. I’d say they’re similar quality to what you’d be ok getting for £30-£40 otherwise but look better. The nose contact points aren’t quite the same as genuine ones but again, similar enough to not be obvious.

pics below – the main thing that’s not quite right is that one of the Oakley “O”s on the arm has paint that goes beyond the “O” (you can see it on the last pic)

The lenses seem ok – no obvious distortion but since I plan on fitting genuine oakley lenses that’s not really something I’m too interested in. They come with: gold vented, yellow vented, grey (possibly mirrored) non-vented.

Oh, the jawbone pivot has a torx bolt like the genuine ones.

chrisdw
    Free Member

The iridum-esque lenses that came with mine are really terrible. The colour changes pretty dramatically towards the edge of the lense. The other 2 lenses (yellow and plain grey) seem to be okay. I imagine I will end up using the yellow lenses most of time. Frames seem pretty good tho.

clubber
    Free Member

I guess that’s cheap glasses – poor consistency – the ‘iridium’ lenses on mine are fine – no colour change like you’re describing. Maybe buy two pairs to increase your chances of a good set 🙂

chrisdw
    Free Member

I bought 3 😛

clubber
    Free Member

I drove home in them and I’m still alive so I guess they’re OK 😀

further observations :

– The gold lenses are slightly yellower in the middle and bluer at the edges. not really noticeable unless you’re looking for it but it is there. The very edge is also purpley. Again you’d only notice if looking for it.

– compared to a genuine jawbone, flicking the glasses into and out of line of sight, the movement/distortion is approx double on the fakes. That sounds bad but again, I didn’t notice it while driving and since the genuine ones distort very little, it’s still quite small.

– Genuine lenses only just fit in the fake frames. The genuine lenses are a fraction bigger and it’s quite a squeeze to get them into the fakes and there is a 1mm ish gap once closed. There’s no noticeable extra distortion though compared to the genuine frame. if you bought the fakes and a set of genuine lenses (40ish quid on classifieds) you could easily enough gently file them to fit properly though.

– you can’t undo the “jawbone” on the genuine frame – or at least on mine as unscrewing the torx bolt broke it… superglue to the rescue 😕

so in summary the fakes are great for the money but don’t imagine that they’re the same as genuine ones.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Clubber,

Good update on the glasses. Where is the original lens bigger? Is it in its depth or width? Would you be able to post some pics to show the 1mm gap?

Thanks

BadlyWiredDog

Would you all buy a fake Ibis Mojo frame as well?

freeagent
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog – Member

What a totally dumb comparison – fake Oakleys are not going to colapse while i’m riding them…

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog,

God no, wouldn’t even buy an original one, hideous looking frame!

muddyfunster
    Free Member

I got my fakely split jackets last week. Pretty disappointed really, but I guess you get what you pay for. They are pretty shoddy quality tructh be told. the yellow lens is pretty good, as is the greyish tint but the redish/orange one is pretty awful.

The fake jawbones I’ve seen are of slightly higher quality than my split jackets, but even they are quite obvious fakes if you know what to look for. I wonder if I just got a duff pair or if the splitjackets are just not as good.

BadlyWiredDog

What a totally dumb comparison – fake Oakleys are not going to colapse while i’m riding them…

You misunderstand me. I’m not having a crack at anyone, I’m just intrigued about what it all says about branding and perceived values. But thanks for the gratuitous abuse anyway.

How about a fake Tag Heuer then?

I’m just kind of intrigued that somehow these things looking like Oakleys makes them more desirable than budget shades that are probably as well or better specced. Is it just the novelty thing of them looking to all intents and purposes like Oakleys? I guess I don’t quite understand it.

clubber
    Free Member

I like Oakley styling. I’ve never paid full price for any of mine over the years but I’ve certainly spent a fair bit over the years.

these fakelys have the style without the price. I don’t think I’d have them as my only glasses but as spares or alternatives they seem fine.

to the previous question, genuine lenses are approx 1mm taller meaning the jawboned are really tight to lock in place.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Same people who buy fake Oakley’s probably buy pirate dvd’s & blurays yet find a way to justify it 🙄

fairhurst
    Free Member

safety glasses are great from builders merchants etc,they come with different lenses.superb!

carbon337
    Free Member

safety glasses are great from builders merchants etc,they come with different lenses.superb!

But make you look an idiot.

😉

Had 6 pairs of Oakleys in the past – still got some flak XLJ – picked a set of these up to see what they are like. If they are decent I will get some more. Dont you think the cheapo safety glasses will be made using the same child labour?

Will get some frokskin copies and Radar copies.

BadlyWiredDog

So it’s all a style thing then? People just want to look like they’re wearing Oakleys?

carbon337
    Free Member

pretty much

Gribs

Same people who buy fake Oakley’s probably buy pirate dvd’s & blurays yet find a way to justify it

Only idiots buy pirate dvd’s. Why would you pay when you can download it for free?

clubber
    Free Member

in a sense but more to the point, something that has Oakley styling. I couldn’t care less if it was clear that they were fakes.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog
    So it’s all a style thing then? People just want to look like they’re wearing Oakleys?

I needed a new pair of glasses for the bike. My last glasses cost £80 and have lasted well, I’ve got some casual oakleys and really like them.

At the minute I can’t really afford to spend another £80 but I figured the shape of the oakleys would be good for the bike, nice and secure, good fit, and I could stick some genuine oakley lenses in them and get the excellent optical quality of oakleys all for about £45 as opposed to £145 – £235.

As it’s turned out the quality of the ones I got is disappointing and I’m not sure they are worth putting decent lenses in. I’ll keep these for the bike and save my pennies till I can afford the real thing.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I’ve spent a lot of cash over the years on Oakleys (never paid full RRP), and I’ll continue to buy them as they are the best sunglasses out there by far IMO.

However I’m tempted by these Fakelys to wear off road where I wouldn’t worry about them getting covered in mud and sh!te, unlike a £100+ pair of genuine Oakleys.

freeagent
    Free Member

You misunderstand me. I’m not having a crack at anyone, I’m just intrigued about what it all says about branding and perceived values. But thanks for the gratuitous abuse anyway.
    How about a fake Tag Heuer then?

I’m just kind of intrigued that somehow these things looking like Oakleys makes them more desirable than budget shades that are probably as well or better specced. Is it just the novelty thing of them looking to all intents and purposes like Oakleys? I guess I don’t quite understand it

Sorry – was a bit harsh on my part –
    I’ve not bought any, but probably will.
    Its not because I want everyone to think they’re real (I ride in £7 Bolle safety specs at the moment) its more to do with the design of the frames, etc being good for riding in.
    I usually hate fake stuff, and avoid it like the plague, so in answer to your question, no – I wouldn’t buy a fake TAG, as I don’t think it would do the job either aswell or better than the watch I already have – whereas the fake Oakleys might do the job better that my £7 safety specs.

grum
    Free Member

Do you have a link?

Northwind

carbon337 – Member

But make you look an idiot.

Do you honestly think safety glasses look worse than Oakleys?

carbon337
    Free Member

Do you honestly think safety glasses look worse than Oakleys?

Yes

grum
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog

Dunno, I think Oakleys look stupid, especially the Jawbones, and I just bought some. I don’t think anyone looks that cool when out mountain biking though tbh, especially not me.

Just jumping on the bandwagon really, but I lose/break sunglasses with alarming rapidity, and these seemed probably as good as any. 🙂

Rochey
    Free Member

I have a set of Jawbones and love them but I have just bought these as a second pair – Oakley Radar copies £16.99, bargin.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200749926725?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

rOcKeTdOg

Not that much of a bargain, those are DX ones, cost $13 delivered from china

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘DX jawbone style glasses – compatibility with genuine jawbones?’ is closed to new replies.