Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • DX Helmet Light – Extension Cable – 2.1mm or 2.5mm jack?
  • FieldMarshall

Looking to get an extenion cable for the DX helmet light.

Has anybody bought one and what size did you get, as there appears to be two sizes for the end connectors of DC leads, i.e. 2.1mm or 2.5mm

Have tried measuring mine, but am unsure whether it is 2.1 or 2.5 as only have a crude tape measure.

Cheers

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i would like to know also. Is it just a standard dc male/female lead?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

bump

FieldMarshall

Did some more digging and it would seem that the size, i.e. 2.1 or 2.5mm refers to the central pin in the female part. (yes I am not an electrical expert!)

Have measured the leads that came with the DX and I am sure that it is 2.1mm. Although not easy to measure as the female connector is "recessed", no doubt to give it some kind of waterproofness.

Anyway I am going to take a chance on a 2.1 mm lead.

Oh and due to the fact that the female connector is recessed, I dont think a right angle lead, like the ones that Lumicycle sell will work, as it is not long enough, i.e. you need a straight male connector.

Hope this helps. But not guarantees until my lead arrives.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

can you give us a shout when it arrives please

racing_ralph
    Free Member

just bought a 2.5mm and a 2.1mm 1.5m extension cable for a total of £3.50 delivered from ebay – will report back if either fit

FieldMarshall

Have managed to find some old headcam power cables that are 2.1mm and can confirm that those fit and the light works. However, the ampage rating of the cable is not high enough for long duration use.

The only 2.1mm cables I can find are only rated at 1 Amp and looking the spec for the P7, I think you need something a bit higher, i.e. 2800mah.

Am looking at making up a 3amp cable. All parts available from Maplin.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

The 2.1mm from ebay works a treat

click here £1.79

rated at 5amps as well

FieldMarshall

Cheers Rob,

Based on one of your previous posts, I ordered that same one off ebay and as you say it's rated at 5amps, so should be more than adequate.

Hopefully it will show up before the next strike.

Glad you got it sorted.

ps How does the light switch on when using the extension cable, i.e. when I use mine with just the original cables, it "remembers" the mode in which it was turned off at. (There is just a quick flicker as the leads are connected).

But when using my "headcam" extension leads, it always turn on in full mode when the leads are connected. Maybe a voltage thing but who knows.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

not checked to be honest

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘DX Helmet Light – Extension Cable – 2.1mm or 2.5mm jack?’ is closed to new replies.