Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • DX battery care
  • dawson

Now that the evenings are lighter, my battery is not getting used as much – is there a preferred method of storage – i.e. keep it partially charged?

(I did do a search but seemed to get more results about mobile phone and laptop batteries)

robhughes
    Free Member

50% storage charge i think.
    Smudge,troutie or luminous will tell you the best way…

uphillcursing
    Free Member

In my opinion the best thing to do is to is:

1- buy a roll of self amalgamating tape and, after removing the heatshrink, cover copiously in accordance with instructions.(see point 3 and the ingress of water)

2- Buy a battery charger from a model aircraft supplier(or similar) capable of charging LiFe batteries and having a storage charging program to enable @50% max charge.

3- be prepare to remove the shabby “protection” circuitry clagged to one end as this is the weak link in the whole setup. (see point 1)

Caveat being I am no lighting expert.

jimmyjames
    Free Member

I seem to recall storing them at about 3.8V is a Good Thing. But I’m certainly no expert and if you can’t measure the voltage that doesn’t really help much anyway…

lightman
    Free Member

Yep, keep them at about 50% charge and in the fridge, NOT freezer.
    Li-ion don’t like heat, if you keep them lying around your living room at 20c, that will reduce their life considerably.
    I added this on DX.

Luminous
    Free Member

For my two penneth worth…

Get your Lithium Ion battery to around 40-50% charge and store somewhere cool.
    I wouldn’t put stuff in the fridge if I were you.
    Try to store somewhere cool and dry, at between 5-20 Deg C.
    perhaps once a month, check the battery charge and top-up if you want to.
    Frequency in checking the charge, and for how long your battery pack will hold its charge. Will be related to the quality of the battery pack, etc.

However, for truely informed advise, and for quality batteries, contact Smudge
    Hes a helpful chap.

😉

mintimperial

Right, so leaving them in a bucket of oily water for a week or two because you didn’t notice that your damn cat knocked one of the shelf isn’t the best storage method then? Mine seems to work okay still, for what it’s worth… 🙂

dawson

Thanks for the replies folks – its one of the second gen batteries with the digital display, its still showing 7.4v.

On some rides recently I’ve only needed it for 10-15mins to get me home on the road, I plan to run it down a bit more before I charge it next.

z1ppy

Mintimperial – IMPRESSIVE! 😈

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘DX battery care’ is closed to new replies.