Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dw 5 spot stiction problems?
  • renton
    Free Member

Ive got a problem with the rear suspension on my 5 spot in that there is a lot of stiction.

Ive removed the rear shock whilst the bike is upside down and the rear end still will not move without firce?

So ive started to strip the rear end off and most of the metal bushes that go through the plastic bits pressed into the frame are very stiff?

Everything is very dirty too.

I am going to try and rebuild it all but i have a feeling that i will need some new metal bits (the bits with the spiral on that the grease runs around) as apparently there is a new design with a hole drilled into them to help the grease flow?

Any ideas??

wrecker
    Free Member

Mine started off that way, but is as smooth as a babies bum now (Turner bushes). Do a full rebuild anyway, it’s not difficult and gives you a chance to give everything a good clean and full lube.

mactheknife

Firstly go onto the Mtbr forum, massive section on there for turner. That is pretty busy. Also silverfish should be the stockists for the kit you may need. Give the a call and they could advise you.

renton
    Free Member

I noticed that one of the chainstay bushes is very tight but the other comes out quite freely?

Vortexracing

Look on MTBR as been said before, you can ‘tweak’ the std bushes by gently abrading them using a socket and some light grade emery. this was suggested by dave Turner himself. Don’t touch the pivots!!!!!

The other way is to shell out £50 for the push ones from TFTune as I did.

problem solved, smooth as a babys bottom now.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice!!

Ive rebuilt it then and some of them have freed up a bit but I still have two that are solid and will only move with an Allen key in them? They are one of the seatstay ones and the rear dw link one?

have even give then a quick going over with some micromesh and that’s
    Made no difference? I even had to tap them into place with a soft hammer.

did notice they were done up really tight when I was removing them so I’m worried they may have mushroomed a bit?

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Look on MTBR as been said before, you can ‘tweak’ the std bushes by gently abrading them using a socket and some light grade emery. this was suggested by dave Turner himself. Don’t touch the pivots!!!!!

+1
    Fixed mine like this. It needed a bit of work to be fair so if you have some that are still stiff, have another shot and keep at them until they feel reasonably free. Once done they’ll last forever if you keep them greased.

renton
    Free Member

Which bit is the Bush? The plastic or the metal bit?

renton
    Free Member

Bump for the afternoon massive!!

Which bit do I need to sand down?

Vortexracing

the yellow plastic bit, thats the bush, the other is the pivot

renton
    Free Member

cheers vortex.

Is it just a case of sanding that down then until the pivot moves freely?

Ive put it all back to gether for now and can notice an improvement already !!!

Going to run it for a week or so just to see if they bed in a bit more.

Really considering the push ones but Ive not heard much about them to be honest?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dw 5 spot stiction problems?’ is closed to new replies.