Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • dw 5 spot initial impressions
  • renton
    Free Member

do you have a good email for greg as ive emailed turner through their site but had no reply ?/

can i strip the bushings out to have a look? i dont have the correct grease gun so was going to strip and clean them and grease by hand.

renton
    Free Member

just an update…
    ive took the cranks off and tried adding another spacer but there wasnt enough of the spline shaft left to clamp both bolts of the other crank arm onto.

ive also stripped the lower lingkage off as this is where im getting a knocking coming from. the bushes look brand new and are really tight. however there is a big bolt type thing that goes through the lower linkage which has an allen type fitting either side. between this and the black cover there is a slight bit of play, what i mean is that the black cover is moving a bit before coming into contact with the big bolt thing through the middle.

is this normal ??

oh and i unbolted the shock from the linkage and the rest of the suspension linkages are still quite tight ??

do they bed in a bit??

this is on an 09 bike that has been rode less than once a month for its entire life !!!

cheers

steve

Vortexracing

here you go

greg@turnerbikes.com

Mine seems to have took ages for it to loosen up.

If it’s an 09 then get anew linkage off greg that should stop the craking. It did on mine.

I still think there is something wrong with the cranks

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    renton
    Free Member

cheers vortex

i am going to try a mates brand new slx chainset on it on monday.

just out of interest ive noticed that the bottom bracket it an xt one not xtr ? would this make any difference at all?

cheers

steve

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

my 09 flux bushings are still tight.

Alledgedly, with the shock bolts undone, you should be able to compress the suspension from fully extended to compressed by just pushing down on your saddle with your fingers.

Mine are tighter than this.

Initially I found the main pivot bolt was wider at the ends than in the centre, which was one cause of the stiffness. Greg sent me a rebuild kit for it, which made it better.

The lower pivot bolts were a little tight as well – everything is now to torque settings on the turner site.

I also have replaced the shock reducers with the needle bearing kit:

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id275.html

in use though it is buttery smooth (shock is pushed as well now).

when you hit something on the trail, the suspension compresses up against your weight, which is different than the forces involved when you try to compress it by hand, so just see how it rides.

Everyone I have met on the trail with a 5 spot has raved about how nice the rear end/bike is (obviously I have never met Hora), so persevere.

Vortexracing

A couple of points TurnerGuy

1) Did you notice a big difference in peformance when you got the shock pushed (assuming its an RP2/3)

2) I’ve been looking at those shock bushes with reading about them on the MTBR Turner site(Needles) do you think they are a worthwhile upgrade?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The pivot shafts being over sized at the end was happening at least as far back as my 05 spot. I’d have thought they would have sorted that by now.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I did it whilst waiting 8 months for my collarbone to heal, so I can’t directly compare – but it does seem better – more refined.

Fox/Turner upgraded the reducers on the rp23 for ’10, but I don’t think they are as smooth as the needle bearings.

A pack has two sets, one for lower and one for upper. You don’t really need to fit the lowers as the shock doesn’t rotate round that one much.

I am in Surrey and have the fitting tools if you do decide to try them.

renton
    Free Member

can you explain the pivot shaft been to big at the end to me!!

my main pivot behind the shock on the seat tube is so tight that if i disconnect the shock and the swing arm from it i can just about move it by hand?? if i loosen it off so its nice and free there is a fair but of sideways movement in it.

my clunking is coming ffrom where the hex piece on the hex loc pivot link mates with the actual pivot with the spirals around it . its as though the hole is too big for the hex piece??

isogoat
    Free Member

The hex inserts on the black bits being loose in the shaft is one source of creaking. I got a new set from Turner and it’s been silent for a year. I grease it once a month max, unless the weather is terrible . . .

Ig

Vortexracing

cheers for the offer.

looks like the next purchase .

is the tool different to a normal bush tool?

Gary_C

Yup, as already said above, the creaking is due to the movement of the hex ‘pin’ that fits in the corresponding hex in the pivot pin.

The new parts that Turner will supply are made to tighter tolerances.

I had exactly the same issue with my ’09 5 Spot.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the tools are shown on a link at the bottom of the page I posted:

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id275.html

my suspension is quite stiff to move as well, but riding it doesn’t seem to matter.

Vortexracing

ah

Ta

renton
    Free Member

How is this for a reply from the man himself …………………

“We have extra 5 Spot rears around we can send out. Contact Luke at Turnerbikes and he can grab a rear for you to try, ship it out next week. Probably a tube that was welded off line, but the key points like pivots , dropouts etc were accurate since it looks straight. If you have it back together, ride the darn thing. It won’t harm the crank and the rear is due for replacement, never give up a weekend ride for a scratch that will be handled.

DT”

Ive also emailed them reference the lower dw linkage too !!!!

amazing

Vortexracing

Now that is customer service of the highest order.

They really know how to look after their customers/Riders.

Bregante

Amazing!

Crag
    Free Member

Gobsmacked! Absolutely amazing!

lowey

That right there is why Turner get my money.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

That right there is why Turner get my money.

+1

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Be nice if they left the factory right in the first place at the price they charge 😉

renton
    Free Member

I know what you are saying.

ive just tried a friends new slx chainset on it and yes the gap is larger but only a little and still not as much as the other side.

Greg from turner has emailed me asking for details about the frame and where i bought it from etc, just hope they still honour what they said on the mtbr forum even though im the second owner!!

Digger90
    Free Member

Be nice if they left the factory right in the first place at the price they charge

And every expensive bike made by every manufacturer has been perfect, right?

There is and always will be some error in every manufacturing process. Turner are no different in that regard, but they are very different than other manufacturer’s who I’ve had problem bikes from who foist the problem on you the customer. Basically their attitude was “You bought it – sod off” whereas Turner always give great service no matter if you are the first owner or the seventh. Now that is customer service.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Turner warranty goes with the Frame AFAIR.

renton
    Free Member

in the email he asked for my address to and also what colour the swing arm is at the moment.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘dw 5 spot initial impressions’ is closed to new replies.