Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • DW 5 spot any good?
  • renton
    Free Member

Im on the look out for a new bike and have been offered a dw 5 spot on here which im very tempted by but dont know anyone wit one.

any owners on here that can give me there opinions please!!

oh and would a large be ok for me at 6foot 1 ??
    cheers

steve

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ll let you know in a week or two, once Wheelies have sorted themselves out. 👿

convert

Large would be fine.

5 spot is a great, efficient longer travel trail bike. Not light but very well made. The older ones are steeper head tubed; the latest 2011 ones are slacker with a 1.5″ headtube. Personally I thought the old head angle was a better compromise between climbing and twisty performance and downhill capability. The 2011 version is either better if you truly do rock the downhill bits or need a bit of skill compensation & reassurance.

Highland28
    Free Member

I don’t own one myself but they are a very good bike. I was one of two option I had when buying my new frame last February. Ibis mojo and turner 5 spot dw. Having had a dw frame before I really wanted another so was struck between the 2. I was so close to buying a 5 spot as it was much cheaper than the mojo and I was unsure of the carbon in the mojo but an ibis came up at a really good price. I did a lot of research into the turner subsequently and found it to be a great frame for all rounder. It can be built as a hard hitter with coil shock and longer forks or amlighter weight xc machine. A great trail bike IMO.

batman11
    Free Member

Not riden one but have heard there pretty good only thing of note was it is a bit bindy due to the bush’s where as the bearing dw systems are much smoother. This came from a bike shop owner who had one as his own bike i met and had a chat to before getting my resont mistake :cry:….
    Bats.

Vortexracing

Love mine

Build it light with an air shock

P1030821 by eastham_david, on Flickr

or with a coil for a bit heavier duty riding

P1030566 by eastham_david, on Flickr

does nothing truly outstanding, just gets on with the job with no bother.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Thats re-assuring to hear – Thats exactly how I described my old HL one.

coogan
    Free Member

Ace. Love it. Mines a bit portly, but had a reet larf with it last year in France and Italy.

Frankers
    Free Member

Highland28 – Member
    I don’t own one myself but they are a very good bike.

Sorry but how can you comment on how good a bike is based on what you have read on the internet??

5 Spot is a great bike but for general XC/UK riding i preferred the Flux… having owned both i would buy a Flux over any plastic bike

ourkidsam
    Free Member

They seemed very popular around Edale today. About half a dozen on the Pootle

5spot
    Free Member

2011 5spot,great frames,2nd dw spot i have had hl & tnt spots but the dw is the best.I also have a dw 2010 flux. 😆

crofts2007
    Free Member

Spotted this on Pinkbike, looks like the owner isn’t getting on with it. Probably not done many miles.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/931389/

renton
    Free Member

Cheers for all the opinions so far.

Keep them coming and let’s get some more pics up too !

Cheers

Steve

Kiril
    Free Member

Rode one, was fine but didn’t blow me away and it was heavy for what I cycle for.

crofts2007
    Free Member

Running a ’09 Medium raw, just come back from Wales last weekend, Llandegla Friday; CYB Saturday and Cli-machx on Sunday; tackled the climbs well; with lots of fun on the downs.
    Think we did in the region of 43 miles over the three days.
    It has been the bike that has given me the most fun and confidence riding in the last 10+ years.
    Weight is around the 32 lbs mark, it is built up to tackle the ups and downs.
    I may replace it at some point, with the ’11 Spot; when funds allow.
    No-body has spotted that it is Horas’ frame for sale in my last post!

Vortexracing

yeah I noticed it, I don’t know the bloke but he seems abit ‘anal’ about his bikes.

I thought I was fussy but bloody hell he seems to want all the bikes to ride like his old SC 4X.

Might see if he wants to sell his headset 😆

BTW Crofts2007 Is your Van RC pushed or std and what weight does the Ti spring save?

crofts2007
    Free Member

@Vortexracing
    The shock is standard tune at the moment, I may get it Push tuned on a service run.
    Looking at the nukeproof site the 650 by 2 is 289g in Ti, 385g in steel.
    100g saving approx from my top maths!
    I just prefer the feel of a coil shock ride over air, I have the RP23 that came with the frame, it has been push tuned, I may try it again now I have done some miles on the bike for a comparison.

Crag
    Free Member

Really surprised at that weight Crofts. I know you gain a lb for the coil shock but thought it would be under the 30lb mark, makes me wonder what mine weighs in at – coil shock (with steel spring), coil Lyriks, gravity dropper etc etc. Dread to think! Still, pedals ok and doesn’t feel too sluggish.

RideAbility
    Free Member

I had one last year in Large (I’m 1m83, is that 6 feet?) and loved it!
    The main thing with it is how stiff the frame is, it makes it very fun/precise to ride. The bushings are also dealing really well with mud.
    To be honest, I will probably get another one next year!

Sanny
    Free Member

Not bad but not brilliant either. The bushings on mine don’t last as long as those on my old HL frame. The suspension squats down when manualling making the front wheel a bit of pain to loft over multiple waterbars. The old frame rode lighter and climbed better than the DW.

If I’m honest, the DW has been a bit disappointing. With the bushings kit costing £110 a pop, bearings look a lot more attractive these days.

Sizing wise, I’m 6ft 2 and the large feels a bit short. The XL was too big for me. I would prefer a longer tt for a given size to run a shorter stem.

I reckon my next bike will be an Intense Tracer 29er when the Turner breaks.

Cheers

Sanny

lowey

I moved in June from a HL 5 spot which had given me 7 solid years of riding to a DW spot. Its taken a long time to click, but I’m there now with the new bike and totally love it. Stiff and climbs brilliantly. Descending is superb, but you really do have to push it to get the best out of it. Mince on this bike and it will bite you.

Sanny
    Free Member

Oh and a couple of other things to consider. The Turner website recommends 17mm of sag. When I’ve run that, I’ve had a horrible metal on metal clunk occur which almost sounds like the swingarm hitting the seat tube. I’m not exactly a sturdy rider so not sure what the reason for it is but have ended up running less sag to compensate thus making the suspension feel a bit harsh. Ho hum!

To add to it, there is now an interesting creak coming from the head tube area. Methinks the frame could be getting replaced sooner rather than later.

renton
    Free Member

finally got it and here it is part way through being built up …………..

RideAbility
    Free Member

Very nice, but you will enjoy that frame a lot more with a shorter stem.

Sanny
    Free Member

Maguras? Hmmm! I hate to say this but I’ve had less than sterling luck with the Wotan’s I have. After 3 months of riding, mine developed an annoying top out clunk. Laziness on my part meant I never sent them back and it is a known problem on the Magura forum which didn’t affect performance. I stopped running them after that for several months until a trip to Spain when they performed fine other than the clunk. Not a biggie but a wee bit annoying. However, the rebound adjuster on the fork leg fell off on that trip. Not sure how as I didn’t crash at any point. The Maxxle didn’t seem to like running with Chris King hubs to the extent that the maxxle had to be pushed in with force. I tried a different hub (a Hope) and maxxle but it made no difference which would suggest that the maxxle holes weren’t properly aligned. Despite being well greased, I managed to bend the housing on the maxxle when I was trying to screw it in place. After that, on a tour of Mont Blanc a couple of weeks ago, the forks would compress down on descents to the extent that only approx 25mm of stachion was showing. It made things a bit, err, interesting. When I got back from the tour, the fork pump gauge showed that there was still plenty of pressure in the chamber. No idea of what the cause was but the forks are destined for the bin. They weren’t ridden enough to require a full service and when they were ridden, they weren’t particularly reliable. I’ll be sticking to Rock Shox in future. 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘DW 5 spot any good?’ is closed to new replies.