Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • DVLA SORN Confusion?
  • cbike
    Free Member

Do you need to sorn every year? Or is it now sorn until you wish to put vehicle back on the road?

Online and Telephone Both have no records but I received a reminder. I am vaguely aware there was a change recently? The telephone system says SORN is now indefinite?

chrisdw
    Free Member

Pretty sure it stays SORN until you tax it again.

CheesybeanZ

Sorn till its unsorn

cbike
    Free Member

Smashing. Thanks

trail_rat
    Free Member

used to be the case you had to sorn it each year – they stopped it this year.

scaredypants

I was fined one year for not re-SORNing 🙁

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Unless the DVLA monitor STW, you’re better off contacting them directly.

bigyinn
    Free Member

When I SORN’d my car it was for 12 months, you then get a renewal form to tax or SORN the vehicle for another 12 months. It doesnt stay SORN indefinitely.
    This was only about 4 years ago.

bigyinn
    Free Member

SORN

I’d read that as SORN until re-taxed or scrapped.

Gary_M
    Free Member

yeh its indefinite now. I got a renewal in a couple of weeks ago and its not very clear that you don’t need to renew on the document or the dvla website.

trail_rat
    Free Member

alot changes in 4 years .

i have 2 land rovers on sorn at the moment.

Stoner
    Free Member

the other thing to bear in mind, is that you must SORN if you are not insuring the vehicle too.

It’s a bit of a swizz, but they are using the SORN mechanism to capture non-insurance.

This particularly applies to classic cars with 0 rated VED where you fancy getting a new £0 disc each year, but you have the car off the road – say garaged for restoration work. You dont have it insured, but it is nominally “taxed”. By not having it SORN’d and not having insurance on it you are automatically fined. Stupid system.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Definitely indefinite now…

I tried unsuccessfully to re-sorn mine with the reminder document online. I eventually gave up and rang them only to get an automated message saying I didn’t need to do anything. Why they couldn’t put that on the website is a mystery.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘DVLA SORN Confusion?’ is closed to new replies.