Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • DVLA on Watchdog
  • carlos
    Free Member

They have just been on about driving license’s not being valid and people have to re-take their test etc.. due to the expiry date, section 4b.

Just checked both ours and they run out next year??? Last time mine was updated or changed for any reason was when I last moved house, which was in 2003, thats only 8 yrs. The Mrs had her’s changed last month due to change of name and she only has a year left according to them???

Anyone else??

Or am I missing something due to a Bank Holiday Monday night tipple???

jova54
    Free Member

That’s because the renewal date is based upon the date the original photocard licence was issued not when it was last updated.

matthew_h
    Free Member

You don’t have to retake your test, you just need to re-apply, and pay for, for the photocard part. It’s a bit of a con but does keep the photo relatively up to date and is in line with your passport.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Stop fussing. I have to have a new one every 3 years ‘cos I’m a diabetic

simon_g

As Matt says, it’s the photo that expires (most people look different after a decade) hence the renewal. They save you some time/aggro by not demanding a new photo whenever you move or change entitlements.

Smee
    Free Member

If only folk had to resit their test. It’s coming though. 😀

carlos
    Free Member

Fair enough (goes for another chilled can)

TheSanityAssassin

I’ve still got (the battered remnants of) a paper licence. Do I need to get it replaced with a new photo jobby?

MrsToast
    Free Member

Just had to renew the photo on mine as I’ve now been driving for 10 years. Bizarrely, it said on the one side of the form that the fee was £17.50, but on the other side it said £20. Sent £20, just to be on the safe side.:/

guido

Assasin, i got pulled over and the hippy beaters (sorry police) said that if im caught agian without a new card licence i would get a £400 fine.
    I also tried to rent a van and they would not accept a paper licence.

TheSanityAssassin

guido – Member
    Assasin, i got pulled over and the hippy beaters (sorry police) said that if im caught agian without a new card licence i would get a £400 fine.
    I also tried to rent a van and they would not accept a paper licence.

Interesting…

I hired a box van 18 months ago and there were no problems. Is there something online that states the official position on this, as I haven’t heard anything to say it’s compulsory now?

Joxster
    Free Member

Interesting…

I hired a box van 18 months ago and there were no problems. Is there something online that states the official position on this, as I haven’t heard anything to say it’s compulsory now?

Have you seen the amount of debt the UK is in, you have to change your licence every six months.

guido

Dont know assasin, but its odd that both the beaters and the rental company said the same.
    In the end i got a van (diffrent company)but had to leave my paper licence and my passport.
    So i would imagine its a good idea to change in case of ‘jobsworths’
    they also get you free stuff (entrance fees etc) in europe as it says UK on it and my picture so i changed.

chela
    Free Member

Yeah, someone told me about this the other month. Every ten years you have to pay them £17 squid for them to do the ball-achingly labour-intensive and five-second-consuming job of changing the photo on your card. Or apparently you *will* get fined. Though they would say that. But some people have been, and upto a grand or something wildly OTT for the ‘crime’.

It’s a total swiss/stealth tax/job-creation nonsense. I’ve not wasted the money yet cuz I lost my photo license ten years ago and nobody’s ever asked for it since.

Obvz now I said this I’ll be asked for it tomorrow and subsequently fined a thousand squid. Ho hum.

IdleJon

There is also an obvious point raised above – why do you need to change your actual licence when you change address? The licence is for you, not the house. Is that not another ‘stealth tax’?

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Been a big fuss in the motorcycle press over peoples motorcycle entitlement being “missed off” their new licences.

http://www.carreg.co.uk/number_plates/get_news/75

The DVLA claim to have no record of these people having taken their bike tests!
    I advise anyone to take a copy of their old licence before applying for a new one.

tankslapper
    Free Member

TS – DVLA? Oh! Hello! Good morning, I’ve just been given 3 points on my licence by your North Wales Taliban. The problem is my licence is a Northern Irish one.

DVLA Sansea – Oh dear! Mr TS You will have to register for a new licence here as you no longer live in Northern Ireland

TS – Are you telling me where I can and can not live within the U.K?

DVAL Swansea – You can only live at your HOME address

TS – That’s easy home is where I grew up

DVLA Swansea – but you no longer live there!

TS – It’s still home

DVLA Swansea – But Mr TS we can not put points on your licence!

TS – Why thank you……………

zokes
    Free Member

Excellent Shane! A While back our lab tech had an ‘incident’ involving him being d/qed for 2 weeks and 6 points. Only none at the DVLA seemed to have any record of this. He checked and checked again when his insurance came up for renewal, and just gave up in the end, accepting that his license was clean after all!

MrsToast
    Free Member

But some people have been, and upto a grand or something wildly OTT for the ‘crime’.

I believe the fine is supposed to be £1000 for every year the license is incorrect.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Cheers Mark – never used to be sooo anti-establishment but FFS HOME is where you choose to live. Surely that’s a basic freedom?

Mrs.T Describe incorrect?

Sandwich

Hippy beaters and van hire companies both wrong (suprise). This leaflet http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/d100.pdf from DVLA clearly states that your paper licence is valid until your 70th birthday. (Leaflet dated 01/04/09)!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

photo licenses for hire companies is a condition of their insurance and/or company policy.

Drac

Van company wasn’t wrong many now insist of new style licence, it’s there policy rather than the law. As for the Police well if it depends if the licence is in a mess and not very readable then your supposed to renew it. I had to renew mine for that very reason it was in a mess so had to be replace.

Moses

I hired from one of the biggest compnaies (Budget, possibly) in January using a paper licence, with no problems.

epicyclo

Why do you have to have an address for a driving licence?

Your car can be your home.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

My understanding is that if you have to replace your licence for any reason then it has to be with a photo one. You don’t need to replace just to have a photo one.
    You are required to keep the information on it up to date ie name, address extra and you can get fined for it being incorrect. As for the replacing it thing £17.50 is a dam sight cheaper than a passport after 10 years.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘DVLA on Watchdog’ is closed to new replies.